WJC: Ticket information & other things

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The second arena is undergoing reconstruction. It will have 3550 seats.

81241151.jpg

20536999.jpg

The second arena in Buffalo was significantly smaller than this one.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The WJR's in Alberta made a minimum of $22M with $86.2M in overall economic impact. In a word... "Wow".

Hope Russia reaps the same benefits.

My guess is it won't come close to that much money, but it will be enough to encourage other Russian cities to make competitive bids to host this and other tournaments.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
My guess is it won't come close to that much money, but it will be enough to encourage other Russian cities to make competitive bids to host this and other tournaments.

It's crazy what Canadians will pay to catch the world juniors tournament. In the 80's and early 90's, it took everything to get people excited about it, and fill arena's, and now your paying $1,000's of dollars to buy the tournament package.

I too hope Russia and the other hosts reap big money for it, as it is a great draw! :yo:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
It's crazy what Canadians will pay to catch the world juniors tournament. In the 80's and early 90's, it took everything to get people excited about it, and fill arena's, and now your paying $1,000's of dollars to buy the tournament package.

I too hope Russia and the other hosts reap big money for it, as it is a great draw! :yo:

I hope so as well. It will help to create interest in youth hockey in Russia, which can spur investment, but more importantly, improve the quality of entertaining, exciting hockey for fans like us to enjoy. Even though hockey arenas have increased in number and improved immensely in quality in recent years, there is still a long way to go to approach the quality of facilities and hockey operations that you have in Canada.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I've been a fan of the WJHC ever since the first one was televised in 1986 Hamilton. My first recollection of any WJHC was only video highlights on Sports Center (then Sports Desk) of the 1985 Championships from Helsinki where Wendel Clark scored the goal to clinch the gold medal in what was then a round robin format. In 1987 the brawl with the Russians, disqualification for both teams and then rebounding in 88 to win gold in Moscow was all Canada needed. Everybody was sold on this tournament, when TSN took over the annual broadcasting of the tournament and hyped the hell out of it...it was a hit. It's a formula all the other countries top countries should follow. Except for the brawling and disqualification. :)

Macman

May 15, 2004
I've been a fan of the WJHC ever since the first one was televised in 1986 Hamilton.

The '78 tournament in Montreal with Gretzky at 16 was televised. His game against the Czechs was the first time he ever played on national TV and he had five points or something ridiculous. I also remember seeing the final on TV of the '75 tournament between the Soviets and the WHL all-stars. It was in Winnipeg and before it was an official IIHF event.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The '78 tournament in Montreal with Gretzky at 16 was televised. His game against the Czechs was the first time he ever played on national TV and he had five points or something ridiculous. I also remember seeing the final on TV of the '75 tournament between the Soviets and the WHL all-stars. It was in Winnipeg and before it was an official IIHF event.

dude Macman! you're even older than I am.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

I'll take your word for it that 78 was televised. I'm too young to remember. Well, I was under the assumption that 86 Hamilton was the first one televised.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I'll take your word for it that 78 was televised. I'm too young to remember. Well, I was under the assumption that 86 Hamilton was the first one televised.

The '82 game between Canada and Russia was televised, and maybe some others too. The tournament was held in Winnipeg and Minnesota.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Yes, on CTV. The final game against the Czechs was carried on CBC Radio. I seem to recall a game from 1985 being televised.

Wow! That's amazing! I did not know that. My first recollection is of only highlights on the evening sports of Wendel Clark scoring the gold medal goal in Helsinki in 85. Or at least that's how I remember it. Great tournament! And I will be in Ufa Russia this Christmas to cheer on our boys!

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The '82 game between Canada and Russia was televised, and maybe some others too. The tournament was held in Winnipeg and Minnesota.

Thanks man! Too bad I missed that game! Oh well, I've seen many Canada-Russia classics. I'm sure I'll see a few more! A lot more God Willing! Cheers

pulverapa

Jul 22, 2011
Stockholm
Does anybody have a clue what it will cost to stay in Ufa from dec. 26 to jan. 6 + tickets to 12-15 games?

Canadian travel agency Destiny Tours requires you to phone them and ask, but I am not a customer... Obviously.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
so Grigorenko and Yakupov have signed with Buf/Edm and chances are we won't see them in Ufa. Who's gonna lead the team? with this outcome a bronze would be a success, imho.

Fulcrum

so Grigorenko and Yakupov have signed with Buf/Edm and chances are we won't see them in Ufa. Who's gonna lead the team? with this outcome a bronze would be a success, imho.

If those 2 aren't there, the hope would be on Kucherov and Kosov. But Gold medal would be a long shot.

Although, if they turn this more into a working/defending team, it could work.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
If those 2 aren't there, the hope would be on Kucherov and Kosov. But Gold medal would be a long shot.

Although, if they turn this more into a working/defending team, it could work.

I seriously doubt that they'll be there. Yakupov for sure will be in Edmonton all year, as Edmonton do not release 1st round draft picks to their national teams. They didn't release Hall and they didn't and will not this year release RNH, so no way they release Yakupov. Grigs is another question entirely. The other problem is, an NHL lockout lasting until December 1. (that's when most predict an NHL season will start if there is a lockout.) and NHL players like Grigs will be given the 9 games to see if he can make the NHL team, which means he won't be available for Russia camp. This WJHC could be tricky for a lot of teams.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

I think there is a chance that we will see Grigorenko in Ufa. He is younger, and the Canada-Russia series will give us a clearer picture of how ready he is to have an instant impact in the NHL.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I seriously doubt that they'll be there. Yakupov for sure will be in Edmonton all year, as Edmonton do not release 1st round draft picks to their national teams. They didn't release Hall and they didn't and will not this year release RNH, so no way they release Yakupov. Grigs is another question entirely. The other problem is, an NHL lockout lasting until December 1. (that's when most predict an NHL season will start if there is a lockout.) and NHL players like Grigs will be given the 9 games to see if he can make the NHL team, which means he won't be available for Russia camp. This WJHC could be tricky for a lot of teams.

Yakupov likely won't be there, but there is an excellent chance that Grigorenko would. Your "December 9" scenario would affect a lot of teams, particularly Canada. How many 1st and 2nd round draft choices are prospects for Canada's WJC team? If they all miss the WJC because of NHL camp, that would be a huge advantage for Russia, which has more quality players who won't be invited to NHL camps.

Fulcrum

I don't feel too bad that Yak and maybe Grigs won't be in Ufa, because we'll see them in SS. Any other year, would've been worse I guess. I'm fine with it, and I think Russia can come up with enough talent to compete in WJC regardless.

And hopefully they can both have a good year and have a shot at the WC and eventually Sochi. That's more important anyway.

Grigorenko looked good to me in Bufallo training camp and has a good chance as well, despite being out of shape. I think it takes a well trained hockey mind to see the value of Grigorenko, unlike with Yakupov where its all flash and dash.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Yakupov likely won't be there, but there is an excellent chance that Grigorenko would. Your "December 9" scenario would affect a lot of teams, particularly Canada. How many 1st and 2nd round draft choices are prospects for Canada's WJC team? If they all miss the WJC because of NHL camp, that would be a huge advantage for Russia, which has more quality players who won't be invited to NHL camps.

If that scenario unfolds, then yes, it will be a disaster for Team Canada as perhaps we may be without 15-20 players, pretty much the entire team, and HC will have to go with a complete B -Team. I'll try and come up with a line-up to see just how impacted Canada would be should that scenario unfold.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I gave it a quick look and I don't think it would be the disaster as I first feared. Based on the roster for the SS next month, the goaltending won't be impacted as none of them will be in NHL camp, if they are attending NHL camp i.e. Canada's starter Subban will be released from NHL camp rather early as everyone suspects he's 3 years away from making an NHL team.

Defense only marginally impacted as I see only 2 defensemen to be occupied with NHL camp, Murray and Hamilton.. The rest may attend NHL camp, but I suspect will be released quickly as none other than the 2 aforementioned are NHL ready. Reilly and what the Maple Leafs will do with him at camp is the wild card. I suspect he gets released from NHL camp quickly and returned to junior. or at least I am hoping.

The forwards are impacted most, but what would happen is this becomes a team with a few 19 year old collage players who are on the SS roster. The majority would be 18 year olds either drafted or presently in their draft year (Mackinnon a 17 year old but draft eligible) and a few ungeragers.

A medal of any color would be a great accomplishment, but the team could hold its own with any country out there and would not get embarrassed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad