Thoughts on the new clutch and grab rules in KHL?

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
After the first games of the season everyone has noticed the massive surge in penalties,my question is what do you guys think about it- is it good or is it bad for the league?

I personally wouldnt like it if almost all the games consisted of one team or another playing on PP,it breaks up the flow and pace of the game,plus encourages the players to avoid physical contact as that could lead to penalty.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I like it. There has been huge hits, no penalties, but hooks are taken away. They let them play, but not hook. If you like big hitters like Jere Karalahti, you like these rules..

I think so called "woman's hockey" is where big hits are given penalties. Soon players will get used to no-hooking and it's gonna be good, like in NHL. If your sticklift stays in the hands of opponent, you're getting penalty, deal with it and lift the stick right :)

LovroZG

Jan 12, 2014
Soon players will get used to no-hooking and it's gonna be good, like in NHL. If your sticklift stays in the hands of opponent, you're getting penalty, deal with it and lift the stick right :)

If only it was like that. I've seen penalties for literally a stick touching the oponnent for a second. There was no actuall interference or stopping the oponnent but it was still called. Really disliked it, too much PP, sometimes even more than half a match.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
If only it was like that. I've seen penalties for literally a stick touching the oponnent for a second. There was no actuall interference or stopping the oponnent but it was still called. Really disliked it, too much PP, sometimes even more than half a match.

Exactly. It looks like basketball.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Ive read about the work that goes into KHL refereeing (Paul Stewart) so I trust that this is just a statement to the players and they will soon learn, less penalties will be made in the future.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Ive read about the work that goes into KHL refereeing (Paul Stewart) so I trust that this is just a statement to the players and they will soon learn, less penalties will be made in the future.

Exactly, they've been more strict in Sweden since last season, and players learn it better after a few games

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
well, Malkin, there was a statement by the head of the ref organization that said that this criteria will be upheld from now on. But the problem is is the bed reffing connected with such basketball type rules. I mean in the game vs Slovan a couple of time Medvescak player got a faul for literally nothing. He gave the other player a bad look or smtn i guess. i mean even the Slovan fans started booing the refs for that decision.
Unless the refs really improve this will lead to utter chaos in penalties and criteria. not to mention this criteria wasnt upheld in certain "special" games. So where is the consistency ? and i think physical play will lessen because what happens if u touch (litteraly only touch by accident) a players leg during a check. That by this criteria is a foul and has been called in the games so far.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
This kind of rules just favor skill and athletism. If your teams coaching regarding summer isn't that good, you're in big trouble already before season specially, when the line is like in NHL or KHL. You need to have really strong footwork and you need to be really athletic in general.

Also, teams with more skilled players get more advantage, as it's easier to go for hooking against guys like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad