Thoughts on the prospects I've watched the most

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Thought I'd go through this again. 3rd time I've done this, every year I make a post about the prospects I see the most. Every guy on this list I've seen more than a few times.

Andrew Ladd - Calgary Hitmen (WHL)

I thought Ladd was an absolutely dominant performer every game I saw him in. While I still don't think he'll be as good as Getzlaf (this is a constant source of arguement between me and one of my buddies who I go see WHL games with), I think he'll be an absolute stud anyways. I don't know if I see the 'Shane Doan' stuff others see, but I do see a guy here who can bang home a lot of goals in the create. Like Getzlaf, he's always crashing the net it seems. Not my favorite prospect in the draft, but probobly the best of the guys I've seen the most.

Andy Rogers - Calgary Hitmen (WHL)

There really isn't a lot to say outside of the fact that Rogers is just frickin huge. He's fairly young for the draft, and I think that might play into the hands of some adept GM's who see more in him than I do. I still don't think Rogers will ever be a great NHLer because I don't like how he handles the puck (the guy cannot pass the puck I swear to god). Even still, teams can't like playing against him 'cause he's so frickin big.

Cameron Barker - Medicine Hat (WHL)

I only saw Barker play 3 times, so maybe I shouldn't include him here, but I will anyways. Of the games I saw, I was dissapointed with Barker. Don't get me wrong, he was good.. just I expected a bit more considering what I heard. To me, he looked exactly like Eric Brewer but not as good of a skater. I remember asking a fan in the arena what he thought of him, and she said that she thought Barker was the best defenseman she has seen in the WHL, and she had seen him play way more than I. Either way, he does get a lot of points and is pretty great on the power play. I thought he could have been better in his own zone, but like I said, maybe I didn't catch him on the right days.

Mark Fistric - Vancouver Giants (WHL)

Saw Fistric play a ton. Personally, I don't see it. Usually I love Giants players, and Fistric was very good some games, but very bad in just as many. He's ranked #19 by the CSS, but I have to believe that's almost soley because of his size (he is really, really big). I wouldn't think about taking him until the 3rd round.

Travis Zajac - Salmon Arm (BCHL)

What I saw of Zajac impressed me. The BCHL is a pretty entertaining game most of the time, and virtually all of the players never have even a hope of making the NHL level. Still, Zajac is the best BCHL'er I've seen play on his draft year (mind you, I haven't been watching BCHL hockey for that long, 3 and a half years). I think he's got amazing scoring potential, and wouldn't be susprised to see him move on to the CHL (who owns his rights?) next year and become one of the top players in the league.

Jeff Shultz - Calgary (WHL)

Unlike the other two big-men who I slagged on earlier, I think Shultz is great. He's just massive, but the man can really move the puck too. Looked a lot like Rathje to me. He's got a real good first pass too, which is usually not seen on guys as big as he is. I think he's a real sleeper. I'd take him with a high 2nd round pick without a second thought. Maybe even a late 1st if I was desperate for a defenseman.

Blake Comeau - Kelowna Rockets (WHL)

Get on the frickin' phone about this guy! He's really underrated! Every time I see him I think he gets better and better. He didn't score a lot this year, but trust me - he can score! I dunno where he got all his penalty minutes from (just looking at his state), though he does crash and bang I didn't see him play *that* physical. Still, I think he's really a slick player, and he's got more puck skills than people give him credit for. Another guy I'd take in the 2nd round out of the WHL.

Mike Green - Saksatoon (WHL)

I really, really liked Green from what I saw of him. Everyone talks about how fast he is, but I don't think he'll ever be a high scoring player because of it. Green uses his speed for the most part to carry the puck out of the zone efficiently, but also.. to hit! Green is an awesome hitter, and is just a mean son of a gun. In a way, he reminded me of Ed Jovanovski in the way he worked in the corners. He really gives it to guys. I think he's fantastic, and wouldn't hesitate to take him after pick #8 or so, if he was available.

Others, breifly: Only got to see Chipchura once, thought he was damn good. Always involved. Saw Roman Tesliuk twice and didn't even notice he was on the ice. Saw Zajac's linemate Kris Chucko who is also highly ranked. Good BCHL'er, but unlike Zajac, he doesn't have the same kind of raw skill. Saw Robbie Schremp play a couple times, thought he was the most skilled player of the draft I've seen (outside of Ovechkin). Saw Wolski once wasn't impressed a ton, kind of just floats around waiting to score. That said, when the puck hits his stick, man can he shoot the puck. I think he could work on his skating more too.
--------------

There are others I could have mentioned, but nothing else but those guys really impressed me I guess, or at least that I could remember. Most of the stuff I wrote here is plain off memory, so sorry for not going into detail like some have. Just thought I'd put this out there for the interest of a few who have asked for it ;)

leafaholix*

I've seen Blake Comeau play twice this year... didn't really pay much attention the first time but I did yesterday when he played against Guelph. The guys looks like he can be an absolute force once he puts on the weight and matures some... looking like a great skating powerforward with awesome vision.

He's jumped up on my list of hopeful draft picks for the Leafs... his stats don't seem to be doing him any justice.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I'm really a big fan of Mike Green, I like Barker, but I could see Green pulling a Phaneuf and jumping past Barker next year like Phaneuf did to Coburn this year.

I really like Chipchura too, I've been watching this kid play since midget, but I don't think his offense will ever be any better than Jarret Stoll's, not that that's bad, but I don't see the upside alot of other 1st rounders have offensively.

I wouldn't say Ladd is like Doan either, Ladd's more like a bigger Gary Roberts to me, except more prone to passing than shooting.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Mizral said:
Mark Fistric - Vancouver Giants (WHL)
Saw Fistric play a ton. Personally, I don't see it. Usually I love Giants players, and Fistric was very good some games, but very bad in just as many. He's ranked #19 by the CSS, but I have to believe that's almost soley because of his size (he is really, really big). I wouldn't think about taking him until the 3rd round.

Ill add this with Fistric: I see my fair share of Giants games, and at times, Fistric can be the best player on the ice, not just his team, the ice. However, the word ''can'' is the problem. His consistency...well, sucks. It's a shame Mark couldn't put it all together this year or he would have been a shoe-in 1st round pick. Theres still a lot to like about him, mainly his size (6'3'' 230 for those who dont know) and mean streak. I still expect him to get a good look from some of the teams picking in the later first round, but chances are Fistric will go 2nd round.

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
Mizral said:
Travis Zajac - Salmon Arm (BCHL)

What I saw of Zajac impressed me. The BCHL is a pretty entertaining game most of the time, and virtually all of the players never have even a hope of making the NHL level. Still, Zajac is the best BCHL'er I've seen play on his draft year (mind you, I haven't been watching BCHL hockey for that long, 3 and a half years). I think he's got amazing scoring potential, and wouldn't be susprised to see him move on to the CHL (who owns his rights?) next year and become one of the top players in the league.

Don't know who in the CHL owns his rights, but as of right now he's committed to the U of North Dakota, and as far as I know will be there come fall.

TopGun12

Dec 22, 2003
Zajac is going to North Dakota University next year, so he won't be playing in the CHL

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
I watched Cam Barker closely yesterday against Gatineau and I found he was calm and solid, but I don't know, I saw nothing that would make him the consensus #1 D-Man in the draft.. But that's just one game.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was talking with one scout who was saying that Mike Green's physical game is sorely overated because of his showing at the CHL top prospects weekend where he had some big hits. I've never seen him play outside the prospects game and if he played in the remax games (I got them on tape but forget if he played) But this scout said Green's actually considered soft. Anyone see him on a regular basis? I'd like to hear what others think that see him often. I'm at a loss with most of the WHL guys.

But this scout did say that he thinks Green is still highly skilled just not as physical as people are saying.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
speeds said:
Miz, would you consider Zajac as a late first rounder, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder???

Late first rounder all the way. If he dips to the 2nd, I can't say I would be very surprised (BCHL is a often scoffed-at league.. only about 5 teams take players regularly from there). However, if a team gets Zajac in the second round, I would consider it potentially the steal of the draft. I think he's every bit as good as most of the 1st round this year.

montreal said:
I was talking with one scout who was saying that Mike Green's physical game is sorely overated because of his showing at the CHL top prospects weekend where he had some big hits. I've never seen him play outside the prospects game and if he played in the remax games (I got them on tape but forget if he played) But this scout said Green's actually considered soft. Anyone see him on a regular basis? I'd like to hear what others think that see him often. I'm at a loss with most of the WHL guys.

But this scout did say that he thinks Green is still highly skilled just not as physical as people are saying.

From what I saw, he never stopped playing physical. However, I have seen this from players before - playing super physical in that game, then not in others in the season. Guys who see him over the course of a season would certainly know more than me.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Hey, how do you say Zajac's name? Is it like Pat Sajak with a "z"?

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
Mizral said:
Late first rounder all the way. If he dips to the 2nd, I can't say I would be very surprised (BCHL is a often scoffed-at league.. only about 5 teams take players regularly from there). However, if a team gets Zajac in the second round, I would consider it potentially the steal of the draft. I think he's every bit as good as most of the 1st round this year.

I had him in late in my 1st round, just wanted to see how out to lunch I might be. Time will tell, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad