GDT: Three Rivers Classic

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Saw PSU v. RMU.

Penn State's goaltender had some serious issues. Only lasted a period.

Someone tried a ''We are!'' and someone yelled out ''down by 5!''. Touche.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
OSU Miami was a great defensive game. All 5 guys busting their ***** in the defensive end. Some great stuff. I really enjoyed that game.

Azkals

Jun 15, 2012
Anyone going to this thing? I just miss hockey man. Are there any specific players to watch between the 4 teams?

I went yesterday and I am going again today.

I'm a PSU student and an RMU fan so I am biased towards those two teams. Some players I would watch.

There are some players with NHL connections on PSU. Jake Gardiner's brother Max on PSU is the highest NHL draft pick in the tournament with the Blues. Max played with Minny his freshman year and struggled, he has slowly been turning it around at Penn St and has setup a few goals. Brandon Saad's brother George has played on the club team the past couple years but hasn't had much of a role on the D1 team and he sometimes plays on the 4th line. Edzo's son Tommy scored his first D1 goal against RMU a couple weeks ago on a redirection. He's a really hard worker but hasn't done much of anything on offense this season.

Both goalies Eric Levine (RMU) and Brady Hjelle (OSU) are top 3 in SV%, .951 and .949. Skoff, starting G for PSU and against OSU today, is from McKees Rock and originally committed to play at OSU, so an interesting story line there.

David Glen on PSU is probably my favorite player to watch. He takes a lot of penalties which can really agitate you and yesterday he received a major for that questionable hit to the head. But he is pretty skilled and has a darn good shot.

You might want to keep your eye on some of the NHL draft picks.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/pages/nhl-draft-picks-playing-college-hockey

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Ryan Dzingel looks like a hell of a player from OSU. Netted a hat-trick today against PSU.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Was at the championship game tonight. Miami outplayed RMU in large stretches of the game but holy hell did RMU's goalie stand on his head. Multiple breakaway saves, killer toe saves, and one unbelievable glove save where everyone in the crowd was in disbelief that he was able to make the save.

Kudos to Levine from RMU. One of the best goaltending performances I've seen in a LONG time. He made 50 or 51 saves.

Also, if the Pens found a way to get this Caito kid from Miami in their system in the future, I'd love to see it. He's a defenseman that has offensive skill, smart defensively, and throws some punishing hits once in a while. Had a great hip check in the game tonight. Can't believe he's a freshman on a top team in the NCAA and plays the game the way he does. Skill set reminds me of another Letang.

Last edited:

Azkals

Jun 15, 2012
Caito is eligible for the NHL draft and could be a mid/late pick. There also has been some talk about him on here.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Brady Hjelle (OSU) is a beast in net. I try to watch as much OSU hockey on BTN as I can. Little tid bit here, Umberger is actually coaching at Ohio State while the lockout is going on.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Brady Hjelle (OSU) is a beast in net. I try to watch as much OSU hockey on BTN as I can. Little tid bit here, Umberger is actually coaching at Ohio State while the lockout is going on.

Wasn't he a transfer from Minny?

And I ran into Umberger at the hotel before the game. Lobby full of people, not one person went up to him.

Pittsburgh is a Penguins town, not a hockey town. :)

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
And I ran into Umberger at the hotel before the game. Lobby full of people, not one person went up to him.

Meh, he's RJ Umberger. I doubt if you put him in downtown Detroit or Toronto people would recognize him.

Also, he's from Pittsburgh. Looks just like the rest of us :laugh:

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Wasn't he a transfer from Minny?

Yes, he did transfer from Duluth (UMD).

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Forgot the mention that Shero was in general crowd talking with George Saad Sr. (Brandons father.) during the PSU-OSU game. Sheros arm was in a sling for some reason.

Everyone in their Penguins jerseys just walking right by, no big deal. :laugh:

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
I can't believe how well Robert Morris has done in hockey. Doesn't seem like that long ago that they started up the program and here they are now ranked. Pretty incredible for such a small school in an area that's not necessarily a hockey hotbed of talent, though with the way athletics are, it probably means the head coach will be moving onto a bigger gig somewhere else.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Forgot the mention that Shero was in general crowd talking with George Saad Sr. (Brandons father.) during the PSU-OSU game. Sheros arm was in a sling for some reason.

Everyone in their Penguins jerseys just walking right by, no big deal. :laugh:

And?

You know what my reaction is when I see someone famous? Nothing. Maybe a quick smile as a nod of recognition, but that's it. I've heard players say that one of their favorite things about Pittsburgh is that they're recognized, but left to themselves.

You can be a hockey fan without being a fanboy.

As for Umberger...I probably wouldn't be able to pick him out of a crowd. He's not a distinctive looking guy. Hell, he looks like half the guys I went to high school with.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
So when are we drafting Timmy Olcyzk or whatever Edzo's kid's name is? PSU Captain. Division 1 Legend! :sarcasm:

Actually it's good to see hockey expanding in the Big Ten. You know me. I like it when hockey expands. :D

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
So when are we drafting Timmy Olcyzk or whatever Edzo's kid's name is? PSU Captain. Division 1 Legend! :sarcasm:

Actually it's good to see hockey expanding in the Big Ten. You know me. I like it when hockey expands. :D

The conference next year looks pretty good.

1. Michigan
2. Michigan St
3. Minnesota
4. Ohio State
5. Penn St
6. Wisconsin

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I didn't go for the championship game but I have no clue how Penn State beat Ohio State. The level of play between RMU-PSU was at such a lower level than the Miami-Ohio game. Speed, skill, goaltending...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->