Thoughts on the Chicago Blackhawks?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Ok...you're right. The AHL and the CHL must have changed their agreement. Used to be that you had to be 20 to play in the AHL per the agreement...it was put in place to help keep the CHL solvent and keep the marquee players in their league unless in the NHL. Helped keep the teams from being pillaged and plundered of it's NHL draft picks by the NHL teams who then would assign them to the AHL.

We've been talking about him on the Hawks board on and off all summer. Personally, I think they have plans for him to make the team so long as he can compete physically. I think they're banking on his offensive capability to ease the pain of losing Panarin on that front. We'll have to see, but I think he may stick on the Hawks. He may bounce back and forth a little bit, depending on his play, if he looks shaky at all, etc. But I think he definitely gets in a good chunk of games with the big club. Hopefully his play in Erie translates well.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If you like young talent, watch Blackhawks games. My thoughts are a lot better than they were a couple weeks ago. These guys really put the work in and I hope guys like Sharp, Anisimov and Panik did too because right now, that's looking like it could be the 3rd line. Would that be considered a "good" 3rd line? :laugh:

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
If you like young talent, watch Blackhawks games. My thoughts are a lot better than they were a couple weeks ago. These guys really put the work in and I hope guys like Sharp, Anisimov and Panik did too because right now, that's looking like it could be the 3rd line. Would that be considered a "good" 3rd line? :laugh:

:laugh: Nice

I'm going on a 6 week no contact with the outside world adventure so i'll check them out in early November when i get back.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
:laugh: Nice

I'm going on a 6 week no contact with the outside world adventure so i'll check them out in early November when i get back.

That's awesome dude, you gonna just DVR the season and catch up? That'd be fun in itself. What are you doing for your journey if you don't mind sharing. You can PM instead if need be. Have fun though, sounds pretty cool.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Quenneville is out if they don't get to the second round.

Agreed. He is supposedly adapting to the new NHL and is willing to involve the D on the rush and be aggressive with speed. We'll see, but that is what Bowman wants. And he's already lined up numerous worthy successors within the organization, whether Q goes now or in 3-4 years.

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
That's awesome dude, you gonna just DVR the season and catch up? That'd be fun in itself. What are you doing for your journey if you don't mind sharing. You can PM instead if need be. Have fun though, sounds pretty cool.

We're heading up the Prophet River with hopefully enough time left to build a small cabin before we get chased out by snow. Were supposed to go 2 weeks ago but life got in the way.
I've been looking forward to this for 6 months and preparing nearly as long.
Now watch me forget my pillow.:laugh:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Quenneville is out if they don't get to the second round.

Yep. We have Ulf and Dineen who can move from assistant to head if need be. Also got Jeremy Colliton who is super young (early 30s) but is being touted as a great future hockey mind who'll be with Rockford this year.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Don't sleep on the Hawks. They don't have a young star but that does not mean that they don't have young talent.

This is what it is looking like for the lineup as of now:

Saad-Toews-Panik
(DeBrincat)-Schmaltz-Kane
Sharp-Anisimov-Hartman
????-Kero-????(Hayden)
????
Buoma, Jurco, Wingels, Tootoo are competing for those three open spots with John Hayden who has been super impressive and Laurent Dauphin along with a trio of great skaters in Vinnie Hinostroza, David Kampf and Alexandre Fortin. If Hayden and DeBrincat don't begin year in one of those spots they will be before too long.

Keith-Murphy
Kempny-Seabrook
Forsling-Franson
Rutta

Pokka and Gustafsson also competing. Forsling may not be ready yet. Rutta has looked solid so far and they may slide one of him or Franson over if Forsling needs more time in minors. A lot rides on the play of Murphy and Seabrook. I think they will be fine, but I can understand the doubts others may have. Everyone knows Seabrook's contract is awful but most seem to treat him as if he is the boat anchor he figures to be at the end of the deal already but he still has some game left in him. I'm a bigger Hjalmarsson fan than just about anyone, but he was not himself last year, especially in the second half. The toll of blocking so many shots may be playing out and keeping him on his off side as a partner with Keith would have been a risk moving forward.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
What was the logic for trading Panarin

The Hawks despite the fact finishing 2nd in the league last season were really a one dimensional team, that lacked depth and sandpaper.... I mean over the last couple of seasons the Hawks were really a one line team... Saad can do it all and with Panarin lacking Kane threading him passes, I would expect that Saad and Panarin put up similar numbers..... I think the loss of the extra 20 points Panarin provided is worth the complete game Saad brings..... Also, the Blackhawks are very familiar with Saad, and the chemistry he has with Toews is excellent...

Also, the Hawks got Forsberg in the deal too... They needed an adequate backup after losing Darling that has starting potential...

Also Saad is signed long term at 6 per... Panarin only has another year left at 6 per and you can bet he's gonna want 8 per on his next deal..

Is Panarin the more offensively gifted player? absolutely but Saad is the more complete player..

Also, I wouldn't be shocked if Bowman signs Panarin when he's a UFA..... That would be hilarious actually...

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If we're talking about all around game then yes. Bread man was just horrific in that regard this past season. I still think that Panarin has more to contribute offensively though and I expect his weak Defense to be masked a bit playing with the Jackets D-core and Bob as his goalie.

Why wouldn't we be talking about all around game?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sadly decided to bump this

Its pretty clear Hawks are shadow of what they once were and are saddled with several awful contracts for fading vets (Toews and Seabrook) while other stars are either slowing down (Keith) or having off year (Kane and Saad)

Several of the young players haven't met expectations such as Schmaltz and Hartman (Who especially looks poor most nights)

Team at this point has only a couple bright spots with two kids (Debrincat and Forsling) and Crawford only positives to team at this point

It looks like playoffs will be struggle this year and the Hawks are not in situation to turn things around quickly with an aging core and salary cap situation hampered by several big contracts for declining talent such as Toews and Seabrook

Also the loss of talent in recent years such as Panarin , TT , Danault and Shaw is finally catching up with team

Last edited:

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
They stink, won’t make the playoffs Bett man will Gift then Dahl in and he will be the next Stefan/Yakupov Hahahahahaha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->