GDT: Thrash @ Canes (minus Svech)

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Right now, I see two issues with Jesse and the 2nd one of them can be "newness" to Carolina.

1) He's not as strong on the puck as you'd expect. He's big, skates well and likes to be physical, but loses the puck more than you'd expect in a battles on the boards even against smaller guys and/or does't come away cleanly with the puck. Not sure if if it's just balance, lower body strength, hands or what.

2) He makes plays that are "simple" plays even when they aren't necessarily the right play. He'll be behind the net and throw it in front even if nobody is there or there's too many players from the other team there vs. holding onto it to make a play. He'll rush a pass or shot, even if it's not there or he can't get much on it, etc. This could be that he's still running on adrenaline or not comfortable in the Canes system yet though, but the game needs to "slow down" for him so he can make the right play based on how things have progressed. Confidence might play a role.

He does a lot of other things fairly well though. Skates well, works hard along the boards, uses his body, works hard and is responsible defensively and has found some soft spots to get some decent shots off.

KK started off slowly as well so hopefully he gains confidence over time.

As for number one, I have always thought that his skating stability was substantially reduced after his hip/knee surgeries. Comparing his gate before and after those surgeries looks substantially different to my non-trained eye.

As for number two, he plays just like the rest of our bottom six. I think that is either why we got him, or what he is being told to do. Look at Staal's line and it is a clinic in simple plays, putting the puck in front of the net regardless of whether or not some one is there, and taking the given shot even if waiting for another opportunity that is better may become available. Our top two lines don't play that way, but I don't think JP is being groomed, or was brought in, to play on those lines.

I’m not much of a sports historian, but I think the team that won the Cup in ‘06 also lost their top line power forward in March.

I think that 06 Cup team also made much more substantial moves at the deadline which lessened the the effect of the loss of that power forward.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As for number two, he plays just like the rest of our bottom six. I think that is either why we got him, or what he is being told to do. Look at Staal's line and it is a clinic in simple plays, putting the puck in front of the net regardless of whether or not some one is there, and taking the given shot even if waiting for another opportunity that is better may become available. Our top two lines don't play that way, but I don't think JP is being groomed, or was brought in, to play on those lines.
That's definitely part of it, but even with the "simple" plays, I see more control and much less chaos even with guys like Noesen, Stepan, Stasny, and even Fast, Martinook and Staal. Maybe it's because they've been together, but while those lines do keep it simple, they also look for guys or put the puck where they know guys are going to be. There's "some" method to the simple plays.

Like I said, it's partially because Jesse isn't used to the team/system, but he's much more chaotic right now than even our bottom 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinJaBen

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
What the f*** does Winnipeg have to do to get a penalty? Hooking, too many men, RIGHT IN THE SAME f***ING PLAY
Ah yes, I forgot the refs ALSO didn't call Winnipeg for too many men. The laundry list of non-calls last night against Winnipeg, and the officiating in general (see the non-whistle when Martinook was injured laying on the ice and so many players in a scrum while Winnipeg scored), was worse then even I remembered.

Last edited:

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
If Winnipeg still has a dressing room of bitchy drama queens maybe we can use that to our advantage to try and get PLD out of there, a guy notorious for professionally and not throwing a fit.
Can’t tell if you’re serious or not. PLD has attitude problems just like the rest of them.

Let him go be the habs problem.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Nino being the consummate pro is no surprise. However, those other two often have their names associated with some kind of pouty behavior.

Hate he scored on us but not in the same way as when a douche like Haula does...I'm happy for Nino, he was great for us, glad to see him doing well with his new team(s). Was kinda surprised Nashville traded him after giving a 2 year $4M/yr deal this summer (but I guess we kinda did the same with CDH years ago).

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Q: roster sizes are still limited or can be expanded post trade deadline?
There's the thing about limited amount of call-ups after the TDL though:

During the period following 3:00 p.m. New Yorkt ime of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the final day of the Regular Season, and continuing through and including the last day of the Regular Season, no Player may be Recalled from Loan to a club of any league affiliated with the NHL, except that:

(i) A Club may exercise four (4) regular Recalls from a club or clubs of any league affiliated with the NHL, of Player(s) listed on its own Reserve List.
(ii) Players may be Recalled under Article 13.12(m).
(iii) Players may be Recalled upon completion of the regular season and playoff schedule of the club to which they were Loaned.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Fun game. Super chippy. Probably the perfect game to get the Canes emotionally into it early and also have them come out with a really hard-fought morale-boosting win. They can grit out wins sans Svech.

I thought Kotkaniemi was awesome most of the night. He had a bad turnover in the offensive zone at one point. But all in all he was the best player on the Necas-Jesperi-Teuvo line.

As others have said, Puljujarvi skates hard but was making the wrong play half of the time. Aho can't really do much right now with his wingers. But Kotkaniemi is playing well that you don't want to mess it up.

Maybe the solution right now is to try Noesen on the top line and move Pulju or Jarvis down? Noesen is doing the little things right and his pass to Drury was sick. Noesen gone from the 4th makes the 4th line more of a low event line but they can hold their own defensively. I just think Noesen makes the goal-line plays much better than Puljujarvi right now, and also would be knocked down less than Jarvis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad