News Article: Tie goes to the prospect?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
" I know he spent the whole second half of last season not practicing because of his back."
:help:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Many of the interviews seem to contradict each other. I think it's still likely that Rasmussen is the only guy likely to make the team in October regardless of how camp and preseason goes. The rest will get time later on. I'm fine with that, but after this season this team should be past this stage and ready to try and be more competitive.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
They have actually been saying that for years now. Talk is cheap.

To me these sound like fresh ideas from Blashill we haven't really heard before.

I think one of the big keys is that when you are a playoff team on an annual basis, the right move is that when a young player and a veteran player are tied, the tie goes to the veteran. When you are a team that hasn’t made the playoffs for two years and a young player and a veteran player are tied, I think now the tie should go to the young player. And I say that because we need different results, and part of having different results is improving internally, and that can come with new guys being in spots.

Last season Blashill talked about "stock" and resume, this is a different tune.

Certainly what has been done isn’t good enough, so therefore we have to make sure we keep an open mind that if there are young players, regardless of if they don’t have a built-in resume, if we believe they are better than guys with better resumes in terms of NHL experience, then they should play.

I hope he (Zadina) can come in and make our team. If he makes our team, it means we just got better. He is going to have to earn it, but if he does make it, that means we’re better.

Sure they're just words but you've got to like the spirit of Blashill's outlook.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
Very promising interview.. I hope Zadina makes it out of camp and I think Rasmussen will make the big squad only if Z retires, I can't see there being room though if Z is back another year. We should find out soon though if Z is back.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Retire.

Free up a spot. Help the tank.

Sounds good to me.
Tanking is a bad idea , I 'd rathe see .500 team then dumpster. Just look at Edmonton or Colorado . We just have huge draft , we need to teach kids to fight not to tank

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Tanking is a bad idea , I 'd rathe see .500 team then dumpster. Just look at Edmonton or Colorado . We just have huge draft , we need to teach kids to fight not to tank
The difference between a .500 team and a dumpster is basically nonexistent to me. They both look godawful. One is slightly more godawful. Doesn't do much for me.

Yes, there are bad tank teams. There are also many good tank teams. I think our chances of contending sooner are better through a tank than not. That's all there is to it.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
The difference between a .500 team and a dumpster is basically nonexistent to me. They both look godawful. One is slightly more godawful. Doesn't do much for me.

Yes, there are bad tank teams. There are also many good tank teams. I think our chances of contending sooner are better through a tank than not. That's all there is to it.
if you talk about Teams like Toronto or Washington , I agree with you , but wat they did they trade away best players and try to be very good team very next year . We tank last year and that is enough . Carolina , NJ or Phily didn't tank to got good players

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
I’m all for a good draft pick but I’d be worried if the Wings didn’t improve in the standings. It would mean the young players aren’t improving. With Mantha and Larkin being the go to guys now it would mean they are being outplayed regularly. The defense will lose games sure but with the steps we hope the young guys take it also means winning more games than last year.

In a perfect world Mantha hits 30 goals, Larkin pushes 80 points, Ras scores 20 goals, AA hits 50 points and Hronek gets 30 points. A little hopeful but I’d be a lot more optimistic about the future opposes to another identical season to last year

Reactions: lilidk

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
if you talk about Teams like Toronto or Washington , I agree with you , but wat they did they trade away best players and try to be very good team very next year . We tank last year and that is enough . Carolina , NJ or Phily didn't tank to got good players
Or Pittsburgh. Or Chicago. Both tanked. Both got great players. Both now have 3 cups in the post cap era.

With a little luck and competence, it can work.

And again, what is the real difference between a team like Carolina/Detroit and Buffalo? Whether you're losing 60 games or 45 games, honestly it doesn't make a huge difference to me. Whoopdedoo. We won a few more games. We're still in the clear bottom half the league. We're still nowhere near contending. The joy I get out of wins during the regular season when I know we're still not going to make the playoffs or compete for the cup is minimal. I get far more joy out of each win when there's an actual chance to compete. I'm not alone. Plenty of fans of bottom feeders hate wins and cheer losing. They don't get joy out of winning. Why? Because it lessens their chances at a great player and because even if they were to win, so what? It's meaningless. There's no playoffs for them. A win is pointless. Your goal every year is to win the cup. If that's impossible then what good are wins?

That's my math. You might have different math.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Very promising interview.. I hope Zadina makes it out of camp and I think Rasmussen will make the big squad only if Z retires, I can't see there being room though if Z is back another year. We should find out soon though if Z is back.
Did you not read the part where he said Rass was the only kid he thinks is NHL ready right now? Rass will play on this roster before little z does.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Did you not read the part where he said Rass was the only kid he thinks is NHL ready right now? Rass will play on this roster before little z does.
I should hope that how they do in the training camp and preseason should be more of a consideration for where they start the season rather than what he thinks of them now.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It’s hard to tank if you’re not incompetent though. Reason Toronto could do it was they had a long run of incompetence resulting in a barren prospect pool and bad character and a mentally weak team with very little depth.
Chicago/Pit tanked through incompetence as well.

If we want to tank we might need to put Ras in juniors and Zadina/Hronek in AHL. That could be bad hockey decisions AND bad development decisions.
Strongest tank move would also be trading Larkin for a 1st round pick.
Many of these things simply go against every instinct in the brain and body of smart hockey people. We’ll never tank as ”good” as truly incompetent teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->