Thoughts on the Chicago Blackhawks?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Hawks have an incredibly overrated defense. I don't just mean blueline I mean overall. They lost their best defensive player overall and best defensive forward in Kruger. They lost a great 2-way forward in Hossa as well. Although Saad is a much better upgrade defensively from Panarin, but all in all they lose a lot of offense. Crawford is an excellent goalie, but he is already a poor goalie in regards to moving the puck and rebound control and with the Hawks current defense, that could mean trouble. Berube and Forsberg have done nothing in the NHL thus far and have only shown pessimistic outlooks.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Still legitimate cup contenders. Crawford should have a bounce back year.

Does he really need to ''bounce back''? It's not like he had a bad season. Save percentage was .918 (under .920 for the first time in 3 years), so a few points below .924 in back to back seasons in the two years prior. Even strength save percentage was still .930 on the season. I know NHL.com doesn't consider him a top 10 goalie (LOL) in the league, but he had a better than average season.

I don't really think they're cup contenders anymore, but they could surprise. I think they're still a playoff team and could win a round.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Borderline playoff team at this point imo. Honest question though, with the loss of Hammar and Kruger, how many lines can coach Q trust to start in the defensive zone next year?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Borderline playoff team at this point imo. Honest question though, with the loss of Hammar and Kruger, how many lines can coach Q trust to start in the defensive zone next year?

The Toews line and the 4th line (which will likely feature Tanner Kero and Tommy Wingels). Third line should be able to handle their own, but they won't be shutting down many opposing lines.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Toews line and the 4th line (which will likely feature Tanner Kero and Tommy Wingels). Third line should be able to handle their own, but they won't be shutting down many opposing lines.

If you're depending on Tommy Wingels to play in the defensive zone, you'll be spending a lot more time in the defensive zone.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton

So mostly the Toews line then.. As much as Toews is considered overrated, I do kind of understand why he struggles though since he has to take on so much defensive responsibility since the second line has to be sheltered so much

Last edited:

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Time and time and again Toews proves he can only play at a high level and lead the Hawks to some playoffs success if he has a stacked team from top to bottom. If he doesn't he can't do much damage in the playoffs 2011 and 2012 Hawks need to get rid of players like Buff Ladd Versteeg Campbell for cap reasons. Toews didn't do much in the playoffs and Hawks lose in 1st round both years Hawks started get some depth again with Saad Shaw Leddy Richards Vermette Oduya Toews perform great in the playoffs in 2014 and 2015. Hawks need to get rid of player for cap reason again Richards Sharp Saad and Toews doesn't perform at high level in the playoffs again in 2016 and 2017 and both times hawks lose in the 1st round again. To he fair Kane is like that as well but to a lesser extent. According to pattern there is some good news if the supporting casts developing into better players then there Is chance Hawks can win cups again. But looking at the Rosters doesn't seem that deep. Hawks will have no problems making the playoffs. Won't be surprised if they win a round or 2 but I don't see any cups unless they start to add more.

Toews has Saad and Sharp back. So Toews should get back to close to 70 points. So there no more excuses for Toews. Kane has no Panarin so his production might drop a little but Kane still should be good for 80 points.

Last edited:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
The Hawks are now a fringe playoff team. Their players outside of their top 6 are horrendous, except Keith and Crawford.

Lazy evaluation IMO. Several young guys made significant contributions (Hartman, Schmaltz), but they definitely will miss the guys they moved.

Hawks had to retool, and attempted to get value for guys they had zero chance of resigning in 2 years (Hjalmarsson & Panarin). If Seabrook doesn't bounce back, and guys like Forsling and Kempny aren't ready to step up, easy to see how the Hawks could miss the P/O's.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Forsling - skilled young D, oozes potential

Rutta - Pro in his prime, who knows? I know he doesn't even exist here though, lol

Kempny - Looked like he was really coming along last year, also in his prime

Kempny and Forsling already showed top 4 potential. Rutta, who knows, have to see him here first. The Hawks have the guys in place to have a great D, above average D, average D, below average D. It just all depends on how all of these guys progress. Everyone here assumes they will all FLOP. Sour grapes much?

I agree though, if all 4 of Forsling, Rutta, Kempny and Murphy completely flop, yeah, the Hawks' D will be below average, perhaps even terribad.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I almost spit out water on my computer laughing at the title.... In my head I originally thought it said " Thoughts on the Chicago Bulls" and thought this was a parody post about everyone starting a "thoughts on ........ team post".
It was disappointing finding out after it is just about the blackhawks. Oh well. Life goes on.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Could miss the playoffs. A weakened defense will hurt, and Crawford's numbers will suffer as well.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
So many people in this thread that know absolutely nothing about the Hawks commenting with all kinds of ridiculousness. :shakehead

This is an opinion thread, where people are allowed to share their thoughts as per the OP's topic lol. The beauty of these threads (while being entertaining during a long off season) is that it allows non fans to come in, share their thoughts, and have the team's fans come in and give their opinions as well.

It would be pretty boring if we were only allowed to hear homer comments because the rest of us ''know absolutely nothing about the Hawks".

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This is an opinion thread, where people are allowed to share their thoughts as per the OP's topic lol. The beauty of these threads (while being entertaining during a long off season) is that it allows non fans to come in, share their thoughts, and have the team's fans come in and give their opinions as well.

It would be pretty boring if we were only allowed to hear homer comments because the rest of us ''know absolutely nothing about the Hawks".

No, what's boring is a group think asinine opinion with no analysis behind it being parroted on a day to day basis, that's boring.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
No, what's boring is a group think asinine opinion with no analysis behind it being parroted on a day to day basis, that's boring.

How do you project the Hawks d pairings for the coming season? I know training camp will give you a much better read but right now who do you think they end up with?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
How do you project the Hawks d pairings for the coming season? I know training camp will give you a much better read but right now who do you think they end up with?

Keith-Murphy
Kempny-Seabrook
Forsling-Rutta
Franson

PP1
Keith-Seabrook

PP2
Forsling-Rutta

PK1
Keith-Murphy

PK2
Kempny-Rutta

Last edited:

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I still like them as a Cup contender if they stick to the youth infusion, namely Schmaltz and Hartman. Potentially Debrincat.

At very least they should still be a strong regular season team capable of 100pts.

(Lines from the Trade Rumors Board Lines Thread)

Brandon Saad Jonathan Toews Richard Pánik
Tomáš Jurčo Artem Anisimov Patrick Kane
Patrick Sharp Nick Schmaltz Ryan Hartman
Lance Bouma Tanner Kero Tommy Wingels

Duncan Keith Brent Seabrook
Michal Kempný Connor Murphy
Gustav Forsling Michal Rozsíval

Corey Crawford
Anton Forsberg

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
And yet here you are, reading it all and soaking it in :laugh:

Because it's still funny. It's gonna make it sweeter if they turn out to be really good because whether you guys post or not, I know you'll be grinding your teeth because you legit convinced yourself they suck....AGAIN. :laugh: Just let it play out, they might suck, I'll grant you that.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
according to Cap friendly, they only have 5 d-men signed...are play putting an AHLer or rookie in as the 6th defenseman?

I think the absence of Hossa is going to hurt them immensely....they're a playoff team but not top 2 in the division IMO

they get passed by St.Louis, Nashville and maybe Dallas (Minnesota will fight with Chicago IMO)

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Forsling - skilled young D, oozes potential

Rutta - Pro in his prime, who knows? I know he doesn't even exist here though, lol

Kempny - Looked like he was really coming along last year, also in his prime

Kempny and Forsling already showed top 4 potential. Rutta, who knows, have to see him here first. The Hawks have the guys in place to have a great D, above average D, average D, below average D. It just all depends on how all of these guys progress. Everyone here assumes they will all FLOP. Sour grapes much?

I agree though, if all 4 of Forsling, Rutta, Kempny and Murphy completely flop, yeah, the Hawks' D will be below average, perhaps even terribad.

Lost me at the bolded part. Neither of them have shown anything other than 5/6 potential at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad