Tickets: Ticket Prices 2013-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“The New York Knickerbockers and New York Rangers today released season ticket information for the 2013-14 seasons. Knicks season ticket prices will increase an average of 6.4%, and Rangers will increase an average of 4%. Season ticket holders will be contacted directly by their service representative with specific information on their account in the coming weeks. Knicks season tickets were sold out for the third consecutive year and Rangers for the sixth consecutive year for the 2012-13 seasons.

Knicks and Rangers season tickets will be offered at 26 different price points for each team. A number of flexible payment plan options are available for all season ticket holders. Exclusive benefits include:
- Savings vs. individual game tickets;
- Access to special events with current players and alumni, such as meet and greets, forums, and interactive fan fests;
- First option to buy playoff tickets and for seat upgrades;
- Online ticketing services with ability to make real-time payments, track ticket usage, email tickets to friends or clients and buy or sell tickets;
- Special rewards for paying with a Chase card;
- And a dedicated service representative to provide assistance for all account needs.

When the Knicks and Rangers return for the 2013-14 seasons Madison Square Garden will unveil the third and final phase of the Arena’s comprehensive, top-to-bottom Transformation. The two spectacular new Chase Bridges and new expanded Chase Square entrance off 7th Avenue will debut, as well as the new Budweiser Fan Deck (10th floor), new state-of-the-art GardenVision center-hung scoreboard, 18 completely remodeled suites on the 9th floor, and the iconic Garden ceiling will be restored. The historic, three-year nearly $1 billion Transformation of Madison Square Garden has provided fans with an upgraded experience and enhanced amenities from the first row to the last. From the expanded concourses and first-class food and beverage options, to the larger, more comfortable seats and enhanced sightlines, to the special exhibits celebrating The Garden’s unrivaled history, the new state-of-the-art Arena reinforces the building’s position as The World’s Most Famous Arena.

Fans interested in new season ticket plans for the Knicks and Rangers 2013-14 seasons should call 212-465-6073 or visit NYKnicks.com or NYRangers.com for more information. Knicks and Rangers individual tickets, partial plans and tickets on the Chase Bridges will go on sale in the fall.â€

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Still hoping to upgrade... It's just a shame that I go through Rangers account managers faster than Law & Order went through prosecutors.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Gotta help pay for those AMAZING bridges that everyone will love to have in front of their vision.

Oh and that BEAUTIFUL new GardenVision that no one above row 12 will be able to see because of those stupid bridges!

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
I am not surprised. The Rangers have been a very hot ticket for a long time and MSG knows they will sell out again next year.

Ryan McDonut

Jan 18, 2009
New York
yeah how much will these bridges actually affect sight lines because i usually can only afford to sit high up and id like to be able to see.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Yet another step to further price out the real fans. Rangers Hockey @ MSG: For the rich only.

I despise this talking point.

I do very well and I've been watching this team since I was four years old. A hot ticket, a good product, and high player salaries justify an increase. You don't have to be blue collar or an out-of-control yeller during games to be a real fan.

It's not like they are raising prices when the team is awful.

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY

I do very well and I've been watching this team since I was four years old. A hot ticket, a good product, and high player salaries justify an increase. You don't have to be blue collar or an out-of-control yeller during games to be a real fan.

They already did that. See 2007-2010.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

You're in the minority. This is a huge problem, especially at Yankee Stadium.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
More power to the people willing to spend that kind of money to watch a hockey game. Also, more power to the Rangers organization for identifying and capitalizing on that opportunity. More power to me for opting out several years ago when things started getting crazy.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
yeah how much will these bridges actually affect sight lines because i usually can only afford to sit high up and id like to be able to see.

You will be able to see the ice. That isn't the issue. The view of the rest of the arena will be compromised. Your view of the scoreboard will be blocked. Your view of the ceiling will be blocked, as will the view of any banners hung in the rafters (especially those across ice.)

The old Montreal Forum had a similar "obstruction". In the upper blue seats for standing room (which was at the top of the bowl), you could not see the scoreboard, because the views were obstructed by truss work and press / media boxes hung above the seating area. CRTs were placed up there so fans could keep track of penalties and such. Shot counters were located end ice down low, so you could see that pretty clearly from the top of the bowl. But again, that being an old barn, you dealt with it. They added more and more seats to the place over the years, so you'd expect some give-backs. Here at MSG, they've managed to take away seats and add obstructions.... nuts.

If your goal is to watch the action on the ice, then no worry. If you want to watch the scoreboard or have a "great view" of the bowl / garden ceiling, then this "bridge" is going to be in your way.

Cheers!
-Doug

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
You're in the minority. This is a huge problem, especially at Yankee Stadium.

If the fans fail to show up at Yankee stadium due to the hefty price of admission then management needs to reflect on their pricing. Sports is a business. Profitability drives all sports. We want to see the best team on the ice no matter the cost (until st renewal). I assume that's what we learned in the lockout?
The owners budged slowly as did the players. I fully understood that half of any revenue increases throughout the league goes to the players. Thank you MSG & the Players.

I've been a season tix holder for over 20 yrs. Early on I would attend most games at a $19 cost per game. This year I will attend between 6 &10. I control my costs by controlling the number of games I attend. If the cost continues to levitate I may give up my tix entirely. That's all I can do. It's not the obligation of the Rangers organization to keep my seats affordable. It's not my obligation to renew. I have "x" amount of discretionary income and will spend it the best I can. My budget will dictate where I sit and how many games I will attend. It's not MSG's fault if others will/can spend more than I do. It's frustrating for me to have my options limited but I need to do what I need to do.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY

They have raised ticket prices in bad years many times. The problem is that many of the people who are buying tickets (and this includes the "cheap seats") are not the die hards who will go to every game. Sure, many of those people are still season ticket holders (for now), but they go to less and less games per year essentially saving their tickets for playoff rights. They sell the tickets to people who are visiting NY and just want to go to MSG, out of town fans, corporate buyers who want to take a client to a game, and the like. You're lucky if the guy who's buying your seats is a die hard who goes to a couple games per year. Then who knows who he's even bringing. Could bring 3 or 4 people who aren't even into hockey but just want to go.

This is what happens as prices rise even for people who do pretty well for themselves, but don't want to spend 3K+ on hockey tickets (plus transportation, food, beer, etc) where they can get a great experience these days from the comfort of their homes.

However, if the Garden cares more about profits than the experience of going to the game and catering to their fan base, then they'll keep raising prices until the market pushes back (which hasn't happened yet). Of course the Garden is operating like any business would and I don't blame them for it and with NYC being what it is, the odds of the market saying no to NYR hockey at this point is very slim so they'll keep going up and people will keep buying.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
After these ticket price increases for both teams, what's the ticket price in the upper 200s for each team? Even before these increases, who has higher ticket prices in the same seat?

I don't want to hear that the Knicks have a higher average ticket price, since they have court-side seats. In actual equivalent seats, which team is more expensive?

Ryan McDonut

Jan 18, 2009
New York
You will be able to see the ice. That isn't the issue. The view of the rest of the arena will be compromised. Your view of the scoreboard will be blocked. Your view of the ceiling will be blocked, as will the view of any banners hung in the rafters (especially those across ice.)

The old Montreal Forum had a similar "obstruction". In the upper blue seats for standing room (which was at the top of the bowl), you could not see the scoreboard, because the views were obstructed by truss work and press / media boxes hung above the seating area. CRTs were placed up there so fans could keep track of penalties and such. Shot counters were located end ice down low, so you could see that pretty clearly from the top of the bowl. But again, that being an old barn, you dealt with it. They added more and more seats to the place over the years, so you'd expect some give-backs. Here at MSG, they've managed to take away seats and add obstructions.... nuts.

If your goal is to watch the action on the ice, then no worry. If you want to watch the scoreboard or have a "great view" of the bowl / garden ceiling, then this "bridge" is going to be in your way.

Cheers!
-Doug

ah thanks! yeah i can manage as long as i can see the ice but the obstructed view of the rest of the arena will definitely get on my nerves. reminds of when i saw the rangers at the coliseum and i sat in the last row of the 300's and couldn't see the rest of the arena. its pretty annoying. not sure i understand the point of the catwalk

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
After these ticket price increases for both teams, what's the ticket price in the upper 200s for each team? Even before these increases, who has higher ticket prices in the same seat?

I don't want to hear that the Knicks have a higher average ticket price, since they have court-side seats. In actual equivalent seats, which team is more expensive?

Knicks, for the most part.

Look for yourself:

http://knicks2012.io-media.com/
http://rangers2012.io-media.com/

Knicks charge less for blue seats, high corners, and end courts.

Cheers!
-Doug

ban

Mar 20, 2012
I do not think the average fan is priced out. I think the diehard is priced out of going to 20 - 40 games a year. That is a difference.

So instead of the same 10,000 diehards+ 8,000 "others", we are now in a world where very few will go to every game, but many more "others" will get to a game or two. "Others" may be corporate (but they always had the expensive seats) but they can also be diehards who could never afford season tickets, or more casual fans who watch every night on TV.

I would doubt more than 1,000 go to EVERY game (or even 35 games). Many of that 1,000 might be on this board, so not a true sample.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
It sucks for some of us who are going to get priced out, but just because some people are richer than others doesn't make them less of a die-hard.

I'm a die-hard fan, but being 20 years old with no job (well only in the summer), I'm probably not going to buy any tickets next year. I bought 10 last year and 5 this year and I'm probably not going to buy any for next year. In the future when I start a career, I don't care how much tickets will cost. I'll pay for it. This whole "sucks for the die-hard fan" **** has to stop.

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
It sucks for some of us who are going to get priced out, but just because some people are richer than others doesn't make them less of a die-hard.

I'm a die-hard fan, but being 20 years old with no job (well only in the summer), I'm probably not going to buy any tickets next year. I bought 10 last year and 5 this year and I'm probably not going to buy any for next year. In the future when I start a career, I don't care how much tickets will cost. I'll pay for it. This whole "sucks for the die-hard fan" **** has to stop.

listen man, put yourself in our shoes and it sucks.

my first year was 06-07 and the prices in the 400's were $26 each. i was a senior in high school at the time and had a summer job to pay for my seats. same thing the first 2 years of college. i went to sacred heart in ct and drove down to most of the games.

now we're at $50 bucks, probably $55 next year. When's it going to end? Out of the 24 games this year at home i'll probably be at 10. I used to go to 35-40 games per season.

the gardens not the same, not the same type of fan, and they're pricing most of the loyal fans out. all in all it sucks as a fan. however, msg's goal is to make money and as several other posters have said here, until they can't sell out, they have to do what they have to do to continually increase revenues. from a purely business standpoint i agree with it.

at what point does the bubble burst and when will the market be unable to sustain the price increases? everyone is seeing whats going on in the bronx with the yankees. you'd think MSG would realize it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->