Ticket Prices from the 40's-70's

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I've heard it said many times that before the WHA was formed to compete with the nhl the players were grossly underpayed, even a superstar like Gordie Howe only earning about 20,000 dollars a year in the late 50's.

However, on the flipside, team revenue was also much lower then it is today. Without any significant tv deals or merchandise sales, the league was even more dependent on gate revenue that today.

For the old-timers out there, how much did the average ticket cost in decades past? I haven't been able to find this data on the internet.

With that knowledge, its pretty easy to estimate a team's gate revenue.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I've heard it said many times that before the WHA was formed to compete with the nhl the players were grossly underpayed, even a superstar like Gordie Howe only earning about 20,000 dollars a year in the late 50's.

However, on the flipside, team revenue was also much lower then it is today. Without any significant tv deals or merchandise sales, the league was even more dependent on gate revenue that today.

For the old-timers out there, how much did the average ticket cost in decades past? I haven't been able to find this data on the internet.

With that knowledge, its pretty easy to estimate a team's gate revenue.
Interesting question. I went to my first game at MLG in the 50's. I was only a kid so didn;t know what we paid but think it was only in the $5 to $10 range for blue seats

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Same Pappy.

Prices never hopped that much even into the 70's. Seemed like around $8-$12 is what I remember most since by that point I was paying for my own all the time

But heck, its been awhile.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Sorry I couldnt give you an exact price on them in the '50s at least. My dad took me to the games back then so naturally I didnt pay for them. I can remember in the '60s getting reall good seats for $15 but it's vague.

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
I know that in the old Boston Garden, circa 1972, you could get an upper deck ticket for 5 bucks.

Some of the balcony tickets in that era were 3 dollars. Not a great ticket, but a small price to witness Orr.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It is a little later than your time line but I paid between $9-16 dollars for my season tickets in Edmonton from 1978-1988. Very good seats near the bottom of the upper bowl. At that time there was no discount for season tickets over walk-up prices.

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
Opening night at Maple Leaf Gardens the best seats in the house went for $1.80. Programs were another 15 cents. Close to 10% of the average working man's weekly salary. That's if he had a job, economic times being a fair bit tougher then than now.

Pretty sure my income hasn't kept pace with ticket prices, particulary in the past 20 years.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Opening night at Maple Leaf Gardens the best seats in the house went for $1.80. Programs were another 15 cents. Close to 10% of the average working man's weekly salary. That's if he had a job, economic times being a fair bit tougher then than now.

Pretty sure my income hasn't kept pace with ticket prices, particulary in the past 20 years.

When was this?

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

Well; if we just use that number of $1.80 for arguments sake as the average ticket price (even though it represents the top end seats):

$1.80*16,307 seats*48 games= $1,408,925 yearly revenue.

I think this is probably very high; as some seats would have cost substantially less.

Obviously the league couldn't have afforded six-figure salaries at that time; but perhaps five digits would have been a reasonable number.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well; if we just use that number of $1.80 for arguments sake as the average ticket price (even though it represents the top end seats):

I think this is probably very high; as some seats would have cost substantially less.

Obviously the league couldn't have afforded six-figure salaries at that time; but perhaps five digits would have been a reasonable number.

Well keep in mind, the $1.4 million inflated number would be cut in half to $700,000 since they only played 24 games at home.

Also, considering the whole franchise cost $160,000 in 1927, 5 digit salaries would have been pretty high for a 20 man roster. If every man made $10,000, the payroll would be higher than the value of the franchise...

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Well keep in mind, the $1.4 million inflated number would be cut in half to $700,000 since they only played 24 games at home.

Also, considering the whole franchise cost $160,000 in 1927, 5 digit salaries would have been pretty high for a 20 man roster. If every man made $10,000, the payroll would be higher than the value of the franchise...

Good point about the home games... :help: a pretty elementary mistake.

Murphy7

Drop the puck
Jan 25, 2008
Mid-70s at the Spectrum in Philly was $8 for lower level seats.
By 1990, it was $12 for second level.

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004

It was the rinkside blue seats that went for $1.80. Figure no more than half of the 13,500 seats went for that rate.

No doubt the teams could have afforded to pay higher salaries but that would have diminished profits and, for the owners, hockey was a business. You could make the argument that NHL owners were actually fairly enlightened employers, as least from the salary point of view

In that era a high level professional hockey player made easily twice what the average lunch-bucket carrying workingman earned and probably looked forward to going to work a whole lot more than most of the guys they grew up with did.

There was a time when hockey was a way out of poverty. Now it seems only the rich kids can afford to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad