Thoughts on the Chicago Blackhawks?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Said it before, but Chicago reminds me of the Penguins circa 2010-2015, when the Pens had 3 or 4 talented guys, but not much overall depth. Chicago's still got its core (Toews, Kane, Keith, Crawford), but no longer has the depth and complimentary pieces that helped it win 3 Cups.

Like the Pens from 2010-2015, Chicago's top end is talented enough to guarantee a playoff spot (barring injury). But also like those Pens teams, they likely don't have the depth to go deep in the playoffs.

This. The Hawks need some fresh (talented) legs. That's the 'shakeup' they need.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I think this is the year that the Hawks miss. Other then the Col all central teams should be as good or better then last year with both Dal and Win improving their goaltending which should push them into the playoffs. Hawks have no depth at forward and their D is just OK and slow. Plus team speed might be a bit better this year but they still will be one of the slowest teams in the division. While it is hard to bet against the Hawks I think they are a bubble team at best.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I've said this in other threads, but I'll repeat it here.

Hawks were a talented team last year. However, Nashville was able to skate circles around them in the playoffs. Preds would constantly have a dman skate the puck up ice, and still be able to quickly have two men back if needed. Quite simply, Hawks, as talented as they were, needed to get faster and Bowman has addressed that.

Murphy isn't nearly as good as Hammer at closing the gap or shot blocking, but he is faster than Hammer. He's also a righty, which will make for quicker and more accurate outlet passes than Hammer (lefty playing on the right) throwing a backhand pass up ice. Also, Murphy is young and will hopefully improve.

Saad is a faster player than Panarin. Panarin can skate through the neutral ice with ease, however he hardly ever needed to because he'd start the large majority (80%) of his shifts in the offensive zone. Saad is a beast at moving the puck up ice and against tougher opposition. Saad is a better even strength player for us, however we do lose an awful lot on the powerplay (where the big difference in points starts to occur).

Hawks may have lost Hossa, but did bring back Sharpie. Sharp is still a very good skater and will help with this teams speed. Some Stars fans have said his hands have gotten worse, so I don't expect he'll be the same player as he was two years ago, but he can still put up 30-40pts and be a veteran presence.

Hawks also signed Tommy Wingels. Wingels has struggled the last two years, but he's fast, playing for cheap, and is a Chicagoland native.

I also think the young kids from last year will take another step forward. Hartman and Schmaltz were great last season, but struggled playing their first playoff series. That won't be the case this season. I also expect good things from Forsling (21yo defensemen) who played nearly half the season last year and showed high skill in preseason. Hayden and Hinostroza could also be real hidden gems (like solid secondary scorers, not like 30goal guys).

What I'm trying to say is this team got faster. Being faster doesn't necessarily mean we're better (Avs are a fast team and look how good they are), but it's what this team was lacking in that series against the Preds. I'm okay with trying this route.

Lol, the main Chicago problem of the last two playoffs was they had only 1 scoring line... Alright, they had two scoring lines vs STL, and it was a very close series. But vs Nashville Kane, Panarin and Anisimov were neutralized, Hossa was tired, and Toews was just nothing. All other guys were young and couldn't do anything.

With Toews playing like a 3rd liner, they have no chances to achieve anything. And Saad won't help them at all.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Lol, the main Chicago problem of the last two playoffs was they had only 1 scoring line... Alright, they had two scoring lines vs STL, and it was a very close series. But vs Nashville Kane, Panarin and Anisimov were neutralized, Hossa was tired, and Toews was just nothing. All other guys were young and couldn't do anything.

With Toews playing like a 3rd liner, they have no chances to achieve anything. And Saad won't help them at all.

You don't watch the games like I do. All you do is watch a little bit of Panarin and you suddenly think you're an expert on the Hawks. And your love of Panarin and utter disdain for Toews is weird. Like, I know your Russian and all that jazz, but it's just the extreme level of emotions that you have for each of those players is ridiculous.

That's what I'm alluding to. How close is DeBrincat to joining the team?

Some think he has a chance this year. Most expect he'll get a few games as a callup, but won't be a regular until the 18-19 season.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I have to admire how much they make these shifty deals to stay afloat in the cap era. They are the kind of moves that could turn out to be brilliant.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
You don't watch the games like I do. All you do is watch a little bit of Panarin and you suddenly think you're an expert on the Hawks. And your love of Panarin and utter disdain for Toews is weird. Like, I know your Russian and all that jazz, but it's just the extreme level of emotions that you have for each of those players is ridiculous.

Some think he has a chance this year. Most expect he'll get a few games as a callup, but won't be a regular until the 18-19 season.

Man, trust me (you won't of course, but it doesn't matter), "utter disdain for Toews" will be the main trend on Chicago board in the coming season. And the team won't have the Kane - Panarin magic anymore...

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Man, trust me (you won't of course, but it doesn't matter), "utter disdain for Toews" will be the main trend on Chicago board in the coming season. And the team won't have the Kane - Panarin magic anymore...

Maybe you don't frequent HF Hawks enough to realize their was some level of disdain for Toews this past season. But it was because he wasn't playing up to his contract, NOT because he was playing like a third liner. His PPG was 0.85 which would get him 66pts if he played a full season last year. That's still first line caliber production.

Also, going back to a point you made earlier, the Hawks had 6 players who scored 20 or more goals. Hartman missed that mark by a single goal. So more than just one line contributed to our offense.

Super Edit: 6 Players had 20 goals. Not 7.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
So many people in this thread that know absolutely nothing about the Hawks commenting with all kinds of ridiculousness. :shakehead

Last edited:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Not a cup contender. Got worse this offseason losing Panarin for Saad and Hammer for Murphy. Seabrook is declining, lost Hossa, Panik probably won't be as good and i don't like their centre depth.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Maybe you don't frequent HF Hawks enough to realize their was some level of disdain for Toews this past season. But it was because he wasn't playing up to his contract, NOT because he was playing like a third liner. His PPG was 0.85 which would get him 66pts if he played a full season last year. That's still first line caliber production.

Also, going back to a point you made earlier, the Hawks had 6 players who scored 20 or more goals. Hartman missed that mark by a single goal. So more than just one line contributed to our offense.

Super Edit: 6 Players had 20 goals. Not 7.

I understand English good enough to see the difference between "some level of" and "utter", though.

3 out of those 6 were Kane, Panarin and Anisimov, who scored 87 goals out of 244 goals.

vshun

Sep 21, 2016
Think they will be wild card team

As Hawks fan, think this year they will be wild card team at best. The reason is not so much declining Seabrook or Hossa loss, though this will be felt, but loss of Darling. He was a strong goaltender willing to serve as a backup but his GAA and save percentage was one of the best in the league. In the close games Hawks had it mattered a lot and less decent backup would definitely mean loss in most of those games he started, which will deprive them of like 15 points.
Add to it improved and healthy Stars with Bishop (I think he is slightly better goalie that Crawford when healthy) take the top seed, and Preds and Blues taking the other 2 seeds, and you have Wild, Jets and Hawks competing for wild card spot along with some Western conference teams. Even if, and its a big if, they make playoffs, probable first or at best second round exit is likely.
Still will watch and cheer for them but do not expect much in terms of results this year and steady decline after.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I understand English good enough to see the difference between "some level of" and "utter", though.

3 out of those 6 were Kane, Panarin and Anisimov, who scored 87 goals out of 244 goals.

87 divided by 244 is just over a third. Which, while significant, easily proves the Hawks had more than just that line to create offense; proving your one line team theory as false.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
their days as cup contenders are over

some of you mention the core players, keith is old and toews has regressed so that isn't much to bank on

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
They could miss for no other reason than the Central is crazy deep. 6 of the 7 teams are legitimately good.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
They could miss for no other reason than the Central is crazy deep. 6 of the 7 teams are legitimately good.

This is true. While I think the Hawks make it, the Central is crazy tough (which is funny considering it has only 7 teams). 5 Central teams could make it in, but odds are likely it'll only be 4. And if that's the case, then somethings gotta give (I'm just crossing my fingers it's not the Hawks).

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Robbie-Rotten-lazytown-39910079-500-281.png

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Between bad trades they felt forced into for cap reasons, and losing Hossa to skin issues, it was a really terrible offseason for them. Their top end talent is still great, but their depth beyond their top few forwards and top 2 d took huge hits.

I think they'll likely still be a playoff team, but without home ice advantage. Missing the playoffs entirely is possible though, especially if Toews doesn't rebound - the west is strong, making the playoffs won't be easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad