Thoughts on your teams 1st round pick(s)

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I thought the Ducks might try and hit a home run with Grimaldi at 30, and I was hoping for either Rocco, Saad, Jenner or Rackell. They ended up picking Rackell which is ok with me, except the Ducks have struggled with safe picks of late (L. McMillan, Mitera).

The Ducks hit the home runs last year with Fowler and Etem.

PensFan1253

May 22, 2009
East Liverpool, OH
Surprised you guys took a defender instead of a winger.

I personally wanted Connor Murphy or Zach Phillips, but considering one of the bigger things that hurt the Pens' PP in the postseason was no puck moving defenceman (And that happened because of the Goligoski trade), it can't hurt. Morrow will be stuffed in juniors for another 2 years anyway

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Montreal:
I dislike the Beaulieu pick but at the sametime nobody was a clearcut selection at that position. I would have rather see us trade down.

I don't think going for a defenseman in the 1st round was a priority especially without any 2nd round pick.

Now I just can only pray that he can proves me wrong ...

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Tyler Biggs: Fits the system's need for a power-forward. Has an outside chance of being a 2nd line guy, but if he can be a top-nine that's fine. I figured he would be gone, but they moved up to snag him.

Stuart Percy: I sort of figured they were going to select him - I had him pegged in the 30th spot. Thought they could have moved down to select him, but I don't think it was a stretch to take him there. He's a good asset moving forward.

I did want Puemple at 25 ideally - but Ottawa snagged him up (BTW I thought their opening round was awesome).

Both kids are huge Maple Leaf fans which is great to hear too. Maybe they'll work that much harder.

Corey Perry*

I feel like a kid who was told that he was going to Disneyland, but later on has to settle with toothbrush. I'm just dissapointed and sad, and I don't know why..... maybe it's because our first round pick is expected to tap out as a third liner...

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
I feel like a kid who was told that he was going to Disneyland, but later on has to settle with toothbrush. I'm just dissapointed and sad, and I don't know why..... maybe it's because our first round pick is expected to tap out as a third liner...

Which is not true at all. He has second line potential and can be a good two-way forward. I think you just don't like the fact that the Ducks didn't draft your favorite player available.. along with 29 other teams hmm.

Last edited:

The Perfect Human*

1) RNH - Need I say more?

2) Klefbom - a bit rough around the edges at the beginning of the season, but he's got all the physical tools and has made MAJOR progress throughout the year. To comment on him, I'm going to bring up a tweet from Dan Tencer:

dantencer Dan Tencer
ISS head scout Ross MacLean says that Klefbom is "steal of the draft". Says the Oilers could trade the rest of their picks and win the draft

AugustBurnsRed*

Really like the Scheifele pick for the Jets, love the Morrow pick for the Pens.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I'm thrilled my Coyotes used a first round pick on a slow footed stick figure with a broken back that has played in about a dozen games total since middle school. Oh yeah, good thing he's a D, too.

Ugh.
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=45417

USNTDP Juniors
2009-10: 2 games- 0 goals and 0 points
2010-11: 9 games- 3 goals and 4 points

U.S. National U17 Team
2009-10: 8 games- 1 goal and 1 point

U.S. National U18 Team
2010-11: 22 games- 6 goals and 10 points

USA U18
2010-11: 6 games- 3 goals and 4 points

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
In actuality, I think Brodin was a surprise pick but the more I read on him, the more I like him. Good skating, smart, intelligent player. The type you don't see too often on the scoreboard but the type that you win games with because they don't make mistakes and you can have them log a lot of minutes. I know it wasn't the sexy pick but I have a feeling he'll be talked about in a few years. He's also really, really young. 17 and is already logging minutes in the SEL? Can't complain.

When these types of players come from CHL or some USA program, it's usually safe to say that won't be anything special or at least a long project (definitely not worth to take hish high). SEL is a bit different though, and I'm not counting Brodin out that he could someday be effective NHL player.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thrilled with all 3 Ottawa picks. The team needed forwards in a bad way and it got 3 forwards that should all be good NHL players.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Very pleased with Armia. Short-term the Sabres are stacked at wing and desperately need a top-end center. Long-term, though, they needed dynamic offensive ability at any forward slot. This gives them that. High-end potential of being an all-star sniper with a fairly well-rounded game, low-end potential is probably a decent scorer but a floater.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Couldn't be happier with Larsson. He's the guy most of the Devils board wanted from the start

Too early for me to say "draft steal" but they certainly lucked out by getting a potentially elite player at an organizational need. They couldn't have capitalized more on their lottery victory.

Well our future as a whole still looks promising, but this move was definitely a head scratcher. We essentially gave up our high 2nd rounder to move up and grab a banger with less skill than others still on the board.

I would feel much better if Burke had used the move up to take Puempel, or just stay pat at 25 and draft Phillips. Burke is too high on goons, and its frustrating at times.

Oh well, all will be forgiven if he brings in that number one centre. And Habs got a solid pick in Beaulieu.

I completely admired how Burke was able to gain picks and assets through to the deadline, but I feel like he didn't do a great job with them yesterday. I know he likes "his type of guy" but at that spot they could have taken a risk to bring some dynamic offense to the club. I could see making this pick where they sat but trading up assets to take this sort of player makes very little sense from the outside looking in.

At the very least, Toronto and Buffalo are going to have some rough games in the future when our guys like Kassian, McNabb, and Foligno are going up against the team Burke is building. I'm definitely going to enjoy that.

Last edited:

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Wanted Biggs all year long. Really wanted Puempel at 25 though, ah well.

I hear good things about percy, extremely high IQ defender. As a leaf fan, I've learned first hand how important that is :laugh:

OilerOlli*

Pretty good. I wanted RNH the whole season, when he was seen as the 4th or 5th prospect at our Board. I got RNH :)
Klefbom at 19 was a guy I would had chosen to with the guys left. Hoped a bit for McNeill, bt Klefbom is very good, too.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Speechless for the Bruins, I am not sure in what sense though.

I had looked at a mock draft at around 6PM that had forwards clustered at the top. I thought for sure Larsson was a given at #2 things looked confused for me when he went at #4.

Nugent-Hopkins
Huberdeau
Landeskog

I thought for sure that would push Murphy to the Bruins. During the draft Larsson, Strome and Zibanejad followed, I asked myself Hamilton??? As to where was he?

That was weird for me and I still have an odd feeling.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I wanted J.T. Miller so I'm happy the Rangers went with him (they never seem to pick "my guy").

That said, I'm not happy at all that Larsson, Strome AND Couturier will all be joining the Atlantic Division. Just, man, damn, come on... :help:

With the Pens picking up Morrow, I think the Atlantic had an incredible draft.

Still amazed Larsson fell to 4. Did not expect him to slip past Colorado, but once he did I pretty much knew he was a Devil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->