Three Shades of Black (& Gold)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The week was heralded as a homecoming week for three former Boston star players. Two of the reactions caught me off guard and the one I expected had a nice twist to it.

The one I figured would be overwhelmingly predictable was the reception Tim Thomas got- and at the end of the day few took it personal and focused less on the off ice stuff and more on what he and his teammates accomplished around 10:30 June 15 2011, That his coaching staff and teammates joined it a truly memorable event. He deserved a standing O and the fans delivered.

The Seguin reaction surprised me- I expected some boos but I was sitting there and it had a 'angry/mean' feel to it. There was a bunch of stuff yelled that one year ago would have seemed impossible, The tags from soft to spoiled, to childlike and underachieving are likely the cause of every boo or comment; yet as I sat there looking around I felt disappointed in not so much him or the fans but at how I perceived how I expected it would evolve over time. It seemed like yesterday I was following every Leafs game in the race for Hall/Seguin and enjoying it as much as actually having him. Watching the draft lottery thinking 'we can't get jumped now'- and we didn't. And there was and always will be that game 2 second period against Tampa when for 20 minutes Tyler Seguin would have made Bobby Orr jealous. Truth is Loui Eriksson can put up Dallas numbers here, and Reilly Smith can be a steal. But I wanted Tyler Seguin to be a point a game player who in the room and off the ice was somewhere near the mean as the rest of the Cup mates. I don't blame Chiarelli one bit but it doesn't make it any less disappointing.

The week finished up with the return of Phil Kessel. Again I went and was surprised how his perception has changed. He was sporadically booed but hit even close to before- his name was not chanted as in the past; and even Chara wasn't playing him with the fury of the first 25 or so games they matched up. Kessel changed a lot of minds last Spring and at least to me and I think a lot of others is someone to be feared when he comes on the ice not serenaded or ridiculed.

It was interesting that each was treated differently

Last edited:

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Good post DKH.

Concerning Seguin, I don't boo players usually, but he deserved every single boo, comment, whatever he got personally. The kid has talent, will be a star, etc., but when it comes down to it, if you'd rather be partying during the Stanley Cup Playoffs than putting in the effort night in and night out, not only do I not want you on the team I am invested in, I WILL boo you.

I can look passed slow starts, lack of scoring, etc., if the effort and commitment is there (ala Jagr), but when those things aren't there and you're playing like *******...not a chance that gets overlooked.

I'm glad things seem to be working out for him in Dallas, wish they did here, but I don't miss him at all.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I think the boos would have been a lot less plentiful if either/both of:

1) Seguin had a rough start in Dallas
2) Eriksson had a great start in Boston

Because neither of those happened, some fans are feeling jaded that Seguin's poor play in the playoffs not only cost them a Cup, but also forced management's hand in dealing a very talented player for "scraps."

Not an accurate reason to boo... But one that I can at least understand the reasoning behind.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
The Thomas reception was pretty warm although I did see a guy giving the finger towards the press box during the applause. NESN actually had a clip of it on NESN Daily that slipped past the screeners. I'm sure others saw it.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Braving the risk of presenting a self-awared foolish argument, but to this point in the season Reilly Smith and Loui Eriksson have combined for the same point totals that Seguin has in Dallas. And we have Joe Morrow and Matt Fraser in Providence.

I know, I know. I'm ignoring Peverley. And adding two players' productions together to "equal" one player is terribly poor support for a position.

But I also like this roster better than any I've seen in over 20 years as a Bruins fan. And that doesn't happen without dealing Seguin first. I think thus far - it's actually working a little bit better than most (including myself) assumed it would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad