News Article: "ticket sales have skyrocketed since the team traded for Phil Kessel"

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
By ignoring the other stats of STH renewal rates and how much more popular the weekender has been this offseason.
Last 10 years in Glendale. Ranking of the Yotes out of all the NHL teams.
2018-29 of 31
2017-30 of 30
2016 29 of30
2015 29 of 30
2014 28 of 30
2013 30 of 30
2012 29 of 30
2011 30 of 30
2010 29 of 30
2009 30 of 30

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I think GRA is one of the smallest arenas in the league, so even if we sell out every game we will still probably be in the bottom ten.
I wish the rink was smaller. it's brutal to watch a game on tv and see the 3-4 thousand empty seats.
Add in we have among the lowest price ticket and near the bottom in attendance and you can see why Bettman says we need to get out of Glendale.
Thank god our new owner is a BILLIONARE.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Last 10 years in Glendale. Ranking of the Yotes out of all the NHL teams.
2018-29 of 31
2017-30 of 30
2016 29 of30
2015 29 of 30
2014 28 of 30
2013 30 of 30
2012 29 of 30
2011 30 of 30
2010 29 of 30
2009 30 of 30
Whats interesting about this is that we finally seem to have momentum going our way for a change. Also it's at a level that has never been seen in this market. And the market is desperate for a winner and this is the only team in the market looking up. And we added a perennial all star. So yeah, probably 50

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Not sure if it’s me or not but there seems to be a different buzz around this team. I don’t know if they’re being talked about more or what but just a different feel. Probably just me, though. Haha

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I wish the rink was smaller. it's brutal to watch a game on tv and see the 3-4 thousand empty seats.
Add in we have among the lowest price ticket and near the bottom in attendance and you can see why Bettman says we need to get out of Glendale.
Thank god our new owner is a BILLIONARE.

You watch the seats rather than the game??

BTW check the attendances for downtown prior to the move to Glendale. You’ll notice they weren’t much better in the latter years.

Plus the initial attendances at GRA were running in the middle of the league. Oh wait.... never mind that..... I already pointed all that out to you before. But certainly cherry pick data all you want. :rolleyes:

In spite of all difficulties, whining and other crap slung everywhere about the arena being in Glendale the attendance went up nearly a 1000 per game last year. Corporate sales were up. Merch sales up..... TV viewership up (must be people are flocking to their flat screens watch those empty seats, eh??).... all of that even with the team missing the playoffs for the seventh straight year.

And Bettman started hating Glendale the day they pulled that $9 million subsidy away from the team. Imagine what he would say if the city gave it back to team. He’d be raving about a city being such a good partner. Like he used to.

We get it... you want Meruelo to plop a shiny new arena in your backyard. Then if the team sucks and can’t fill the arena you’ll have a second option to watch all those empty seats.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Yeah it has nothing to do with how pathetic the team has been in Glendale. Everybody loves to watch bad, losing hockey especially when you never know if the team is going to be here the following season. I mean we've only been bad at scoring goas and winning. Not like people come to see either of those.
Even after going to the conference championship attendance was awful. I remember going to the arena and getting dirt cheap tickets in the lower bowl.
It's the summer time here. With the fickle nature of sports here in general do you really think fans are buying hockey tickets. Listen to 98.7 all they talk is Suns/DBACKs , maybe some Cardinals. virtually zero Coyotes. There is not a surge of tickets being bought based on Kessel. That's laughable in this market.

Last edited by a moderator:

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
You watch the seats rather than the game??

BTW check the attendances for downtown prior to the move to Glendale. You’ll notice they weren’t much better in the latter years.

Plus the initial attendances at GRA were running in the middle of the league. Oh wait.... never mind that..... I already pointed all that out to you before. But certainly cherry pick data all you want. :rolleyes:

In spite of all difficulties, whining and other crap slung everywhere about the arena being in Glendale the attendance went up nearly a 1000 per game last year. Corporate sales were up. Merch sales up..... TV viewership up (must be people are flocking to their flat screens watch those empty seats, eh??).... all of that even with the team missing the playoffs for the seventh straight year.

And Bettman started hating Glendale the day they pulled that $9 million subsidy away from the team. Imagine what he would say if the city gave it back to team. He’d be raving about a city being such a good partner. Like he used to.

We get it... you want Meruelo to plop a shiny new arena in your backyard. Then if the team sucks and can’t fill the arena you’ll have a second option to watch all those empty seats.
I've posted the last TEN YEARS of attendance and you call that cherry picking. :laugh:
Bottom 2 every year expect once JUST bottom three. :laugh:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I've posted the last TEN YEARS of attendance and you call that cherry picking. :laugh:
Bottom 2 every year expect once JUST bottom three. :laugh:

Coyotes have been at GRA for 16 years. Those last ten under the dark cloud of relocating out of Arizona the next year.

So yes... you are cherry picking data and in addition to that, using it completely out of context.

It isn’t all about arena location as you’re trying so desperately trying to make it. Frankly I don’t care where the arena is. It could be out in Apache Junction. There’s a lot more to the franchise being successful than where they play at.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Not sure if it’s me or not but there seems to be a different buzz around this team. I don’t know if they’re being talked about more or what but just a different feel. Probably just me, though. Haha
This is finally the year I can see the Coyotes competing for a playoff spot. I've predicted them pretty well close to the bottom every season lately and I haven't been wrong.
I think Kessel is a terrific addition esp. considering it makes up a bit at least of giving up Domi for AG who is so overrated.
Good Goaltending, solid D and more scoring. I'm excited to watch this team this year.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Helps that the Suns are trash, the D'Backs won't be good for years, and the Cardinals are betting everything on a rookie.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
107320-full.jpg

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
This is finally the year I can see the Coyotes competing for a playoff spot. I've predicted them pretty well close to the bottom every season lately and I haven't been wrong.
I think Kessel is a terrific addition esp. considering it makes up a bit at least of giving up Domi for AG who is so overrated.
Good Goaltending, solid D and more scoring. I'm excited to watch this team this year.
Yeah, I figure you'll have a hard time not keeping an eye out for empty seats though.

Reactions: RemoAZ and Jakey53

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Never going to happen buuuuutt it's summer and hypotheticals are fun.

Imagine if the Sun's built a new arena downtown or in the east, the Coyotes played 20 games there and the rest in Glendale. The east vs west debate would be settled forever. Sarver could probably handle sharing the arena for 20 nights. No one would be able to complain that the games are too far away. I'd like to think it would be oa versionf what the Isles do, except it would work hahah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad