Three quarters for a dollar trades

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
If my aforementioned Jagr trade, the Penguins traded a dollar and got five million real dollars back... What's the exchange rate there...?

How about when NY traded Marian Gaborik to CBJ for Derick Brassard, John Moore and Derek Dorsett...?

Gaborik did nothing for CBJ before being peddled along for nothing...meanwhile, Brassard broke out to become a 60-point center before being traded for something of value (Mika Zibanejad and a 2nd)...

The Gaborik trade is a good one. I remember talking to a fellow Ranger fan about the deal and being disappointed with the return for NYR. Brassard ended up being one of my favorite Rangers of the last few years. Dude was money in the playoffs.

Luongo for Bertuzzi, Auld and Allen.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
That Mogilny trade reminded me of another one that year: Pat Verbeek for Glen Featherstone, Michael Stewart, and a 1st (J.S. Giguere).

That trade was just as I was getting into hockey, so I don't know how Featherstone/Stewart was perceived at the time.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
At the time of the trade, Moog was considered a top flight goaltender blocked in the Oilers' net by Fuhr.

Bill Ranford was in the minors after essentially one season as a co-starter with Doug Keans, and was part of the damage in a first-round sweep to their rivals (I know, I know - the Canadiens are everyone's rivals.)

Courtnall was a 30-goal scorer, which was solid in the 1980s but not top line or anything.

And a second round pick is a second round pick (which turned into Petro Koivunen).

At the time of the trade, this trade qualifies for the thread. Player who can step in now, player on cusp of lineup, pick.
Well, I was thinking in terms of the OP's description of "trade your star player" -- Moog clearly wasn't the Oilers' star player.

At the time of that trade, Courtnall was a decent 32nd in NHL goal-scoring, ahead of players like Glenn Anderson and Joe Mullen, and he was 2nd on the Bruins (to Neely) in goals. (You're being a little disingenuous to Courtnall, who had five of his 30+ goal seasons in the nineties, not that this was relevant at the time of the trade.)

You're right about Ranford languishing in the minors during 1987-88, though. That is surprising, in light of his above-average play for them in 1986-87. He was effectively their top goalie that year, and had the best stats of the three main goalies they started that season. Yet the Bruins obviously thought he couldn't hack it or something, and they traded for veteran Reggie Lemelin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad