OT: Ticket Thread - 2019/20 (Make sure to read rules on post 1 before posting tix!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
2019 Playoff renewal prices for corner balcony shoot 2x, third row: 74/111/148/185 = $2072, plus $20 (and optional $16).

2020 Playoff renewal prices, two rows worse, 8% decrease in size of seat: 85/126/170/253 = $2536, plus $25 (and optional $16 for pay-as-we-play).

Increases by round are 15%, 14%, 15%, 37% (!).

Data from last year: Cheapest average get-in prices I could find on the secondary market (or sometimes even primary!) for each round were 142/132/137/588. Yes, that's right - rounds 1 through 3 averaged about the same, primarily because round 1 was TOR, round 2 didn't have a game 7 and was against CBJ, and round 3 only lasted for game 1 and 2 against CAR. If you throw in the games that weren't played, it's 142/156/204/588, but that assumes you're buying a game 7 ticket a week away from the game. The actual average price would probably be way lower than 204 for round 3.

Tickets were mostly rows 13+ on the shoot 1x end, so worse than my ticket.

My renewed take: This may be reasonable, but it still suuuuucks. Last year, I saved $274 total on my 4 round 1 tickets - thanks, Leafs. Round 2 I only saved $63, and round 3 I spent $22 MORE as a STH than I would have scavenging on the interwebs. But holy crap, I saved $1,610 on SCF tix. If home games 1-4 of the SCF cost a total of $2350 on the resale market like they were last year, then $253 per game is still actually reasonable.

I think they realized that they WAY underestimated what people would pay for SCF tix on the secondary market, so they're trying to claw back some of that. But will people really be spending that kind of money two years in a row if we make it to the SCF again? Perhaps, especially if Sox ticket sales are down 15%. People are gonna need something to do in June.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Problem is they are raising prices so much they are almost forcing their STH to sell secondary just to not go bankrupt. But place is always soldout so I guess they know what they are doing. If the B's get a 1st round matchup against a Carolina or Columbus good luck selling. Best hope is Toronto/Philly

OR, and this is crazy...

they raised playoff prices BECAUSE so many STH sold secondary in prior years. They see what the market can be, and they adjust. Why should you profit off of their product? Shouldn’t they want that cut?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
OR, and this is crazy...

they raised playoff prices BECAUSE so many STH sold secondary in prior years. They see what the market can be, and they adjust. Why should you profit off of their product? Shouldn’t they want that cut?

I agree with this. It's a delicate balance. Clearly, if secondary market prices are way higher than their primary prices, and the tickets are actually selling on the secondary market, then the primary prices are too low, and it's logical for the Bruins to raise them. That's exactly what happened with the SCF pricing, IMO.

On the other hand, they need to ensure that STHs get an adequate discount, since that's the reason many STHs commit to 44 games a year. It's like buying the jumbo can of cheez ballz at Costco - you should pay less because you're buying in bulk, and you're committing your resources (aka money) early to them, and not their competitor. That can come in many forms: the main form is, of course, getting your tickets cheaper than the secondary market. But I don't think even the most rabid fan can make all 44 games, so you should be able to sell your ticket for a very fair price - and make at least a tiny profit - if you miss some.

It's a tough balance, and an interesting lesson in the economy.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I agree with this. It's a delicate balance. Clearly, if secondary market prices are way higher than their primary prices, and the tickets are actually selling on the secondary market, then the primary prices are too low, and it's logical for the Bruins to raise them. That's exactly what happened with the SCF pricing, IMO.

On the other hand, they need to ensure that STHs get an adequate discount, since that's the reason many STHs commit to 44 games a year. It's like buying the jumbo can of cheez ballz at Costco - you should pay less because you're buying in bulk, and you're committing your resources (aka money) early to them, and not their competitor. That can come in many forms: the main form is, of course, getting your tickets cheaper than the secondary market. But I don't think even the most rabid fan can make all 44 games, so you should be able to sell your ticket for a very fair price - and make at least a tiny profit - if you miss some.

It's a tough balance, and an interesting lesson in the economy.

amen. Ticket resale has always fascinated me and that delicate balance you mention has a lot to do with it.

This is only an Issue because the team is fantastic and demand is still up. Hockey is an expensive ticket as is. If one person won’t pay the 5 percent increase there are 100 people that will. It keeps STH prices sky high, lowers the inventory to the gen pub and prices out almost everybody. I used to be upset about it, but it’s all business. I just accept that i can’t afford hockey right now like i used to 10-15 years ago.

Hnidy Hnight

Dec 21, 2006
North of Boston, MA
My $64 center ice balcony seats jumped to $69. Perfect storm of rising economy, and fantastic team product over the last few years. Stinks, but somebody will buy mine if I don’t renew.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I caved and renewed this afternoon, after noting that the bulk of the playoff increase is in the SCF. For those perusing the menu of STH gifts, you can't see the inventory left until you renew, so I figured I'd fill any STHs here in. There looks to be plenty of inventory on each of those items left...so far.

The suite tickets in Philly, the "get your item signed by the team", the puffy jacket, "get your picture taken with every Bruin guaranteed", and "three free beers at the Garden" (aka $50 Garden card) are all gone. I snagged a puffy jacket before they ran out, but wanted the team signed item or the fast pass....but I'll take it as a minor victory.

The options left are the duffel bag, speaker/charger package, the "random crap the intern found in the desk drawer" package (cheap drawstring backpack, license plate holder, beanie, and flag), the hoodie, and the hat.

I'll give them credit...it's better than the mug that they gave at the team event, unless you get stuck with the random crap.

The one thing I wonder...with 60 fast passes out there in the wild for the team event (50 in the catalogue plus 10 given at games)...that means about 1 hour or so of each player's time will be spent taking fast pass photos at the team event - maybe less, I dunno. That leaves, what, maybe 90-120 minutes for each player to taking pictures with us plebs?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Mine went up .$7

Playoffs went up way too much:

R1 $196
R2 $298
R3 $374
R4 $586

:help:

50 years ago when Bobby scored the goal a ticket in the high section of the lower bowl at Boston Garden went for $7 and fans were irate. Back then all playoff rounds were the same price.

boston-bruins-1969-70-stanley-cup_1_3ed8eb255d6142a216dea965110df009.jpg

Adjusting for inflation $7 then would be $46.08 today :laugh:

I was juggling college then and working at the brand new Channel 27 in Worcester for a whopping $3.33 an hour ( $21.92 today) - Gas was 30 cents a gallon ( $ 1.98 today) and my college tuition was $2800 ( $18433.57 today) - SOMEHOW I made it all work including owning a brand new 1969 Mustang that cost me $88 a month over 3 years and I still had beer money.

I have no idea how young people deal with costs today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Hmm, I don't any prices in the renewal email.. I see a link to the renewal page on my bruins account, but didn't find the breakdown there.

You should call your ticket rep then. The email has all pricing info with the Renew link at the end of the email.

In account manager are you seeing playoffs and regular season invoices?

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Weird.. yeah I see both invoices as usual. I'll follow up with my rep I guess. Thanks.

Any chance that your email initially went to junk/spam? Sometimes if an email is treated as junk or spam it blocks images in the email until you designate it as not junk/spam.

sisu

Jun 2, 2008
boston, ma
Any chance that your email initially went to junk/spam? Sometimes if an email is treated as junk or spam it blocks images in the email until you designate it as not junk/spam.

It arrived right in my inbox, and shows the bruins logo in the signature of the rep. There are a few broken image icons between the signature and the disclaimer, but that seems like an odd place to put pricing info.

In any case, they wrote back and confirmed my breakdown.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
It arrived right in my inbox, and shows the bruins logo in the signature of the rep. There are a few broken image icons between the signature and the disclaimer, but that seems like an odd place to put pricing info.

In any case, they wrote back and confirmed my breakdown.

Excellent! Once you got your prices I bet you wish you could go back to not seeing them:laugh:

Reactions: sisu and talkinaway

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
OR, and this is crazy...

Your being silly and that’s ancient history. Even in 2011 I remember struggling to get ST face cost for the Lightning series in the Loge.

Round 2 and Round 3 st holders are punished with higher prices than the secondary market. Go or sell at a loss because you can’t afford to go. Rounds 1 and the finals if we make it back are priced around market value.

Everyone will lose money on the middle rounds if they happen and they’ve been horrible to pay for since forever especially in the Loge. I would bet a ton of fans will turn them down and be regular season only if they renew. It’s what broke me and made me drop seats on the blue line.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Getting the most for our $25 processing fee for the 2nd year in a row.

View media item 7283

Honestly, mailings like this infuriate me. It's a total waste of money and resources. Granted, it's probably not THAT much money - they can't send out more than about 2,000 of those, right? So, 20 cents a pop means it's only $400. But you add in the time that someone had to put in to make and print those silly glossy things, and it's pretty unnecessary. I'm all for minimal technology, and have a lot of sympathy for folks who feel left behind because they're not smart-phone capable....but the Bruins abandoned them this year by eliminating hard tickets. Why not eliminate these silly mailings?

And, of course, they get the names wrong on the envelope. I mean, at least they didn't stuff the mailings with a ton of personal information...literally the only info I have is some other guy's name...and presumably, someone else has my name on their envelope. Oh, well. It did cause me to pop a quick email to my rep, because I wanted to make sure they had my name and address right...and he forwarded me the same correction email that you got.

Your being silly and that’s ancient history. Even in 2011 I remember struggling to get ST face cost for the Lightning series in the Loge.

Round 2 and Round 3 st holders are punished with higher prices than the secondary market. Go or sell at a loss because you can’t afford to go. Rounds 1 and the finals if we make it back are priced around market value.

Everyone will lose money on the middle rounds if they happen and they’ve been horrible to pay for since forever especially in the Loge. I would bet a ton of fans will turn them down and be regular season only if they renew. It’s what broke me and made me drop seats on the blue line.

From the balcony, Round 1 was VERY good last year, but that was 90% Toronto's doing. It wouldn't surprise me if it's cheaper to fly from Toronto and rent a room in Boston and buy a ticket in Boston than it would be to buy a ticket in Toronto. I saved quite a bit, and I'm pretty confident I could have sold for a good price.

I can see the issue with rounds 2 and 3 clearly, and basically agree with you. I "saved" $63 in round 2 for all 3 games, but if I'd sold the tickets, I would imagine that I would be near even or maybe a little negative for round 2, because selling tickets means getting screwed by fees. Round 3, I actually lost a bit of money, so I would have lost a good chunk in resale.

But I've definitely heard complaints about the Loge being ridiculously priced for playoffs. I'll have to remember that if I ever get tempted to move from my perch in the balcony.

Reactions: IntentionallyWide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad