• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Hanifin: Seems like a more sheltered Hamilton (who was already quite sheltered). He clearly has lots of potential and has missed only a handful of games since being drafted. He seems like a downgrade on Hamilton but he's also kinda where Hamilton was at when we traded for him. I don't think he ever surpasses him, though.

Hamilton and Giordano had the hardest matchups by far last year. Hamilton, Giordano, and Backlund were at +1.0 for the highest rating of quality of competition. Monahan, Tkachuk, Frolik, Gaudreau, and Ferland were right underneath. Hamilton did only play 21:32/game, and only 0:30 SH/game, and was about 53% in offensive zone starts (not sure how they measure that).

Hanifin was very sheltered. Staal takes the hardest matchups for the Canes, with 1.0 on the qualcomp measure. Slavin, Pesce, and Teravainen are closely behind Staal. Hanifin had a -0.5 on the qualcomp measure, right with TVR and Fleury, the rookie. Hanifin also was at about 63% zone starts. Hanifin averaged 18:52/game, and only 0:05 SH/game.

Calgary Flames Player Usage Chart | leftwinglock.com
Carolina Hurricanes Player Usage Chart | leftwinglock.com

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Except for having equal production in their first 3 seasons, right?
By production, are you only talking points?
Hamilton's analytics are FAR superior to Hanifin, and they aren't attributed to his partners, because they are equally as good without his best partners.
I've watched way more Hanifin and the kid has a penchant for big, boneheaded plays. I think, at his peak, he will be a solid #2 who can chip in on the offense. With a really good team, he may even have a 50 point season, but his D will be suspect.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Hamilton's analytics are FAR superior to Hanifin, and they aren't attributed to his partners, because they are equally as good without his best partners.
I've watched way more Hanifin and the kid has a penchant for big, boneheaded plays. I think, at his peak, he will be a solid #2 who can chip in on the offense. With a really good team, he may even have a 50 point season, but his D will be suspect.
You are comparing a 25 year old with a 21 year old. Remember that.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Dougie Hamilton - Flawed, but useful #2D a la Brent Seabrook
Adam Fox - Elite #2 D, might be a #1 but no one will give him that credit due to size a la Ryan Ellis
Noah Hanifin - Complete #2D, maybe even #1 a la Mattias Ekholm
Elias Lindholm - Solid Top six forward good for 45-55 pts a season a la Jacob Silfverberg
Micheal Ferland - 75+ point late blooming All-Star Power Forward a la Chris Kunitz
Lmaooooo at some of these

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I find it difficult to pick a player out of this group - so many unknowns.

I will say this, however. Hamilton is a very solid #2, but he doesn't have what it takes to be the #1 guy. I think a true #1 is a guy that can play BOTH ends of the ice well, AND who can take over a game. Hamilton is a good offensive defencemen who has consistency issues on defence (not terrible - way overblown if you ask me, but they are there), and has inconsistent efforts game-to-game. I just haven't seen him take over a game. Giordano does. Often. Brodie did before being moved to the left side. Hamilton? Not so much. That's not a really big dig at Hamilton - a #2 offensive defencemen is still EXTREMELY important and valuable to a team (hence the steep acquisition cost), but I just don't think he will ever become that #1 guy. He is just too laid back too often.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Dougie Hamilton - Flawed, but useful #2D a la Brent Seabrook

Noah Hanifin - Complete #2D, maybe even #1 a la Mattias Ekholm

How? Hanifin doesn't crush people in open ice or engage in autotelic physicality or succeed spectacularly when he goes into board work, and has a muffin shot and average offensive instincts.

he could easily fix what's holding him back fron middle pair minute muncher: his inconsistent to poor decision making and his tendency to panic in high pressure situations. But I doubt he's ever an overt positive on the boards and think it unlikely he starts rail roading people consistently; and I'm confident he will never touch the offensive production of hamilton. Hamilton has an elite PP skillset; Hanifin is serviceable as a qb

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Would much rather than than Dougie...

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Talent wise, still Dougie.

In terms of which player you'd rather have on your team? Probably Hanifin. Talent drop is not significant enough that you'd prefer Dougie "locker room cancer" Hamilton over Hanifin.

Dougie lasted 3 years in Boston and 3 in Calgary (and there were constant rumors the Flames were trying to move Hamilton his last year with them). He seems to last about 2 years before his teammates/coaches hate him, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Canes try and move Hamilton before his NMC clause kicks in (2019-2020 season).

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Hamilton is and will remain a flawed but skilled top pairing dman. A not as good Brent Burns.

Adam Fox could go either way. I think he'll be a decent 2nd pairing guy who can run a powerplay.

Ferland, I think will take a significant step back now that he's away from Monahan and Gaudreau. He'll remain a well rounded 3rd line winger.

Hanifin will become what I'll call a 2.5. Good enough for a top pairing, but ideally he's a #3.

Lindholm will be a #1 RW or strong #2 center.

Overall, I think Carolina will make out better assuming they can get all three signed/re-signed. Flames benefit here by having two younger guys who fit their team long term, who can be signed right now at reasonable caphits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->