Post-Game Talk: Three Stars + Good, Bad, Ugly (Game 6)

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
It feels like there's been a season's worth of brutal losses already, and we're only 6 games in.

Season Totals (3 for 1st, 2 for 2nd, etc.):
ROR - 6
Perron - 4
Schenn - 4
Tarasenko - 4
Kyrou - 3
Edmundson - 3
Thomas - 2
Allen - 2
Schmaltz - 1
Maroon - 1

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
1: Alex Steen: Great pass to Schenn, hounded the puck all night
2: Jake Allen: Recovered after a terrible goal to start the game and kept us in it
3: Ryan O'Reilly: Great job keeping the puck in on first goal. He does so many things well.

Reactions: BleedBlue14

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
ROR
Schenn
Dunn

The only one I want to give points to is ROR because he's the only guy on the team worth a f***, but I have to pick three so I chose the other two goal scorers because at least they did something productive.

Good-Rather than breaking our heart at the end of the season, the Blues have come out early and established they aren't any good this year. This should allow us to be pragmatic about our approach in the coming weeks and months. Army had the presence of mind to protect our first round pick this year.

Bad-The entire organization from top to bottom.

Ugly-Jake Allen is still our starting goalie, Mike Yeo is still our head coach, we've already found a way to take ourselves out of the playoff picture so the rest of the season is essentially meaningless, Jordan Kyrou's finishing abilities are about as good as mine.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
1) Ryan O’Reilly: the guy was just a monster tonight. He was doing everything right, and was the reason Kyrou looked adequate on that line.
2) Brayden Schenn: I thought he had a strong game and that goal was awesome to watch.
3) Tyler Bozak: I thought he was dangerous all night. It was really the first time I felt he was creating chances, and was positively affecting the game even if he didn’t end up on the scoresheet.

The Good:
The third line looked good and I liked the Blais - Barbie - Sanford line. Steen was noticeably better than in previous nights. Schmaltz and Dunn looked good.

The Bad:
I really didn’t think Kyrou played well. It’s hard moving to the top line as a rookie because he’s playing against the top defensive units, so I understand why. But he looked too lost and only looked dangerous when O’Reilly was handing him scoring chances.

The Ugly:
Minute 59:49.7.

Last edited:

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
The good: It’s really not the young players killing us. There were mistakes certainly, but they are earning more opportunity generally, and certainly many of the guys we have seen for years are offering them the opportunity to take more.

The bad: We missed so many clears it is embarrassing. We let ourselves get stuck on the ice, extremely vulnerable, on clears we should be able to make near 100% of the time.

The ugly: The first period was possibly the sloppiest I have seen the Blues play in many years. Hard to ignore how this got lost at the end, but this team is flailing around to start the season, has a couple of off days, and this is what they look like at the jump? That is terrifying.

Sanford - such a long wait since his last NHL game, with so many awful things driving that wait. He played pretty well considering, and deserves walking away from his return with a better result than this.

ROR

Kyrou

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
1) Ryan O’Reilly: the guy was just a monster tonight. He was doing everything right, and was the reason Kyrou looked adequate on that line.
2) Brayden Schenn: I thought he had a strong game and that goal was awesome to watch.
3) Tyler Bozak: I thought he was dangerous all night. It was really the first time I felt he was creating chances, and was positively affecting the game even if he didn’t end up on the scoresheet.

The Good:
The third line looked good and I liked the Blais - Barbie - Sanford line. Steen was noticeably better than in previous nights. Schmaltz and Dunn looked good.

The Bad:
I really didn’t think Kyrou played well. It’s hard moving to the top line as a rookie because he’s playing against the top defensive units, so I understand why. But he looked too lost and only looked dangerous when O’Reilly was handing him scoring chances.

The Ugly:
Minute 58:57.
I think Kyrou did a little more than you're giving him credit for, but I certainly respect your opinion.

Reactions: The Note in MI

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
1. Steen

2. Dunn

3. ROR

I honestly thought outside of Schenn's goal which Steen completely made the play for him on, Schenn took a lot of bad chances trying to jump a pass and didn't look good handling the puck. Now don't get me wrong he had a pretty decent game but I think others had a bit better of a game

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Steen
Dunn
Kyrou (not sure we had three tonight, but whatever)

the bad was Maroon bailing on his screens, literally only thing we pay him for

Everyone knows the ugly

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I think Kyrou did a little more than you're giving him credit for, but I certainly respect your opinion.
Well a good majority of people in this thread are putting him in the top three stars, so maybe I’m just weird.

I’m not trying to say Kyrou is bad or anything of the like, I just didn’t think he had a good game today. I saw him make many bad passes, some that seemed forced or others that seemed way too risky. Then he would consistently try to charge up the ice with the puck and would go headlong into defensive players only to lose possession as his line mates were entering the zone, chasing potential odd-man rushes against. He did place himself in opportunities to score, so it’s not like I think he was incapable or anything. But I feel as though the plays were developed in spite of his doing as opposed to him actively helping it along.

Again though, I could be just weird. I mean, I’m the kind of guy who will eat shredded cheese out of the bag, so my opinion might not be the best to respect.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Steen
Dunn
Barbashev

HM: Sanford, Pietrangelo, Bozak.

All Barbashev does is out work the opposition and constantly draw penalties. It is unreal how many PPs he gets the team. Thought Steen had a good game and Dunn played well. He and Schmaltz looked pretty solid together out there IMO.

I actually thought Kyrou looked better this game than last. :dunno:

Bouwmeester should not be playing top pairing minutes. Still can be a useful player, but I just don't understand how/why Yeo is playing him 19+ minutes per night.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
The good - I wasn't at the game.

The bad - Parayko.

The ugly - How long this ALCS game is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad