Thrashers sale Law Firms

n00b1AnPr1nc355

Sep 23, 2008
Does anyone know which firms were working on the thrashers/winnipeg deal?

I would love to know if True north picked a local winnipeg firm or went with TO or NY? Same goes with the thrashers side.

Cooperalls

Oiler Fan!!!
Oct 5, 2010
I caught that they thanked 3 guys from Aikens if I recall correctly. Chipman went on to thank a couple others I didn't pick up on.

GSC2k2*

Does anyone know which firms were working on the thrashers/winnipeg deal?

I would love to know if True north picked a local winnipeg firm or went with TO or NY? Same goes with the thrashers side.
Since it was a cross-border transaction, you can rest assured that there would have been both Canadian counsel and US counsel fully involved in the transaction on behalf of both parties.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
Since it was a cross-border transaction, you can rest assured that there would have been both Canadian counsel and US counsel fully involved in the transaction on behalf of both parties.

Maybe I just didn't see it, but I was *shocked* that you didn't comment on the notion that the attorneys were billing time and a half on the holiday. It had been put forward a couple of times.

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
Maybe I just didn't see it, but I was *shocked* that you didn't comment on the notion that the attorneys were billing time and a half on the holiday. It had been put forward a couple of times.

In the US, you are held to the rate defined in retainer agreement, unless changes are agreed on.

crazed323

Mar 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Chipman thanked Brian Lerner at the beginning of the announcement. He is a lawyer at Aikins, MacAulay & Thorvaldson in Winnipeg. TNSE uses them quite extensively as counsel. An advertising campaign recently had them reveal they were counsel to TNSE during negotiation and construction of the MTS Centre.

A little about Brian

Partner, 1998 - present, Associate, 1989 - 1998. Practises corporate and commercial law, advising clients on mergers, acquisitions and divestitures of businesses, leveraged buy-outs, cross-border transactions, corporate finance and secured lending, corporate governance, commercial real estate and other general commercial matters

http://www.aikins.com/index.php/Our-Team/

Last edited:

GSC2k2*

Chipman thanked Brian Lerner at the beginning of the announcement. He is a lawyer at Aikins, MacAulay & Thorvaldson in Winnipeg. TNSE uses them quite extensively as counsel. An advertising campaign recently had them reveal they were counsel to TNSE during negotiation and construction of the MTS Centre.

A little about Brian

http://www.aikins.com/index.php/Our-Team/
He thanked Carm Peter first, for what that's worth.

crazed323

Mar 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Yea they are both very good lawyers and from Aikins. I have also heard the law firm was involved in selling the original Jets team.

Who was the other person he thanked from aikins?

GSC2k2*

Yea they are both very good lawyers and from Aikins. I have also heard the law firm was involved in selling the original Jets team.

Who was the other person he thanked from aikins?
Rob Lee, IIRC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->