Three Headed Monster.

CarknerCountry

Jun 20, 2010
What happens when Anderson is healthy to play? Do you send down Lehner hes playing damn good or do you make a deal if your Murray?

Would hate to see Lehner go back to Bingo but i think Murray will do just that..

I think Lehner is ready to be a #1 as of now. I know some will laugh at that, but the mental part of his game seems awsome.

I would feel comfortable running with Lehner and Bish.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
You send Lehner back to Bingo until you figure out what your doing with Bishop.

Either way Lehner will be the back up next season and possibly sooner if Murray can find a trade by the end of the month.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
When Anderson is ready to return, Lehner will go back down to Binghamton. If one of them struggles, Lehner will return. If a good deal presents itself, Bishop will be traded, if not, no rush.

What is so hard to understand about this?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO Murray deals Bishop at the deadline depending on what the return is because the return could be more substancial at the deadline when GMs are a little more frantic rather than at the draft or summer. If he does that then Lehner is recalled to Ottawa & Bingo's chances of having another Calder Cup run are diminished. Lawson would have to then pick up the slack & do what Lehner did which would also increase his value for his next contract.

source

Jul 13, 2008
When Anderson is ready to return, Lehner will go back down to Binghamton. If one of them struggles, Lehner will return. If a good deal presents itself, Bishop will be traded, if not, no rush.

What if Lehner plays outstanding between now and Anderson's return? There are no laws against having 3 goalies on the same team at once.

QuattroFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa
IMO Murray deals Bishop at the deadline depending on what the return is because the return could be more substancial at the deadline when GMs are a little more frantic rather than at the draft or summer. If he does that then Lehner is recalled to Ottawa & Bingo's chances of having another Calder Cup run are diminished. Lawson would have to then pick up the slack & do what Lehner did which would also increase his value for his next contract.

Bingo. The trade deadline is when you're going to see the biggest return on players. There's going to be no shortage of playoff-bound teams looking to add a stable backup goalie in anticipation of a cup run. Take a look at teams in the mix to make the playoffs with weakness in nets. It'll probably be one of those teams that we trade with if at all.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Bingo. The trade deadline is when you're going to see the biggest return on players. There's going to be no shortage of playoff-bound teams looking to add a stable backup goalie in anticipation of a cup run. Take a look at teams in the mix to make the playoffs with weakness in nets. It'll probably be one of those teams that we trade with if at all.

There could also be a bottom feeder that is willing to give Bishop a trial run as their starter to close out the season. Like we did for Anderson.

Why insist on forcing Bishop on a contender at the trade deadline? There are probably other teams that see him as more valuable, and ultimately we want to get the highest return.

CarknerCountry

Jun 20, 2010
Why is it set in stone that Bishop is the one dealt.

What if a team gives an offer that the sens cant turn down for Andy or Lehner do you make the move?

otown

Sep 4, 2009
No guarantee it will be Bishop who gets traded. Could be Anderson if the return is right. The Sens are in a relatively good position as a result of the unfortunate circumstances this year. They have had a chance to showcase their young talent and other NHL teams are taking note. This just increases the chances of a good return when a trade eventually takes place. Murray will hold off until they make him an offer he can't refuse.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
There's nothing wrong with keeping three solid goalies in your system. That's been our problem for too long.

Anderson will be the starter. Bishop will be the backup. Lehner will play in Bingo until there's room for him, but no need to force an opening and hopefully we get a 4th prospect in Bingo that challenges Lehner to keep his game up before he comes up so there's no gaps.

Unfortunately you can't run 3 in the team easily because it makes practices awkward since you only have 2 nets

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
No guarantee it will be Bishop who gets traded. Could be Anderson if the return is right. The Sens are in a relatively good position as a result of the unfortunate circumstances this year. They have had a chance to showcase their young talent and other NHL teams are taking note. This just increases the chances of a good return when a trade eventually takes place. Murray will hold off until they make him an offer he can't refuse.

Anderson is going absolutely nowhere unless the return is a ridiculous, franchise-changing return. Why? Because his value to us as the calming ice general to our young team will not be seen by other GMs. The fact that Murray bristles at the mere mention of trading him (his "he could be our starter for the next 8-10 years) shows how much faith B-Murda has in him.

Bishop and Lehner have both been shaky at times. Anderson has been a rock for this team over his previous 100 starts and is a proven playoff goalie. The Sens are going to make a hard run next year for the Cup and Anderson is the goalie they will hedge their bets on.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
For a second there, I thought that the three headed monsters were, anderson, karlsson and spezza and what would happen if they were healthy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I think if the right deal is there for Bishop you trade him whether or not Anderson is back. Asset managment, he will not be a top 2 next year and losing him for nothing is completely redundant.

I wonder if a deal around Gonchar Bishop + for a good young forward is something this team can look into.

Would philly move couturier?

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Unless the youngish tough power forward or special D that Bryan Murray craves could be had for Bishop plus possibly something reasonable, I don't see the benefits of a trade. There's no advantage to trading a goalie for a pick or an older castoff. Right now Bryan is thinking playoffs and both Lehner and Bishop have strengths and weaknesses. After the season he could trade a goalie for a building block but today unless the trade helps the team for the playoffs and fits the future needs too why make it?

I can see Bryan hanging on to all 3 until summer or for one more year before making that decision.

Of course if some desperate GM............ :D

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
There's nothing wrong with keeping three solid goalies in your system. That's been our problem for too long.

Anderson will be the starter. Bishop will be the backup. Lehner will play in Bingo until there's room for him, but no need to force an opening and hopefully we get a 4th prospect in Bingo that challenges Lehner to keep his game up before he comes up so there's no gaps.

Unfortunately you can't run 3 in the team easily because it makes practices awkward since you only have 2 nets

Uh what?

This is so not true haha. I've been In plenty of team practices with 3 goalies.

Sensbrah

Apr 24, 2012
Trade Bishop.

Lehner is the goalie of the future, so to speak, with the better high-end potential. That necessitates holding onto. He is also on on par with Bishop in terms ability right now despite being several years his junior. There is very little to choose between the two - you could reasonably argue either is the better goalie.

What I also like about Lehner is that he can allow a weaker goal or two and turn it around nicely (see: last night vs. NYR... even vs. Boston the first goal wasn't exactly pretty although it took an unfortunate bounce). He might be mentally tougher than Bishop even as a rookie. Big Ben is a capable goalie... but when he has his rough nights where he is fighting the puck it always seems to snowball and you're in for 60 minutes of underwhelming netminding (see: vs. Tampa, vs. Toronto).

I feel Anderson stays our starter for the next ~5 years, however, effectively rendering the 'Bishop vs. Lehner for the future' conversations moot. But I still see no reason to opt for Bishop. Because he might be happier behind Andy as a #2? I see that as a dumb argument. You still want the better goalie to trade for a higher return down the road. If we then need to get a new backup to replace Lehner there are always a few available via trade or free agency. Maybe not as good as Lehner but I don't really care. As long as he is good enough to win us a few game in the regular season that is all that matters. When the real hockey arrives in April every team in this league lives and dies by its starter anyway.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Something will have to be done - before the beginning of the 14/15 season. Right now we have Anderson and Lehner (on a two way) signed until then and there is no doubt we will at least qualify Bishop and have his rights for at least one more season.

It might suck for him but if the right offer doesn't come in then Lehner might just have to prove that he can be a pro and dominate the A for another season. The Senators do not owe Lehner anything at this stage other than ensuring his development goes as well as it can (even that isn't owed to him, but it makes the best business sense for the org). He is 21 and while he looks good there are years of history suggesting that a goalie that age typically is not ready for the NHL.

Personally I want the team to keep Lehner over Bishop when the time comes because I think Lehner has the je ne sais quoi that champions have but I believe we should keep Anderson for as long as we can as well.

Look at a guy like Bernier or Schneider - they have been back-ups for many years and are still both young enough to have long careers as starters...I just don't see any reason to give up a goalie at this stage unless we get an offer that blows the doors out.

Lastly - remember when ****ing Cujo and Belfour were routinely leading the Leafs to play-off victories over our Senators? Remember that when the Leafs acquired them they were both thought to be near the end of their careers and deemed too old to bring much success? I sure do and right now Andy is several years away from being that old...he is in the prime of his career so he may well be our starter for many more years with Lehner slowly getting more and more games until it is time for him to claim the mantle.

I know it is exciting to think of what we can get for one of these guys but the flip side is how much worse off we could be without that depth.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

We have another one coming next yr in Dreidger ....

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
dreidger (and brassard) will need the same type of AHL seasoning lehner got.

we'll be fine with andy/lehner in the NHL and dreidger/lawson(or another ahl vet) in the ahl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad