OT: Ticket Thread - 2019/20 (Make sure to read rules on post 1 before posting tix!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

krog18

Oct 18, 2019
I don't think there's any dispute of the negative repercussions of not making the payments on schedule, but I can't imagine them doing anything about it at this point in time. The Bruins strategy throughout all this has just seemed to not acknowledge the enormous uncertainly and hope for as few complaints or bad press as possible. It doesn't even look like they mention COVID FAQs relating to tickets on the Bruins website. Every other local professional team has addressed these issues to some extent and actually done something for their STH base (other than rightfully making them whole):

Patriots: Option to defer season tickets for 1 year without penalty. Free parking at Gillette Stadium this season.

Red Sox: 10% credit for impacted games in lieu of refund (certain limitations apply).

Celtics: 10% credit for impacted games in lieu of refund.

Revolution: 10% credit for impacted games in lieu of refund (certain limitations apply) AND one category seating upgrade for next season.

Bruins: ????​

Of course there is some degree of calculation involved in these things, and as long as they remain one of the top teams in the league many will likely continue to suck up the annual price increases and lack of perks (or general common decency shown by other teams). It will surely catch up with the organization during harder times, but that is tomorrow's problem.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Basically, the business model for the Bruins has been: What's the minimum we can do while still (nominally) selling out the arena.

What happens has to do with how long their STH backlog is, and how many on that waitlist they think will actually accept the "coveted" (COVID-ed?) season tickets. It also has to do with how quickly people get back in the Garden. As I've mentioned before, someone from the Boch Center (Wang and Shubert in the theater district) gave an interview a month or so ago saying they wouldn't be surprised if they were closed until April 2021. Those smaller venues hold 4 digits; the Garden holds 5.

To me, that means there's very little chance of a 2020-21 season with fans involved, so they'll have to offer us at bare minimum our money back. They could (and should) also offer a similar deal to the other teams - skip 2020-21, keep your money on account for 2021-22, and you get 10% extra. But given the position of the Bruins, they do have the upper hand. Even if the Sox are more popular, my impression is they don't sell out regularly. And you obviously can't compare whatever the Revs are doing. And as much as I'd love the Patriots free parking, that's a fantasy.

I do think they recognize that these circumstances are extraordinary, and if you talk with them, they may allow deferments. They'd rather have you stick around and eventually give them money when there's an actual plan for 2020-21 (or 2021-22) than leave permanently.

krog18

Oct 18, 2019
I think you are giving them a bit more benefit of the doubt than they deserve. Other teams in the NHL have season ticket waitlists and are still offering payment deferments or credits for everyone. And while I acknowledge the comparison above is not an exact science, the 10% credits are for 2019-20 and being applied to next season - meaning people already have the credits.

I will definitely be contacting my rep before the next payment is due to ask for a deferment and to try to understand what their plan is for the interest-free loans they’ve received at our expense.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I don't think there's any dispute of the negative repercussions of not making the payments on schedule, but I can't imagine them doing anything about it at this point in time. The Bruins strategy throughout all this has just seemed to not acknowledge the enormous uncertainly and hope for as few complaints or bad press as possible. It doesn't even look like they mention COVID FAQs relating to tickets on the Bruins website. Every other local professional team has addressed these issues to some extent and actually done something for their STH base (other than rightfully making them whole):

Patriots: Option to defer season tickets for 1 year without penalty. Free parking at Gillette Stadium this season.

Red Sox: 10% credit for impacted games in lieu of refund (certain limitations apply).

Celtics: 10% credit for impacted games in lieu of refund.

Revolution: 10% credit for impacted games in lieu of refund (certain limitations apply) AND one category seating upgrade for next season.

Bruins: ????​

Of course there is some degree of calculation involved in these things, and as long as they remain one of the top teams in the league many will likely continue to suck up the annual price increases and lack of perks (or general common decency shown by other teams). It will surely catch up with the organization during harder times, but that is tomorrow's problem.

Are any of the Bruins reps even working with most DN employees in Boston on furlough????

The one thing that has been constant since Jacobs has owned the team is actually issuing refunds. The only time they really blinked is when Game 4 of the SCF in 1988 when the game was canceled because of a power failure and the AG at the time was a STH and Game 4 was then played in Edmonton.

The real nightmare will be when fans are allowed back. Fans that have seats close to the ice will need to be relocated at first and that will cause a butterfly effect throughout the venue.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Basically, the business model for the Bruins has been: What's the minimum we can do while still (nominally) selling out the arena.

What happens has to do with how long their STH backlog is, and how many on that waitlist they think will actually accept the "coveted" (COVID-ed?) season tickets. It also has to do with how quickly people get back in the Garden. As I've mentioned before, someone from the Boch Center (Wang and Shubert in the theater district) gave an interview a month or so ago saying they wouldn't be surprised if they were closed until April 2021. Those smaller venues hold 4 digits; the Garden holds 5.

To me, that means there's very little chance of a 2020-21 season with fans involved, so they'll have to offer us at bare minimum our money back. They could (and should) also offer a similar deal to the other teams - skip 2020-21, keep your money on account for 2021-22, and you get 10% extra. But given the position of the Bruins, they do have the upper hand. Even if the Sox are more popular, my impression is they don't sell out regularly. And you obviously can't compare whatever the Revs are doing. And as much as I'd love the Patriots free parking, that's a fantasy.

I do think they recognize that these circumstances are extraordinary, and if you talk with them, they may allow deferments. They'd rather have you stick around and eventually give them money when there's an actual plan for 2020-21 (or 2021-22) than leave permanently.

@talkinaway - Red Sox sell out regularly in June, July, and August because of the museum factor.

Boston Red Sox Attendance, Stadiums, and Park Factors | Baseball-Reference.com

Boston attendance in ALL sports has been solid since the mid-'80s and the only 2 teams that cratered were the late 80's - early 90's Patriots and the Bruins after the lost season of 2004-05.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
The real nightmare will be when fans are allowed back. Fans that have seats close to the ice will need to be relocated at first and that will cause a butterfly effect throughout the venue.

Basketball, no doubt, but front row for hockey has the glass to protect the players. There shouldn't be the same need to eliminate the first few rows like the other sports with no glass.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Are any of the Bruins reps even working with most DN employees in Boston on furlough????

The one thing that has been constant since Jacobs has owned the team is actually issuing refunds. The only time they really blinked is when Game 4 of the SCF in 1988 when the game was canceled because of a power failure and the AG at the time was a STH and Game 4 was then played in Edmonton.

I won't like that.

I guess I won't be high fiving the guys anymore.

redline76

Nov 14, 2008
Thanks for the discussion. I think I will call my rep when I get a chance. Again, it's hard to tell your wife that your donating money to the Bruins for games that might not happen for another year if we are lucky. The idea of people being moved back from the glass will be interesting to see. Perhaps they could relocate some of those people to the clubs?

Reactions: sarge88

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Thanks for the discussion. I think I will call my rep when I get a chance. Again, it's hard to tell your wife that your donating money to the Bruins for games that might not happen for another year if we are lucky. The idea of people being moved back from the glass will be interesting to see. Perhaps they could relocate some of those people to the clubs?
No thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad