Three quarters for a dollar trades

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
pretty self-explanatory, but to be clear: a three quarters for a dollar trade is where for whatever reason you have to trade your star player and instead of going star for star you trade him for three lesser pieces.

i find this to be an interesting trade model, and often with a predictable set up: a player that contribute now, a young player on the cusp of entering the lineup, and a pick/prospect.

examples: joe thornton for brad stuart, marco sturm, and wayne primeau

ed belfour for ulf dahlen, chris terreri, and michal sykora

chris pronger for eric brewer, jeff woywitka, and doug lynch

mark messier for bernie nicholls, steven rice, and louie debrusk

teemu selanne for oleg tverdovsky, chad kilger, and a 3rd round pick

trevor linden for bryan mccabe, todd bertuzzi, and a 3rd round pick
(^ basically the bizarro version of the selanne trade)

ryan kesler for nick bonino, luca sbisa, and a 1st

mark recchi for eric desjardins, john leclair, and gilbert dionne

chris chelios for anders eriksson and two 1sts

phil kessel for two 1sts and a 2nd

[insert star here] for ryder, halak, and a 2nd

what others are there?

Reactions: NYR94

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Bobby Ryan for Silfverberg, prospect Noesen and a 1st rounder.

Mike Richards (along with now forgotten prospect Bordson) was traded for Simmonds, B. Schenn and a 2nd rounder.

Jeff Carter to the Jackets for Voracek, 1st round pick and 3rd round pick

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Kane for O'Reagan, a conditional 1st and a 4th(?)

Hoffman for boedeker, borgman and a pick

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Alexei Yashin for Zdeno Chara, Bill Muckalt and the 2nd overall that year (Spezza...) when he got traded to the NYI.

Thomas Vanek to the NYI for Moulson, cond. 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder back in 2013.

Paul Coffey to the LA Kings for Brian Benning, Jeff Chychrun and a 1st rounder.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Doug Gilmour (and Dave Ellett) for Steve Sullivan, Jason Smith, and Alyn McCauley.

Sullivan was 22 and had put up 31 points in 49 NHL games to go along with a couple of great AHL seasons. Smith was a 22 year old former first rounder. McCauley was in the midst of a season where he'd be named CHL player of the year. All three players would hit their strides to varying degrees, but after leaving Toronto.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
A few from the Devils:
2/24/12 New Jersey acquires Zidlicky, sending Kurtis Foster, Nick Palmieri, and Stephane Velleux (+2nd & cond. 3rd) to Minnesota
11/25/05 Devils traded Pascal Rheaume,Ray Shultz,and Stephen Spencer to Arizona for Brad Ference
11/9/01 NJ gets Andrei Zyuzin from Tampa Bay in exchange for Boumedienne,Sasha Goc, and rights to Anton But
None of them stars, though.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
um, a lot of trades listed that were missing either the dollar or the three quarters. i'm seeing a dollar for four quarters (and i have one of those too: tkachuk for handzus, nagy, taffe, and a late first rounder that phoenix wisely used on ben eager), a dollar and a dime for three quarters, a dollar and some pocket lint for some spare change, a keychain for a bag of screws...

but anyway, i'm seeing three dollar for three quarter trades where the team trading away the dollar actually came out way ahead.

linden for mccabe, bertuzzi, and the 3rd rounder that became the enormously entertaining jarkko ruutu

yashin for chara, muckalt, and the 2nd overall that everyone knew would be spezza

recchi for desjardins, leclair, and gilbert dionne

any others?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
If my aforementioned Jagr trade, the Penguins traded a dollar and got five million real dollars back... What's the exchange rate there...?

How about when NY traded Marian Gaborik to CBJ for Derick Brassard, John Moore and Derek Dorsett...?

Gaborik did nothing for CBJ before being peddled along for nothing...meanwhile, Brassard broke out to become a 60-point center before being traded for something of value (Mika Zibanejad and a 2nd)...

Reactions: NYR94

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Gretzky for Johnson, Tardif, and Vopat
Nash for Spooner, Beleskey, and Lindgren
Boedker for Tanguay, Connor Bleackley, and Kyle Wood

And Grabner for whatever change was under the car seat: C. Verhaege, C. Gibson, T. Nilsson, T. Beck, and M. Finn

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Sergei Gonchar was traded to Boston from Washington for Shaone Morrisonn, 1st round pick and a 2nd rounder back in 2004.

Milan Lucic for goalie Martin Jones, Colin Miller and a 1st round pick.

Last edited:

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
If my aforementioned Jagr trade, the Penguins traded a dollar and got five million real dollars back... What's the exchange rate there...?

How about when NY traded Marian Gaborik to CBJ for Derick Brassard, John Moore and Derek Dorsett...?

Gaborik did nothing for CBJ before being peddled along for nothing...meanwhile, Brassard broke out to become a 60-point center before being traded for something of value (Mika Zibanejad and a 2nd)...

-Under the OP's post the trade was for "whatever" reason. Technically the Jagr trade qualifies, but in reality, it was a cap dump on a player that had gambling problems at the time along with major chemistry and major internal issues with the Penguins at the current time. Penguins hand was almost forced to trading him.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Patrick Roy for Jocelyn Thibault, Martin Rucinsky, and Andrei Kovalenko. (And Mike Keane for free!)
Good call. Roy was still Roy, and Montreal got some decent players, Thibault had the tough task of pretty much replacing Roy and he did alright. Rucinsky had some good seasons there and Kovalenko for whatever reason was traded the following season for Thornton, but put up decent numbers in his brief time with the Habs.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
-Under the OP's post the trade was for "whatever" reason. Technically the Jagr trade qualifies, but in reality, it was a cap dump on a player that had gambling problems at the time along with major chemistry and major internal issues with the Penguins at the current time. Penguins hand was almost forced to trading him.

I think we all pretty much know that. Though, the gambling/tax stuff wasn't what pushed it over the edge certainly...

The Penguins even hired some friends and things, like they had in the past (Jiri Hrdina, for instance) to try to salvage things before ultimately not wanting to pay for him any more...we could have done a lot better with a little better scouting...but a lot of the scouting staff was just FoMs - so we got what we got...

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
in my OP, i only included one deadline/UFA trade, chelios for eriksson and two picks.

i think in general, what we mean by a dollar for three quarters trade is you have to trade your star player. could be because he's too expensive, or because he and the coach can't get along, or because his wife won't live in your city, or because he slept with someone else's wife, or because his wife was being cyberbullied by a teammate's wife, or... lots of reasons. technically, upcoming unrestricted free agency can be a reason, but in most cases i don't think a two month rental really is a "dollar," per se.

anyway, the reason the dollar for three quarters trade is interesting to me is because you have to trade this star. and you know there's no way to get full market value because everyone knows you have to trade him and also because how often do you see an equitable star for star deal under any circumstances? so you make the decision to go the three quarters route: if i'm going to lose the trade, i'll get a cheaper guy at the same position to replace my star and hopefully replace 3/4 of what my star does, then i'll make up what i lose in talent/impact with depth. so usually it's a young player at a different position and a prospect or draft pick.

even though throwing in mike keane for no reason* muddies things, the roy trade is basically your perfect three quarters for a dollar trade. you get a young, highly touted french goalie to replace roy's spot in the lineup and hopefully eventually grow to be a star himself, and you get two young scoring forwards. you accept that you can't win on talent and you try to win with the depth upgrade.

* actually, it was so pierre turgeon could be the new captain, ugh

Reactions: brachyrynchos

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
In 1988 the Bruins acquired Andy Moog for Geoff Courtnall, Bill Ranford and a 2nd rounder.

Moog was demanding a trade, according to Wiki. Andy Moog - Wikipedia
Moog wasn't a 'star' player at the time (ever?). Wouldn't you think the players he was traded for had greater value than him?

Ranford went on to win the Conn Smythe, Stanley Cup (against Moog), and Canada Cup MVP in the next three years.

Geoff Courtnall went on to have seven 30+ goal seasons.

That trade is more like a dollar for $1.10.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
74 - Flyers acquired Reggie Leach from the Seals for Al MacAdam, Larry Wright & 1st (Ron Chipperfield)
79 - Rangers took Barry Beck from the Rockies for Pat Hickey, Mike McEwen & Lucien Deblois (three regular NHLers) + spare parts
83 - Habs nabbed Perry Turnbull from the Blues for Doug Wickenheiser, Gilbert Delorme & Greg Paslawski (HUGE win for Blues)

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Moog wasn't a 'star' player at the time (ever?). Wouldn't you think the players he was traded for had greater value than him?

At the time of the trade, Moog was considered a top flight goaltender blocked in the Oilers' net by Fuhr.

Bill Ranford was in the minors after essentially one season as a co-starter with Doug Keans, and was part of the damage in a first-round sweep to their rivals (I know, I know - the Canadiens are everyone's rivals.)

Courtnall was a 30-goal scorer, which was solid in the 1980s but not top line or anything.

And a second round pick is a second round pick (which turned into Petro Koivunen).

At the time of the trade, this trade qualifies for the thread. Player who can step in now, player on cusp of lineup, pick.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad