OT: Ticket Thread - 2019/20 (Make sure to read rules on post 1 before posting tix!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Is it legal to sell a ticket for more then face value ? I bought four tickets at a charity event. There is no value printed on the tickets. I’ve seen these tickets list online for over 1000. I just want to sell one and I don’t want to get in trouble or ruffle any feathers. Thanks in advance

The price you sell for doesn't matter. BUT that said whatever the technical face would be is extremely high for those seats and a Yankees game it could be something like 800 dollars I know season tickets up there average around 500 bucks over 81 games. (Each game has a separate price depending on opponent and when in the season so this Yankees one would be the highest.) You're almost certainly going to be getting less than that amount.

There might be a chance that Stubhub won't allow these as they have 'zero' value when you punch the barcodes in. In which case you'd have to sell for cash somewhere like craigslist. You probably want to try and sell them ASAP before the price comes down. See what happens if you list them on Stubhub.

Tickpick.com is the best resale sight because they don't take a 40% overall cut of the sale like stubhub only around 10%. But you would have to mail the ticket and time is running out for that.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Is it legal to sell a ticket for more then face value ? I bought four tickets at a charity event. There is no value printed on the tickets. I’ve seen these tickets list online for over 1000. I just want to sell one and I don’t want to get in trouble or ruffle any feathers. Thanks in advance

According to Massachusetts state law, licensed resellers can't sell for more than $2 per ticket above face value...and often, charity/contest tickets have a face value of $0. However:

Q: Who must obtain a Ticket Resellers license?
A: Anyone who engages in the business of reselling any ticket or tickets of admission or other evidence of right of entry to any theatrical exhibition, public show or public amusement or exhibition must be licensed by the OPSI.

I'm guessing a selling an extra ticket to a single event doesn't constitute a "business". And let's be real...StubHub and Ace have been doing business for ages, and sell for way more than $2 over FV - but I guess the argument there is that they're a marketplace, and the individuals who give them the tickets are the "resellers". Either way, there's been no huge "sting operation", and resellers aren't going away anytime soon, so frankly, nobody pays attention to that law.

However, the other issue is that you have a "freebie" ticket, and there's probably something in the fine print that says it's a "non-transferable" prize. That said, StubHub -IS- the official reseller for the Sox. If the Sox had a problem with resales for your particular charity ticket, they'd probably mark the bar code online, and then when you go to try to type it in on StubHub, you'd probably get an "oh, sorry, that ticket is not eligible for resale" error message. If you don't get that message, you'd have a good argument that you're acting in good faith - after all, StubHub -IS- the official reseller for the Sox. I'm pretty sure they tell STHs that they're allowed to resell on StubHub, just like the Bruins tell their STHs that they can resell on TicketMaster.

MAINE-IAC

Feb 12, 2003
southern maine
Ok Thanks for the info. What’s the chances of selling it at the game if I strike out at stub hub

I was able to list it on stubhub. I put the bar code in . Afterwards I viewed the listing . It said’ instant delivery ‘ on the ticket. What does that mean? Will they be able to print the ticket or whatever? I have hard tickets. Just wondering if I will have to mail the ticket still.

Last edited:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Ok Thanks for the info. What’s the chances of selling it at the game if I strike out at stub hub

I was able to list it on stubhub. I put the bar code in . Afterwards I viewed the listing . It said’ instant delivery ‘ on the ticket. What does that mean? Will they be able to print the ticket or whatever? I have hard tickets. Just wondering if I will have to mail the ticket still.

No, you won't have to mail the ticket - it will appear as a bar code on their phone when they buy it, usable either via the StubHub app itself or via MLB's Ballpark app. If/When your ticket sells, it will simultaneously deactivate the bar code of YOUR ticket - whichever one you listed, so be sure NOT to use the seat with the bar code you entered. (Also, if you have seats 4, 5, 6, 7, and you're only selling one seat because you're going with 2 other people, you might want to sell either seat 4 or 7...don't sell 5 or 6. Just sayin'.)

If you don't sell your ticket and decide you want to use it yourself or sell it elsewhere, you'll have to delete the listing - I think when you input your ticket for sale, your barcode is "in limbo" - if the gate were open now, they'd know your ticket is "for sale", and wouldn't let you in. But you can always delete the listing, unless it's already been sold.

The advantage of StubHub being the official resale site of the Red Sox is that they can do everything - including deactivation of your barcode, and creating a NEW barcode for whoever buys your ticket. When that happens, the buyer's happiness is no longer your responsibility at all - if the buyer can't figure it out, they complain to the Sox, not StubHub.

The Bruins don't have this relationship with SH - if you sell a Bruins ticket on StubHub, it's still under your name. The buyer can complain the SH that the seat wasn't as advertised, or that they couldn't get in...and then SH slaps the seller with a penalty. Or, if the buyer gets drunk and obnoxious and moons the Jumbotron - also on you. Not common, but it can theoretically happen with Bruins when you use StubHub (and not their official Ticketmaster resale) - and it can't happen with the Sox on StubHub.

I have no idea about selling tickets at Fenway. I notice scalpers outside of the Garden, but have never heard them around Fenway - but I don't go as frequently.

MAINE-IAC

Feb 12, 2003
southern maine
No, you won't have to mail the ticket - it will appear as a bar code on their phone when they buy it, usable either via the StubHub app itself or via MLB's Ballpark app. If/When your ticket sells, it will simultaneously deactivate the bar code of YOUR ticket - whichever one you listed, so be sure NOT to use the seat with the bar code you entered. (Also, if you have seats 4, 5, 6, 7, and you're only selling one seat because you're going with 2 other people, you might want to sell either seat 4 or 7...don't sell 5 or 6. Just sayin'.)

If you don't sell your ticket and decide you want to use it yourself or sell it elsewhere, you'll have to delete the listing - I think when you input your ticket for sale, your barcode is "in limbo" - if the gate were open now, they'd know your ticket is "for sale", and wouldn't let you in. But you can always delete the listing, unless it's already been sold.

The advantage of StubHub being the official resale site of the Red Sox is that they can do everything - including deactivation of your barcode, and creating a NEW barcode for whoever buys your ticket. When that happens, the buyer's happiness is no longer your responsibility at all - if the buyer can't figure it out, they complain to the Sox, not StubHub.

The Bruins don't have this relationship with SH - if you sell a Bruins ticket on StubHub, it's still under your name. The buyer can complain the SH that the seat wasn't as advertised, or that they couldn't get in...and then SH slaps the seller with a penalty. Or, if the buyer gets drunk and obnoxious and moons the Jumbotron - also on you. Not common, but it can theoretically happen with Bruins when you use StubHub (and not their official Ticketmaster resale) - and it can't happen with the Sox on StubHub.

I have no idea about selling tickets at Fenway. I notice scalpers outside of the Garden, but have never heard them around Fenway - but I don't go as frequently.
Ok thanks. I will make sure that I delete the add if I decided to keep the ticket that’s for sale . I probably wouldn’t have thought of that.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Quick question.

Looking to come up to Boston for their home opener as my brother (also a Devils fan) is moving up into the area for college. I know the tickets will be on the pricey end due being the home opener and a Saturday, but what would be my best avenue to buy tickets without completely breaking the bank?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Quick question.

Looking to come up to Boston for their home opener as my brother (also a Devils fan) is moving up into the area for college. I know the tickets will be on the pricey end due being the home opener and a Saturday, but what would be my best avenue to buy tickets without completely breaking the bank?

Yup, it'll be a pricier one, being the home opener, a (probably) banner-editing game, and a weekend game. Plus, it's our first look at Subban in red and white. (Well...technically second look in rouge et blanc, but first look without the bleu.)

My big three resale sites are TicketsNow (which lists the same resale tickets as TicketMaster plus maybe a few others - TM itself is fine too), StubHub, and Ace Tickets. You might try SeatGeek if you have a code, but definitely be sure to compare post-fee prices on all sites.

The good news is, last year, tickets were as cheap as $64 for the home opener. The bad news is that it was a single ticket in the 15th row of the balcony, on a matinee Monday for Columbus day, you had to buy it the day before the game, and it was against Ottawa...so basically, the opposite of this year's opener.

For most of the games in October-December, the rock bottom price comes either the day before the game or the day of the game, but even the week before the game can be okay, too. My gut tells me that the get-in price will be way less than the $140 that it currently is....but it may not drop until October. For the regular season, tickets are always available - but if weird stuff happens (ie something insane like a Subban/Chara trade), the price could shoot up. You might do well to buy the tickets Friday morning/afternoon and come to Boston that evening.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Anyone got any info on the love your melon beanies? Lady wants one bad, but I’m a cheap skate and can’t fathom spending 200+ for a pair of corner balcony on a Tuesday against LA.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
My big three resale sites are TicketsNow (which lists the same resale tickets as TicketMaster plus maybe a few others - TM itself is fine too), StubHub, and Ace Tickets. You might try SeatGeek if you have a code, but definitely be sure to compare post-fee prices on all sites.

Please don't use any of those sites without checking www.tickpick.com first.

Of course its legit any website selling tens of thousands of tickets per day isn't going to be in business long if they are committing fraud regularly.

Its a shame so few people know to use it. There are no buyer fees and they only take 10% of the cut for sellers. If you use stubhub the buyer fee is 15% and seller fee is 25% and basically the guy selling you the tickets gets 60 cents on the dollar. Tickpick you get 90.

Reactions: talkinaway

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Anyone got any info on the love your melon beanies? Lady wants one bad, but I’m a cheap skate and can’t fathom spending 200+ for a pair of corner balcony on a Tuesday against LA.

You might try eBay a few days after the game if you want the LYM beanie with the spoked B on it. They probably won't sell them (or similar ones) online for awhile, as it's a "exclusive promotional" item meant to get people to buy the tickets as part of the package. The Sox giveaways are almost always on eBay the next day (or even in advance!), and I imagine the Bruins ones get on eBay, too...although the "special promotional package" ones may be more limited in scope than the "free to the first 5000 fans" promos.

Package itself seems a little pricey - right now LAK tickets are slightly over $64 on StubHub including fees. Add in a $30 beanie, and you're at $94. The ticket price will likely go down...although it IS right before the holiday break.

You could also just get a beanie from their website at

Home

- but it won't be Bruins.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
You might try eBay a few days after the game if you want the LYM beanie with the spoked B on it. They probably won't sell them (or similar ones) online for awhile, as it's a "exclusive promotional" item meant to get people to buy the tickets as part of the package. The Sox giveaways are almost always on eBay the next day (or even in advance!), and I imagine the Bruins ones get on eBay, too...although the "special promotional package" ones may be more limited in scope than the "free to the first 5000 fans" promos.

Package itself seems a little pricey - right now LAK tickets are slightly over $64 on StubHub including fees. Add in a $30 beanie, and you're at $94. The ticket price will likely go down...although it IS right before the holiday break.

You could also just get a beanie from their website at

Home

- but it won't be Bruins.

Yeah i got her a blue one a couple years ago. She’s dead set on getting the Bruins beanie but like you said the price doesn’t add up. I was thinking the eBay route as well and that seems like my best shot at the moment.

Unless some connections i have in the building come up with anything else. I just haven’t been there in a while.

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
Just received my season passes.

The packaging is really nice, albeit totally unnesecary for what's inside. The lanyards are pretty dorky. The cards are fine, but what will be annoying is that given I go to the games with a variety of people, I'll have to carry both cards, or constantly deal with both the card and the app to get a friend in if my wife holds onto the other card at all times.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I haven't gotten mine yet but it says today so we sill see.

Update...got my "Ticket". It is cheap looking. You would think they could at least made it a durable as a credit card. sigh...Oh well it is what it is.

My "new" seats better be nice. I am not holding my breath

Last edited:
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
Can't believe Bruins season starts in less than a month. Got some tickets for sale. Seats are now section 313 row 7. My buddy also has 2 seats right next to mine so you can buy 2 or 4 in a row.

Let me know if you're interested in any of these games. $66 per ticket (face value) so $132 for 2 tickets and $264 for 4.

Tues, Nov 12 vs Florida (only 2 available)
Thurs, Nov 21 vs Buffalo
Tues, Dec 3 vs Carolina
Tues, Dec 17 vs LA

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is pathetic

70678774_897527040628829_2569633350708887552_n.jpg

69987735_513245332584186_3434486678603956224_n.jpg

70645401_924124227965982_5051979887787638784_n.jpg

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The free legends pass is kinda cool

I vaguely remember that they had free appetizers set out at Legends one game for first year STHs my first year. I think it was Legends - they might have split it up into smaller groups. The cover charge seems a little nuts when it’s basically just a restaurant. I mean, if you actively want to look like you’re throwing around money...I guess it fits the bill. If you want food, there are better options.

The box is ludicrous unless you ordered 100 seats - it’s weird that when we paid extra for hard tickets, they basically came in an envelope, I think. New pass? Giant box that would be ridiculously expensive to ship if you’re not retail.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I have two tickets to the Monday, September 23rd preseason game vs Philly. 3rd row behind Bruins net - great seats. $220 for pair. LMK.

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
2 tickets vs Anaheim Mon 10/14 - $66 per ticket
2 or 4 tickets vs Tampa Thurs 10/17 - $66 per ticket

section 313 row 7 (side Bruins shoot twice). these are my STH face value prices

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Please don't use any of those sites without checking www.tickpick.com first.

Of course its legit any website selling tens of thousands of tickets per day isn't going to be in business long if they are committing fraud regularly.

Its a shame so few people know to use it. There are no buyer fees and they only take 10% of the cut for sellers. If you use stubhub the buyer fee is 15% and seller fee is 25% and basically the guy selling you the tickets gets 60 cents on the dollar. Tickpick you get 90.

It's actually taken me awhile to check tickpick out - I just thought of it randomly tonight, since the season is about to start. I have to say - it's one to consider. Granted, I can't give any feedback in the "what if a ticket goes wrong" category, but I imagine they have similar policies to StubHub and Ace (they'll get you in at your original price in the same type or better seat if they can, or at "worst" they'll refund your money if they don't have a reasonably similar-priced, similarly-located ticket in their inventory.) The fact that tickpick gives you the "all-in" price - which is what StubHub does - is a plus in my book.

For the games in October, I checked all the prices today. The get-in price was actually similar to Ace Ticket when you include Ace's 25% fee - literally within "rounding to the nearest dollar" in most instances, with Ace being a maybe 25 cents cheaper. In fact, some of the tickets were exactly the same section/row and same quantity of seats, making me wonder if Ace is listing them on Tickpick, or vice versa - or a common source exists for both.

In all honestly, in a tie situation like this, I'd favor Ace a little bit - they do have a physical location right next to the Garden, and you do get 5% back if you buy another ticket within a year. But it's definitely one to check. I will say they had the lowest get-in price to opening night - $118 vs $127.50 at Ace.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
StubHub's 2019 Top 10 In-Demand NHL Teams*
  • Vegas Golden Knights
  • New York Rangers
  • Boston Bruins
  • Chicago Blackhawks
  • Toronto Maple Leafs
  • Montreal Canadiens
  • St. Louis Blues
  • Nashville Predators
  • Vegas Golden Knights Reign: Vegas Golden Knights take the #1 in-demand team for the third year in a row, based on ticket sales on StubHub. They outsell the #2 Rangers by 28%.
  • Newcomers: St. Louis Blues and Nashville Predators enter StubHub’s Top 10 in-demand teams list for the first time ever in 2019.
  • The Great North Stay Strong: Two Canadian teams make the Top 10 list for the sixth year in a row.
  • Staying Power: Five teams have been on StubHub’s Top 10 in-demand list for six straight years: Blackhawks, Bruins, Rangers, Canadiens and Maple Leafs.
  • Pittsburgh Penguins
  • Buffalo Sabres
*Ranking based on StubHub ticket sales as of 9/18/2019 for the 2019 NHL season

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
2 for sale for the Columbus Day Anaheim game. Loge 9 Row 26 $110 face value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad