Thoughts on the reveal

Thoughts?

• Total voters

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I don't necessarily like the colors, as I liked the green designs. But then I don't know if the logo would work on a green jersey. I do like how detailed the logo is.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I don't understand people's visceral hatred of the name kraken. What's the problem with it ?

Personally love the jersey, logo, colors, name. Especially the logo is really well done.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Probably my favourite expansion team name since the Preds. Choice choice. Excellent logo. Great jersey design with a nice ties in colour to the Mariners. Although I did like a green-based colour scheme more. Perhaps that would be an excellent third jersey one day.

Congrats Seattle. I think it's a great city for a new NHL team.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Jets fan here! Love the Kraken name, and logo. Jerseys are solid too. I like the look of the logo on the white jersey most. It really pops with dark outline and white background.

Secondary logo is simple and clever too.

Overall, a well executed and unique identity.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
Alright, I came out pretty negative when the news broke but I went for a run and chilled out. No more tantrum. I’m pretty meh about the name and colors, but feel like they did about as well as possible with the jerseys and logo given the name and colors they had to work with. I’ll miss cheering for blue and green in Vancouver, but man it’s good to be one step closer to seeing the NHL in Seattle.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I like their branding already. The video was well done.

I think the logo sort of belongs more in baseball realm, but I also appreciate how they are incorporating the past on it.

I think Kraken is a bold move. Good on them.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
I love it except I really feel the NHL needs more green-primary teams... thought this was the perfect chance to add to that number (Emerald City, Metropolitans history, monster name) feels like a missed opportunity... ah well... still better executed than some expansion franchise in League history. Also I have to figure the Nordiques are coming back in the next decade... and that was close to (obviously the teal doesn't exactly match powder blue) the color scheme I was hoping for from them.

All in all a good show:
Color Scheme: B-
Sweaters: B-
Logo: A
Name: B+

Riposte!

Jan 25, 2006
Seattle
The entirety of the visual branding, from the name, logo, and colors (but especially the name) screams minor league hockey team. Compare everything here with the timeless qualities of branding on teams like the Red Wings, Flyers, or Blues, and it feels very amateur. Team looks like it belong in the USHL or CHL. Disappointing.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I like their branding already. The video was well done.

I think the logo sort of belongs more in baseball realm, but I also appreciate how they are incorporating the past on it.

I think Kraken is a bold move. Good on them.
I agree with you. Hockey logos are prominent on the jersey so you can be more detailed in the design vs the decal on a football helmet.

I feel that if you name yourself after a creature that creature should feature prominently in the logo. This seems more in line with the Ducks logo of the webbed foot.

The logo seems more like a shoulder patch or secondary logo.

Colors are fine. I preferred a Metros double green mockup I saw but these colors are fine.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
Have you a link to the jersey images?
upload_2020-7-23_19-18-9.jpeg

Senator Blutarsky

I'll take the NHL for $2,000 Alex
Apr 18, 2007
Ottawa
Congrats! This team feels for real to me now.

The name may seem a little weird, but in a couple of years you won't think twice about it. Take it from some who cheers for the Senators, RedBlacks, 67s, Olympiques, and most recently Atlético Ottawa.

They nailed it with the anchor - would've made a great primary logo imo.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
Kraken was not my first choice, but it's definitely not the worst either. I don't hate the color scheme but was really hoping for some form of green. Think the jerseys look great, and I absolutely love the secondary logo.

Reactions: sigma six

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Why? The kraken in particular was a mysterious sea creature that was unseen. I just can't see how you'd do it without it looking cartoonish and silly.
I guess that part in parcel with choosing the team name. Kraken is the name of 1 creature, like Sasquatch or the Loch Ness Monster, shrouded in mystery, so I get where you are coming from with that notion.

Logos for animals can be more realistic or cartoonish. Really comes down to the design. Ravens/Eagles (head)/Seahawks of the NFL look semi-realistic, while the Falcons look more cartoonish.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I guess that part in parcel with choosing the team name. Kraken is the name of 1 creature, like Sasquatch or the Loch Ness Monster, shrouded in mystery, so I get where you are coming from with that notion.

Logos for animals can be more realistic or cartoonish. Really comes down to the design. Ravens/Eagles (head)/Seahawks of the NFL look semi-realistic, while the Falcons look more cartoonish.

Listened to Hockey Central @ Noon podcast. Brian Burke (who I'm not a huge fan of) commented that while he liked the name, felt it was hard to come up with a logo based on it, and what Seattle came up with is about as good as you're going to get. I disagree in that I like the logo, but yes - you can't just put a picture of a Kraken on your jersey. It just won't work well.

And how does the Seahawks logo look realistic? It's done in a first nations art style.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And how does the Seahawks logo look realistic? It's done in a first nations art style.
Being on the west coast, I've seen enough Native Art that I'm accustomed to it so it's not odd looking to me. Plus, you see it on the T-Birds logo as well, same as the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad