Thoughts on the reveal

Thoughts?

• Total voters

dylanmacarthur

RonFrancis dēlenda est
Nov 8, 2013
Colors and logos are great. "Kraken" and "Release the Kraken" are really cheesy.

NHL expansion names are often terrible (Vegas is an exception). Predators and Thrashers are historically bad names.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
As a Canucks fan, I plan on bringing "nimby" signs to canuck/seattle games cuz I don't want no k****heads in maaa back yard.

Not a fan of the name at all. Find it childish. Was going to buy a jersey and hat if it had been any of sockeye/steelhead/totems/thunderbirds.

The name makes he hate them. Good for rivalry.

Colours/jersey/logo are all nice tho.

Reactions: Sam Pollock

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Colors and logos are great. "Kraken" and "Release the Kraken" are really cheesy.

NHL expansion names are often terrible (Vegas is an exception). Predators and Thrashers are historically bad names.
Oddly I thought Golden Knights was terrible, it has definitely grown on me.

I liked Kraken, for Seattle, Personally wouldn't have minded sockeyes. But that Secondary Logo looks pretty damn cool, Primary one isn't too bad. Color scheme isn't too bad either.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Kraken was not my first choice, but it's definitely not the worst either. I don't hate the color scheme but was really hoping for some form of green. Think the jerseys look great, and I absolutely love the secondary logo.

Sums it up perfectly for me.

I watched the live stream until almost lunch. Am glad it was more of an event beyond just revealing the name and unis, my excitement for the whole thing kept growing as we got to hear from Ron and the execs.
Feeling pretty confident in their ability to show us a good hockey time.

Reactions: StarterHart

Balmira

Aug 12, 2020
Personally I love the name, and I especially love the logo and jersey. I get that Kraken won't be for everyone, but I feel like the Mythological/Fantasy theme will help to draw in a younger fanbase. I believe it will draw in a lot more than just the Seattle crowd.

I'm a pretty new fan to the NHL, I've only been following it for about a year and a half, pretty rare to find Aussies who are interested in hockey. This team resonates with me though, they've marketed it perfectly and while it mightn't be as successful on the ice as Vegas straight away, I believe it will be more successful off the ice.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Personally I love the name, and I especially love the logo and jersey. I get that Kraken won't be for everyone, but I feel like the Mythological/Fantasy theme will help to draw in a younger fanbase. I believe it will draw in a lot more than just the Seattle crowd.

I'm a pretty new fan to the NHL, I've only been following it for about a year and a half, pretty rare to find Aussies who are interested in hockey. This team resonates with me though, they've marketed it perfectly and while it mightn't be as successful on the ice as Vegas straight away, I believe it will be more successful off the ice.
Very well said.

I think the marketing team has done a great job and I just feel that the logo fits very well in the Seattle area and demographic.

I have been a local since 2004 and this will be the first local team I will root for .. :) My opinion on a lot of Seattle sports fans is that they are loyal to a fault but also not very knowledgable about the sport in general. This team/sport is going to do great here.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I dunno if I love the name but it's growing on me. The logos are pretty sharp. Think the colour scheme misses the mark a bit, definitely would have incorporated some Emerald somehow.

King K Rool

Big Bad
Mar 5, 2020
Edmonton
Love the name (instantly made me a fan) and I can't wait for puck drop in Seattle. I'm glad Seattle is in the NHL and I know it's going to be a fantastic market.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I for one hate the name, but I do like the fact that they are trying to create their own identity. I do really like the look of the sweaters though and the color scheme. They look SHARP. Lots of cool thoughts for alternates as well. The logo is "just ok". I get it, but starting off by not liking the name doesn't exactly help the logo in my tiny college educated brain.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I gave you all the love in the survey for the name, jerseys, logos, and colors - and I put my money where my mouth is. Boston's regional sports network (NESN) has been running online contests for $25 gift certificates to '47. I've won a bunch of them, and along with a Chara-designed Bruins hat and a couple of Bruins t-shirts, I got two Kraken hats (one with each logo), since the logos are cool and I really like the idea Seattle having a team.

There's not much that's gone wrong with Seattle's reveal. I love logos with "hidden" (yeah, not always subtle) design features - like the Capitals or FedEx, so the Space Needle and tentacle really worked for me. And at least the color's not the generic Lightning/Leafs blue - it's a distinctive sea green-blue. And while the name may be a little silly - I doubt it would have been picked without the Clash of the Titans reference or the online petitioning - I love teams that listen to the fans. The Original Six are a little too stodgy - seeing the Golden Knights and Hurricanes let loose on Twitter is refreshing, and I think the Kraken are doing the same.

I'll admit - I'm not sure if I'll be wearing the hats to the Garden anytime soon when you come. But I'm happy to advertise the new team around town.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
kraken has nothing to do with the waters of the pacific ocean...kraken is from Norse mythology and the Scandanavian waters ...really silly name.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
kraken has nothing to do with the waters of the pacific ocean...kraken is from Norse mythology and the Scandanavian waters ...really silly name.

Of course. All sports teams names must be a literal representation of the area. Names based on regional ties to other parts of the world are not allowed. Just ask all the vikings from Minnesota.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
Of course. All sports teams names must be a literal representation of the area. Names based on regional ties to other parts of the world are not allowed. Just ask all the vikings from Minnesota.
Not disagreeing with your main point, but there’s some debatable archaeological evidence that Vikings traveled down the St. Lawrence Seaway and briefly settled as far inland as Minnesota. And if nothing else, it’s a nod to the deep Scandinavian roots throughout the state.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
Not disagreeing with your main point, but there’s some debatable archaeological evidence that Vikings traveled down the St. Lawrence Seaway and briefly settled as far inland as Minnesota. And if nothing else, it’s a nod to the deep Scandinavian roots throughout the state.

That's the part I was getting at, either through ignorance or assumption people use the "nothing to do with" argument, when in fact there are deep Scandinavian roots (particularly Norweigan) here as well. It's a ridiculous argument. If you don't like the name that's fine. It wasn't my first choice either. But why people feel the need to justify their opinions with nonsense is beyond me. You don't like it because you don't like it, and that's ok.

/end rant

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
That's the part I was getting at, either through ignorance or assumption people use the "nothing to do with" argument, when in fact there are deep Scandinavian roots (particularly Norweigan) here as well. It's a ridiculous argument. If you don't like the name that's fine. It wasn't my first choice either. But why people feel the need to justify their opinions with nonsense is beyond me. You don't like it because you don't like it, and that's ok.

/end rant
Ah, I hear you- thought you were equating the Minnesota Vikings to a team with a name that had no connection to the region whatsoever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad