Speculation: Three's Company

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
Just curious as this Goaltending situation is one of the more intriguing to me in the league.

In say 2 years time what do you think the pecking order is assuming you don't somehow get another goalie outside of the organization

Who has the highest potential of the 3 and in what order?

Who is the best bet to start and backup NEXT SEASON

Thanks for playing along!

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Highest potential: Holtby
Best goalie right now, IMO: Neuvirth

Most likely starter next season: Holtby
Most likely backup next season: Neuvirth

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
images

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
Well this has clearly been a welcomed discussion...

I really just wanted to know if people thought with the surprise run Grubauer had, is he capable of being a starter in Washington, or was that a flash in the pan. If not is he gonna be stuck here for 3-4 years? Will they trade him instead of Nuevirth?

For the 1-2 that gave me an actual response I appreciate it.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Well this has clearly been a welcomed discussion...

I really just wanted to know if people thought with the surprise run Grubauer had, is he capable of being a starter in Washington, or was that a flash in the pan. If not is he gonna be stuck here for 3-4 years? Will they trade him instead of Nuevirth?

For the 1-2 that gave me an actual response I appreciate it.

I think Grubuaer is definitely blocked next season.

I don't think that Neuvirth has a future in this organization (or the league really) but I doubt the Caps are able to get rid of his contract before it expires.

2014/15 - Holtby will start, Neuvirth will backup
2015/16 Holtby will start, Grubuaer will likely backup

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
To answer your 3's company inquiry we would have to guess.

George wants 3 young goalies. No one knows which will be the best.

We don't know anything more than you about next season. We don't even know about now.

Why do you ask about next season 8 months in advance?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's a quandary, a clutterbuck. Nuevy seemingly 3rd on the depth chart, is the highest paid. Requests a trade. George retains him anyways. He seemingly steals the starter spot. And then has one of his sick days, and loses the spot overnight. All the while our rocket scientist level staff is re-inventing goaltending 101. Which Holtby pushes back on, which was the key to become our starter overnight. Some were calling our 3 Grubs our undisputed starter.

And then George will go get Miller if he wins a gold.

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
To answer your 3's company inquiry we would have to guess.

George wants 3 young goalies. No one knows which will be the best.

We don't know anything more than you about next season. We don't even know about now.

Why do you ask about next season 8 months in advance?

.....well yeah that was kind of the point, for you to make an educated guess

Why on earth would there be a thread calling for information that hasn't happened yet

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sometimes I don't get the Neuvirth negativity, but that's for another thread.
McPhee said after resigning both Holtby and Neuvirth that he would reevaluate the goaltending after the season.

My read on the situation was that young goalies are erratic in general and more effected by opposition adjustments to their game than a skater. So, it takes longer to see their growth thru. This is why Neuvirth was extended. Holtby has had his up's and down's.

I think there is a reasonable chance that if Holtby is strong and consistant down the stretch, that Neuvirth will be traded.

I also think that even if he is, Grubauer remains the starting AHL goalie next seasom. If Holtby doesn't play well and Neuvirth does, both remain for 2014-15. if Holtby is strong and claims the #1 slot, then I'd be the Caps find a vet back up.

Grubauer isn't going to back up either place in that scenario. He is either the starter in Hershey or the fill in starter in Washington.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
.....well yeah that was kind of the point, for you to make an educated guess

Why on earth would there be a thread calling for information that hasn't happened yet

If you won't answer my question about why you need to know 8 months in advance, you know, give us some perspective on what you are looking for, why do you get crabby when we don't answer yours?

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
Sometimes I don't get the Neuvirth negativity, but that's for another thread.
McPhee said after resigning both Holtby and Neuvirth that he would reevaluate the goaltending after the season.

My read on the situation was that young goalies are erratic in general and more effected by opposition adjustments to their game than a skater. So, it takes longer to see their growth thru. This is why Neuvirth was extended. Holtby has had his up's and down's.

I think there is a reasonable chance that if Holtby is strong and consistant down the stretch, that Neuvirth will be traded.

I also think that even if he is, Grubauer remains the starting AHL goalie next seasom. If Holtby doesn't play well and Neuvirth does, both remain for 2014-15. if Holtby is strong and claims the #1 slot, then I'd be the Caps find a vet back up.

Grubauer isn't going to back up either place in that scenario. He is either the starter in Hershey or the fill in starter in Washington.

I think Grubuaer is definitely blocked next season.

I don't think that Neuvirth has a future in this organization (or the league really) but I doubt the Caps are able to get rid of his contract before it expires.

2014/15 - Holtby will start, Neuvirth will backup
2015/16 Holtby will start, Grubuaer will likely backup

Very interesting Insight thanks guys!

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
If you won't answer my question about why you need to know 8 months in advance, you know, give us some perspective on what you are looking for, why do you get crabby when we don't answer yours?

I'm not interested in arguing Randy I'm far too mellow.

If it is that much of interest, I simply find it to be a unique situation where a team had 3 young goalies who have shown flashes of brilliance but nothing sustainable, trading them t their current value seems like a non-option, and to me bringing in a 4th goalie seems silly.

However I'm not going to lie and say I've watched every caps game and know who has actually performed the best, and not just looks statistically good.

Just curious as to what the home town fans thought or felt should be the course of action and how it's effect those tenders. Quality talent/potential in net doesn't get Logjammed too often

The Bruins will Possibly face, not the same situation because given numerous factors Rask shouldn't e unseated nor would I ever want him to, but with Khudobin and Johnson proving to be able to put in high quality seasons as Rasks backup, it SEEMS that most anyone can play that role...it'll be interesting in 2-3 years when both Svedberg and Subban are ready to show what they have, and the potential lack of room they will face. Thy may face what the oddan out faces in your Capital's Situation

Again not even close to the same but you can draw certain comparisons

All just curiousity man

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

If it is that much of interest, I simply find it to be a unique situation where a team had 3 young goalies who have shown flashes of brilliance but nothing sustainable, trading them t their current value seems like a non-option, and to me bringing in a 4th goalie seems silly.

However I'm not going to lie and say I've watched every caps game and know who has actually performed the best, and not just looks statistically good.

Just curious as to what the home town fans thought or felt should be the course of action and how it's effect those tenders. Quality talent/potential in net doesn't get Logjammed too often

The Bruins will Possibly face, not the same situation because given numerous factors Rask shouldn't e unseated nor would I ever want him to, but with Khudobin and Johnson proving to be able to put in high quality seasons as Rasks backup, it SEEMS that most anyone can play that role...it'll be interesting in 2-3 years when both Svedberg and Subban are ready to show what they have, and the potential lack of room they will face. Thy may face what the oddan out faces in your Capital's Situation

Again not even close to the same but you can draw certain comparisons

All just curiousity man

Caps had a similar situation in the 90's with Byron Dafoe, Jim Carey, and Olaf Kolzig. They eventually got rid of Dafoe and Carey leaving Kolzig as the lone man.

This will play out over the next couple of years ending with Grubauer, Holtby, or someone not named Neuvirth.

I sure hope they dump Neuvirth before his value completely diminishes.

Problem is that there is very little consensus on this board on this issue. Furthermore, I could point you to a thread on the issue, but there are very few single topic threads as everything gets lumped into the few threads at the top of the queue.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

I...

We were just having some fun since you inadvertently made reference to an old US TV show, and started a thread on a subject that we live pretty much day to day. One with no clear answer. Well to some, the answer is Miller. Tending has been a mess.

458_MellowOut_VBL_Z.jpg

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
We were just having some fun since you inadvertently made reference to an old US TV show, and started a thread on a subject that we live pretty much day to day. One with no clear answer. Well to some, the answer is Miller. Tending has been a mess.

458_MellowOut_VBL_Z.jpg

The title reference was 100% on purpose haha, and what would you envision happening to the other 3 goalies should you acquire miller?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
So, you trolled your own thread with a TV show title yet got bent when we talked about the show.

Dennis_the_Menace_promo.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad