Three Finalists for 2013 Memorial Cup

R S

Sep 18, 2006

KingJet*

Lethbridge probably, their Stacked, Kelowna I could see, Red Deer no.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Red Deer would be the best option imo. Not sure how good any of those teams will be but Red Deer has a good sized rink and I think would have the fan support to fill the rink for the tourney. Any way, can't wait to see which team gets it.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Gotta be Red Deer.

When was the last time that the mem cup was in Alberta? Has it ever been there?

Sure Saskatoon has hosted big events before, but you gotta think that a TON of Edmontonians and Calgarians will be in full force for that, especially since both NHL teams will be very likely not be in playoffs.

Dirty Bow

Oct 7, 2012
The Blades should decline hosting the memorial cup as they are showing that they are NOT a worthy host and will not only embarrass themselves but the WHL if they don't overhaul this years team! It will be hard for them to trade for blue chip players like Rielly and Murray, as they don't have anyone that those teams would be interested in. Siemans has been a bust since being drafted and the rest of the team is average at best!

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
How does this team compare to Shawinigan pre-deadline last year? I remember that team was questioned early on if they would be able to compete with the top teams and their D was pretty bad. They never had much confidence in goaltending either... Shawi had the assets to go get two of the best D in the country (Ellis and Gormley) and Narbonne also... It sounds like Saskatoon don't have the assets to pull off such deals? What's wrong with Siemens?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The Blades should decline hosting the memorial cup as they are showing that they are NOT a worthy host and will not only embarrass themselves but the WHL if they don't overhaul this years team! It will be hard for them to trade for blue chip players like Rielly and Murray, as they don't have anyone that those teams would be interested in. Siemans has been a bust since being drafted and the rest of the team is average at best!

Welcome aboard! Hope this is your first and last post ever!

How does this team compare to Shawinigan pre-deadline last year? I remember that team was questioned early on if they would be able to compete with the top teams and their D was pretty bad. They never had much confidence in goaltending either... Shawi had the assets to go get two of the best D in the country (Ellis and Gormley) and Narbonne also... It sounds like Saskatoon don't have the assets to pull off such deals? What's wrong with Siemens?

The Blades have a ton of picks to make potential moves. And Siemens has been inconsistent, but he has been like that ever since his draft year. He's showing signs of maturing recently, though.

Dirty Bow

Oct 7, 2012
Unfortunately the truth hurts! The Blades need some serious sharpening if they hope to represent the WHL in the Memorial Cup! The league must be having fits about the possibility of sending a last place team to the dance.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
I bet Saskatoon acquires at least one star defenseman from a bottom-feeder team (Ryan Murray, perhaps?), as well as an overage scoring forward. They have solid goaltending and good defense on paper, with a few additions they should be a top-tier team

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Dunno where to put this, so I'll just put it in here..:
KellyFriesen That's interesting. I'm hearing the CHL will let the Blades host as long as they make the playoffs.
http://twitter.com/KellyFriesen/status/262376160866992128

The only similar thing I can find is the 1988 Chicoutimi Saguenéens, who hosted the Memorial Cup that year but did not reach the QMJHL finals (there was a rule in place at the time in the Q that stated the host had to make the finals).
The two teams that did make the finals (Drummondville and Hull) were given the two Q berths instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad