Thoughts on the Chicago Blackhawks?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Panarin for Saad is not the downgrade some like to believe it is. At worst its a lateral move that shores up some elements of the Blackhawks game while losing some raw production, particularly on the PP.

The other two are clear downgrades.
Having watched a lot of Hawks the last couple of years I think Panarin has been pretty key in bringing Kane around to his PPG+ status, they had really amazing chemistry. We'll see what happens, but I think they miss the playoffs with that trade in particular hurting them the most.

I understand all the trades they made but I don't think it'll help them on the ice this year or next

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Having watched a lot of Hawks the last couple of years I think Panarin has been pretty key in bringing Kane around to his PPG+ status, they had really amazing chemistry. We'll see what happens, but I think they miss the playoffs with that trade in particular hurting them the most.

I understand all the trades they made but I don't think it'll help them on the ice this year or next

I dont think the Blackhawks could afford a forward that needed 80% offensive zone starts after the loss of Hossa.

Kane and Panarin had excellent chemistry, no doubt, but Kane has been on pace for 85-90 points every season of his career except 2...one in 2012 when he was playing center, and then in 2016, when his ish% and osh% went through the roof.

And frankly, I think Panarin was far less impressive his second year than his first year. In his first year, he and Kane were both doing a ton to drive play and create chances. Last year, Panarin could usually be found floating around the circles waiting for a one-timer.

And while he certainly has a great one-timer, most nights that line was pretty much the 'patrick kane and friends' show.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
They didn't look right last year. From a neutral NHL fan's point of view. They seemed to age overnight. I wouldn't be surprised they have one last push this season. But if they do not. It may be time to retool, maybe even rebuild the roster. It's a young man's game it seems now in the NHL.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
their d blows and their forward depth isn't very good. Miss the playoffs

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I dont think the Blackhawks could afford a forward that needed 80% offensive zone starts after the loss of Hossa.

Kane and Panarin had excellent chemistry, no doubt, but Kane has been on pace for 85-90 points every season of his career except 2...one in 2012 when he was playing center, and then in 2016, when his ish% and osh% went through the roof.

And frankly, I think Panarin was far less impressive his second year than his first year. In his first year, he and Kane were both doing a ton to drive play and create chances. Last year, Panarin could usually be found floating around the circles waiting for a one-timer.

And while he certainly has a great one-timer, most nights that line was pretty much the 'patrick kane and friends' show.

Chicago can't afford a player with 2/3 of Panarin's production for 10.5M/year...

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
They're the Red Wings circa 2010-2011, entering a slow, inevitable decline.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Much like the Kings the Hawks' run is over. They have too much money tied up in players who don't perform at a level commensurate to their cap hit.

Probably the best team over the last 10 years, but other teams are going to rise to the top now with Edmonton leading the way.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I just don't understand the Seabrook contract. He's never been a true # 1 D. He's not a core player like Keith, Toews, Kane. What an albatrosse that is and will be.

He was a legit #1 for a short span, and close to top 10 in the league. Just as good as Keith, and they helped bring the best out of each other.

Since his peak, he's first been an alright #2, and now more like a #3 d-man. Maybe even closing on #4 level, so top 100ish in the world.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I just look at the lineup and think they're going to have a really tough time preventing goals unless Crawford has a ridiculous season.

They'll score fine, but they just lost sooo much of their defensive ability with Hjammer, Kruger and Hossa.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Kane and Toews are still young enough for them to be out of contention for a couple years. They need to hit on their picks, the cap to go up and to get lucky like the Pens did with the Kessel deal.

Keith may not be a Norris level guy anymore, but he seems like he'll be a D who can play at a #1 level for a long time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They're pretty bad beyond their top guys and most of their top guys have taken steps backwards. They're a team in a clear decline, I don't think they'll go the way of the Wings but I definitely see them missing the playoffs in the near future. They're not a serious cup contender anymore.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Having watched a lot of Hawks the last couple of years I think Panarin has been pretty key in bringing Kane around to his PPG+ status, they had really amazing chemistry.

No.

Kane was a PPG+ player long before Panarin joined.

I think people forget that Kane was on pace to win the art ross in 2014-15 before he got injured, Panarin wasn't around then, it was an aged/bought out Brad Richards and a given up on Kris Versteeg on his line.

Kane will be fine.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

2007 72 points
2008 70 points
2011 73 points in 73 games

More than a few seasons. He still should be good for 80 points. He Is Patrick Kane

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Isn't the next 2 years supposed to be great drafts? Bowman either adds a new stud or the team progresses back into contention.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You're right, they can't afford Toews to be a 55pt player. But it's a damn good thing he is 500x the defensive player Panarin is.

Kane can carry a line offensively given sheltered minutes. Give him talent, and he's in the Art Ross Race.

So I get the move to reacquire Saad. Toews can't be your matchup center and carry his line offensively. You're more dangerous with Saad/Toews and Kane on separate lines.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I think they are still borderline contenders but they are pushing slightly past their window. Kind of like the Sharks....except they still made the cup final 2 years ago.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I think they are still borderline contenders but they are pushing slightly past their window. Kind of like the Sharks....except they still made the cup final 2 years ago.

You make it sound like that's sooooo much more recent than the Blackhawks winning the cup the year before. :laugh:

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
You make it sound like that's sooooo much more recent than the Blackhawks winning the cup the year before. :laugh:

Wasn't my intention but yea, I feel they are still a very competitive team. Can't really count them out with Quenville either. Just don't think their window is as open as it was in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->