Three points for a regulation win

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Why wouldn't it make a difference in the standings? In close games, teams would be trying a lot harder to get the 3 points instead of only 1, or 2. If the playoffs are on the line overtime points are not going to be enough.

That's a very good hypothetical, for sure. I don't like the fact that some games are worth 2 and some 3, and I agree that teams would play differently to game the new system, but it's a risk I doubt the NHL would take. What if it pushes teams even further apart in the standings? In the end, they're about entertainment, and close playoff races contribute to that.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
How does parity make for more excitement?

You've got a handful of really good teams, a handful of really bad teams, and one big pack of teams that bag points and follow each other in the standings.

If you're really good you can wait for the playoffs. If you're really bad you can wait for the draft. If you're part of the pack you can check-in during the last 2 weeks and hope your team has a hot streak.

SIV

Mar 10, 2013
One could argue that it would add excitement for teams that are 10-15 points back, with a good 5 game winning streak in regulation they have an greater chance of making up points...

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Agree 100% - makes too much sense for the NHL to do it though.

These 3 point games make "league parity" look more real than it is.

Yes, pretty much. The suits at the NHL offices are probably shocked that NHL fans are actually realizing that it doesnt make sense.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
How does parity make for more excitement?

You've got a handful of really good teams, a handful of really bad teams, and one big pack of teams that bag points and follow each other in the standings.

If you're really good you can wait for the playoffs. If you're really bad you can wait for the draft. If you're part of the pack you can check-in during the last 2 weeks and hope your team has a hot streak.

Whether your team has the hot streak in October or March it doesn't matter.
The teams that you are classing as really good may have had their great play earlier in the season but eventually end up where they should be at the end of the season.
The reason that parity is good is that more games in the regular season have meaning which means more viewers.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
It's been tracked multiple years and no difference has been found in the teams that make it to the playoffs (I believe)

Pure coincidence. There's been some pretty significant differences in seeding based on all games having the same value against the some games worth 2, some worth 3 system in place now. Just a matter of time until that difference is between teams 7 and 10 in a conference. Seeding matters too.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
No way should the winner of the skills competition ( the Shootout ) get the same number of points for a win, as a team that wins playing actual hockey.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Pure coincidence. There's been some pretty significant differences in seeding based on all games having the same value against the some games worth 2, some worth 3 system in place now. Just a matter of time until that difference is between teams 7 and 10 in a conference. Seeding matters too.

It isn't a coincidence when the scenario plays out the same year after year.
I like the current system, no need to change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad