OT: Ticket Thread - 2019/20 (Make sure to read rules on post 1 before posting tix!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I sold two games in March that were already paid for, a couple of other games were spoken for. I venmo'd back the money to one person and have to contact the other person since she paid in January. I rather refund their money now instead of doing it later, when/if the NHL cancels. Maybe it's premature... But that's money they can probably use right now. And I rather not spend it and have to worry about owing people money down the road.

I did opt to "skip" the April payment. I hope to be able to pay the March payment off in full on my CC if unemployment comes through.

I can't help but laugh that Jacobs must be so PO'd the Bruins didn't clinch a playoff spot with the pay as they play plans. @talkinaway I'm sure you could switch your playoff payment plan. It's worth asking about.

Good to see you stranger :)

Reactions: WickedBruinsGirl

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I sold two games in March that were already paid for, a couple of other games were spoken for. I venmo'd back the money to one person and have to contact the other person since she paid in January. I rather refund their money now instead of doing it later, when/if the NHL cancels. Maybe it's premature... But that's money they can probably use right now. And I rather not spend it and have to worry about owing people money down the road.

I did opt to "skip" the April payment. I hope to be able to pay the March payment off in full on my CC if unemployment comes through.

I can't help but laugh that Jacobs must be so PO'd the Bruins didn't clinch a playoff spot with the pay as they play plans. @talkinaway I'm sure you could switch your playoff payment plan. It's worth asking about.
I never got notice about skipping a payment

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

The 2020 playoff tickets can't charge - I forgot about the clause that we only get charged if we clinch the playoffs...and we haven't clinched. You're right that if we'd clinched, it would definitely be worth checking out switching into pay-as-we-play. Frankly, either way it probably won't matter, since I sincerely doubt the playoffs will be played...but they might, and I can see how they can't offer refunds to people who are in "binding" contacts. You could have a large group of STHs cancel playoff tickets, which increases supply, which decreases price, which pisses off STHs who already paid for the tickets and are keeping them.

Good on you for your prompt repayment for the tickets, WBG. Definitely way more ethical than the NHL - while playoffs may happen, and perhaps play-in games for a 24-team playoff format, those six games are toast. Hopefully the Bruins can get us our money back soon...which would mean the NHL would have to cancel all regular season games.

@Ladyfan - the form for a deferred payment for 10-month plans is here:

Restructured Payment Plan for 2020-21 Tickets - Formstack

You might send your rep an email just to see if it's available to you, or you could plug your info in there and see if it works. You'll need your account number, which is available either on your account page or on the Season Pass thingy they gave us at the start of the year.

I don't know if only certain accounts are eligible, but I would think they would offer it to ALL 10-month plans.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The 2020 playoff tickets can't charge - I forgot about the clause that we only get charged if we clinch the playoffs...and we haven't clinched. You're right that if we'd clinched, it would definitely be worth checking out switching into pay-as-we-play. Frankly, either way it probably won't matter, since I sincerely doubt the playoffs will be played...but they might, and I can see how they can't offer refunds to people who are in "binding" contacts. You could have a large group of STHs cancel playoff tickets, which increases supply, which decreases price, which pisses off STHs who already paid for the tickets and are keeping them.

Good on you for your prompt repayment for the tickets, WBG. Definitely way more ethical than the NHL - while playoffs may happen, and perhaps play-in games for a 24-team playoff format, those six games are toast. Hopefully the Bruins can get us our money back soon...which would mean the NHL would have to cancel all regular season games.

@Ladyfan - the form for a deferred payment for 10-month plans is here:

Restructured Payment Plan for 2020-21 Tickets - Formstack

You might send your rep an email just to see if it's available to you, or you could plug your info in there and see if it works. You'll need your account number, which is available either on your account page or on the Season Pass thingy they gave us at the start of the year.

I don't know if only certain accounts are eligible, but I would think they would offer it to ALL 10-month plans.
Thanks !

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
On a side note has anyone received the STH early renewal gift yet?

I remember one of the emails and/or screens said that they'd ship (or it would arrive) in April, so we're technically not there yet, at least for my gift. I'm not particularly anxious for it - I got the poofy coat, and that'll be useless by the time it gets here anyway, probably. Not like I'm going out anywhere for a couple months....

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
You think that's a priority right now for the organization ?? Shipping STH gifts?? :laugh:

I mean...what other priorities do they have at the moment?

I'd argue that STH engagement should be the organization's #1 priority right now.

Reactions: BruinsFan0877

nickyb

May 5, 2004
I mean...what other priorities do they have at the moment?

I'd argue that STH engagement should be the organization's #1 priority right now.

Aren't they low on man-power right now due to layoffs??

I don't know, maybe it's just me.......but the thought of expediting shipping of hoodies and puffy jackets seems comical at the moment......to each their own though.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Aren't they low on man-power right now due to layoffs??

I don't know, maybe it's just me.......but the thought of expediting shipping of hoodies and puffy jackets seems comical at the moment......to each their own though.

No, I get that, and I understand they've had to lay folks off. Maybe using the mailing of the gifts to make the point wasn't the right approach - but with whatever manpower they do have, I think engagement of STH during this time is a really important activity they should be investing time in.

nickyb

May 5, 2004
No, I get that, and I understand they've had to lay folks off. Maybe using the mailing of the gifts to make the point wasn't the right approach - but with whatever manpower they do have, I think engagement of STH during this time is a really important activity they should be investing time in.

Agreed on that, hopefully the season resumes!! :)

Reactions: Kate08

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
You think that's a priority right now for the organization ?? Shipping STH gifts?? :laugh:

Obviously its not a high priority - I was just wondering when they were expecting to send out the gifts and more importantly that if they did send then a while back that my order wasn't MIA. Odds are that fulfillment house will be handling this and not the Bruins itself anyways.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
@Fenway posted this in the COVID-19 thread, but it's also relevant here...

Trying to get ticket refunds for concerts, sporting events? You're not alone

Paul Rogers spent $819 to purchase three tickets to take his grandson to the Bruins-Maple Leafs NHL game scheduled back on March 14. But two days before the game, the NHL put the season on pause. The game never happened, but Rogers can't get a refund because the NHL hasn't technically canceled it. Instead, wealthy team owners are holding on to fans' ticket money.

"A situation like this, you can't even get a refund? That's terrible," said Rogers.

Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey says this issue is on her radar and ticket holders who can't get refunds should file a complaint with her office.

"I understand the argument some [teams or concert promoters] are making here, but we've got to face the reality here," said Healey, indicating that it'll likely be a long time before large events resume. "People are hurting right now. They need the money in their pocket, and they don't need to be held hostage."

The NHL did not respond to an email seeking updated guidance for ticket holders.

I'm mixed. On the one hand, I get that the Bruins can't refund tickets to the six remaining home games to STHs because, theoretically, they could still be played. We entered into a contract to buy all home games, and, legally speaking, we can be held to that. And, besides, the Bruins are beholden to the NHL, so they can't do anything, can they?

But, let's face it - the NHL is purposely dragging their feet, along with the NBA, in cancelling the season. And who's the chairman of the Board of Governors? (Hint: Release the hounds!)

I can't envision a scenario in which I'd feel comfortable going to the regular season games soon. Maybe we open with the regular season in September, but is it right to hold us to going to those games without an exit option? Clearly, a lot of people won't feel comfortable going, particularly older STHs.

And, despite the fact that we will all be starved for any kind of sports by then, those tickets will be devalued to the point where STHs might regret having bought their package. Marchand even said yesterday that without a practice/mini-camp, the first games back would be "ugly", and I can see where he's coming from. Not to mention that the "improved" seating we were promised (was it ever really going to be improved?), the improved ice, and the new scoreboard are all now fantasies for next season, whenever that is.

Maura Healey's held the collective feet of the Jacobs clan to the fire recently - she finally got them to announce a meager package to help employees IF the games are cancelled. Maybe she can help encourage the NHL and NBA to formally cancel the season, getting us our money back. I'd much rather give that money away in well-deserved tips and it in the hands of the people who are delivering my groceries and food, rather than in some amorphous Buffalo blob.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

In fairness to the Bruins, concerts are a little different than sports. Number one, there are no (or very few) season ticket holders for concerts. Number two, I think more people tend to "make a trip" to catch a specific summer concert - if a game gets cancelled, it can be replaced fairly easily because most people are local. I don't have numbers to back that up - just a general feeling. There are people who come from Toronto to see a Bruins/Leafs game - but there are also people who come from Topeka to see a Dua Lipa concert because she's not going to Topeka anytime soon.

The fair thing for the Bruins to do, which would buck the trend for the rest of the NHL, would be to offer full refunds. If the games get played (which they won't), the Bruins are stuck with the inventory - and I'm not sad about it at all. The NHL is a multi-billion dollar industry, and can afford it. People who are at risk aren't forced to make a decision: go and risk their health, eat the ticket, or sell it on the secondary market for pennies on the dollar. Yes, STHs signed a contract in March of 2019, and it allowed for cancellation or rescheduling of games. But the expectation is that the rescheduling is typically within the October to April season, with maybe the extension of the regular season into later April in rare circumstances. A regular season money grab game in September isn't what we signed up for. A nine-month interest-free loan to the Boston Bruins Professional Hockey Association, Inc. isn't what we signed up for.

BruinsFan0877

May 22, 2009
Boston, MA
I am concerned about the remaining 6 games as well, but I have a big issue making more payments for 2020-21 tickets starting in May when we have no idea when the 2019-2o season will get back underway let alone 2020-21. From reading this article, even if/when it does, we all aren't going to be able to be at the game. I plan to email my rep today and ask if they plan to defer payments again given the uncertainty. I love the Bruins on ice team, of course, but don't have a lot of good things to say about the off ice operations, so I'm not optimistic.

What will the sports fan’s experience look like after coronavirus? - The Boston Globe

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I am concerned about the remaining 6 games as well, but I have a big issue making more payments for 2020-21 tickets starting in May when we have no idea when the 2019-2o season will get back underway let alone 2020-21. From reading this article, even if/when it does, we all aren't going to be able to be at the game. I plan to email my rep today and ask if they plan to defer payments again given the uncertainty. I love the Bruins on ice team, of course, but don't have a lot of good things to say about the off ice operations, so I'm not optimistic.

What will the sports fan’s experience look like after coronavirus? - The Boston Globe

Agree. I'm very concerned about next season and how it will be handled.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Yup, I meant to email my rep this morning about this very same issue. I'm glad for the 10-monthers that they deferred the April payments, but actually, it's not quite a deferment. I am owed by the Bruins $396 for the six regular season games, and got a deferment of $310.50. To me, that still puts the Bruins at about $85 in the "naughty" column.

And for people who dropped season tickets, it's even worse, since they still have their money held hostage, and don't get any deferment.

The other thing to consider is that the six games that are going to be cancelled will be six premium games. All late-season, with 4 being divisional, including a juicy Saturday Toronto game. Of the other two, there's a CBJ clunker on Monday, and the shirt-off-our-backs game against CAR. Those games are worth well more than 6/44 of my season ticket package, just like the three preseason games are worth far LESS than 3/44 of my season ticket package.

Of course, the Bruins are losing out too, so I don't expect any type of extra consideration. If the 2020-21 season starts to get shortened, they might start to offer a deal where they keep your money in return for stupid bonuses, like they did for the lockout. Get ready for your jumbo homecooked meatballs and a healthy wrap! (Wait, it's the Bruins...I mean -OR- a healthy wrap.)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Anxious sports fans wonder when they will get their ticket money back - The Boston Globe

Local ticket re-seller Ace Ticket is offering refunds for most tickets it sold to Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, and Revolution games, but Ace is an outlier in the resale market.

On Monday in California, two frustrated baseball fans, one holding tickets to a Yankees-Red Sox game in May, filed a federal lawsuit against Major League Baseball, all 30 teams, and ticket re-sellers, a case that could turn into a nationwide class-action suit.

Industry giant StubHub faces a federal lawsuit in Wisconsin, with an NHL ticket-holder filing a $5 million class-action case alleging StubHub breached its contract by changing its policy for coronavirus-impact reasons late in March and only offering 120 percent StubHub vouchers for future use rather than the choice of getting a full refund.

StubHub sells and buys tickets from individuals. Ace Ticket’s business model is different; it buys ticket inventory directly from teams and their ticket vendors.

Ace owner Jim Holzman has seen his sales plummet 90 percent since the NBA shut down March 11. Instead of selling thousands of tickets a day, he said he now sells four. He is using the profits he’s made over the last decade to keep his $60 million company moving forward and retaining his 40 employees because “that’s my responsibility as a business owner, I accept that.”

It’s also why he is offering refunds to every possible buyer who bought a ticket to a local game through his company. Sometimes that’s not possible because of transferability issues concerning electronic tickets, but otherwise, Holzman sees it as his duty to have given refunds to “thousands of Red Sox tickets and hundreds of Celtics and Bruins.”

Holzman has processed 13 April Red Sox games and is getting to the 16 games in May next.

“I’m taking a risk there; if the Red Sox don’t do refunds, I’m holding the bag there, but I owe it to customers to do the right thing,” said Holzman. “April games aren’t being played, so how can I hold somebody’s money for games that aren’t being played?

"We’re trying to do the right thing. Even though they aren’t giving refunds, we are.”

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Neely's Zoom talk last evening to the STHs seemed to further the chatter that the league really, really, really wants to play not only the 2020 playoffs, but finish the last 10-13 games of 2019-2020 regular season, AND play all 82 games of the 2020-21 season. Plus, there's going to be 2-3 weeks for the players to ramp up and get prepared for the games so that injuries don't happen.

Yeah, that and everyone gets a free puppy. I admire the commitment, and the players seem to echo it, and I think from at least the players it's not greed but really loving the game and wanting to get back out there and play. But I can't see how you can go at least 3 months without playing any games and restart without losing ANY games. And that's being highly optimistic with a June starting date.

There's a French word that applies here, and it's much more pleasant than it is elsewhere: triage. What's most important? Personally, I think the order should be 2020 playoffs, 2020-21 regular season, and then the 10 games from this past season. I think the league would agree - they do NOT want to cut the playoffs at all, since that's the big moneymaker...but if the playoffs are without fans in the stands, that cuts a lot of the revenue, especially for Delaware North.

And, of course, I read somewhere that JJ wants TD Garden to be considered as one of the hub sites if they choose 4 or 6 "central" arenas to host all the regular season games. Shocker - I'm sure the NHL will be willing to pay him a pretty penny as he's such a great host.

Oh, and I actually got a call back from the AG's office about the regular season games, so kudos to them for being responsive in this hectic time. They basically said to contest the charge with my credit card company, which I had already done...we'll see how that plays. I only contested the last charge - I figure getting the money back for 4.4 games is a good enough start. Hopefully Coakley will sink her teeth into JJ's hiney.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Gonna play Kreskin here, and guess vaguely what the Sox are going to announce tomorrow. You can give up your season tickets, full refund, but they're all gone, and you lose the rights to your seat forever (ie get back on the "waiting list"). Or you can hold your tickets and wait for the games to be formally cancelled. Or maybe they offer to defer a payment or two - I don't know the Sox payment plans.

If the entire 2020 season winds up being cancelled with respect to fan attendance, I'm guessing you will have three options: full refund and keep your seat for next year, full refund and drop your tickets at whenever the renewal deadline is, OR push your money forward to 2021 with some kind of "jumbo homemade meatball" bonus. Food credit, Red Sox experiences, Sox merch.

BTW, classic NESN logo sighting!

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Some news from the Bruins to STHs this AM:

While the remaining six home games of the 2019-20 regular season have not been officially canceled, the Boston Bruins will be providing flexibility to Season Ticket Holders. We will be applying your credit for these six games toward your next payment for the 2020-2021 season. We hope you will find this to be helpful as we continue to look forward to the return of Bruins hockey.

Should the NHL allow the remaining six games to be played at TD Garden as planned, you will have the opportunity to re-purchase your seats for those games.

If you wish to opt out of this rollover program and receive a refund instead, please request here. Please contact your Fan Relations Account Executive directly with any questions or concerns.

So, for 10-month plan people, it sounds like we paid 10% in March, got April rolled into May-December, and then all of May's payments (for 4.95 games) and a little of June's (about 1 game's worth, depending on your price hike) will be covered by the six unplayed regular season games. If this is to avoid credit card refund/charging fees and keeps the accounting internal to the Bruins, this actually makes sense.

Still, it took them quite awhile to figure this out, and the games are still "postponed", meaning TD Garden workers still don't have access to JJ's imaginary $1.5M fund. Also - the wording if they do play regular season games in the future is a little strange. STHs have the "opportunity" to buy the 6 games. Do we have to? Personally, as touching as the "first game back at the Garden" will be, I have absolutely no interest in going until it's safe. I'm happy to watch it on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad