Thoughts on the Can-Swe Exhibition Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Just a few thoughts I gathered from the game...

For a team that is very big and seems to be chosen for that purpose and to supposedly intimidate the opposition, that was an extremely weak effort by Canada physically. That was probably one of the least physical games I've ever seen a Canadian WJC team play before. I'm not necessarily saying this is a bad thing or whether it could be a good thing. I'm just stating I was a bit suprised that this team just wasn't very physical out there at all.

The offense seemed totally out of whack, although maybe thats due to the fact that the lines haven't developed much chemistry yet (although it's not exactly like they have much time). Most of the scoring chances were just off lose pucks infront of the net and broken plays that happened to bounce our way. The offensive lines just didn't seem to be clicking very well, it was kind of ugly.

A few player thoughts...

Brent Burns was Canada's best player IMO. He was all over the ice, was one of Canada's only physical players and the time he spent in the NHL seems to have really elevated his game.

The only line for Canada that actually did show a bit of chemistry was the Richards, Dawes and Stewart line which was solid.

Josh Gorges and Derek Meech were brutal today. Lots of giveaways, failures to clear the zone and neither of them could stay on their feet, and seemed to be outmuscled by the Swedish forwards.

Kevin Kleinn was Canada's best defenseman IMO. He was physical and he played a solid game overall.

The Swedish netminder Lundstrom was very solid today. He didn't really make any "flashy" saves but he made the necessary ones. Something that didn't happen last year for Sweden.

Henrik Bloomqvist was very good for Sweden, their top defenseman IMO.

Alexander Steen and Loui Eriksson were Sweden's offense essentially. Both showed why they were top picks in their respective entry drafts. Aside from one nice rush, Robert Nilsson didn't really impress me at all.

Salomonsson (spelling?), who's available for 2004 draft, was very impressive IMO. He seems like a very good all around forward, strong on the puck, got good speed. I think he could be a first rounder this year for sure.

Aside from that, I was pretty unimpressed by Canada's performance today. But hey it's only an exhibition game, the first one. Hopefully everything can be ironed out.

I'm sure others have comments....

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Brock said:

For a team that is very big and seems to be chosen for that purpose and to supposedly intimidate the opposition, that was an extremely weak effort by Canada physically. That was probably one of the least physical games I've ever seen a Canadian WJC team play before. I'm not necessarily saying this is a bad thing or whether it could be a good thing. I'm just stating I was a bit suprised that this team just wasn't very physical out there at all.

The offense seemed totally out of whack, although maybe thats due to the fact that the lines haven't developed much chemistry yet (although it's not exactly like they have much time). Most of the scoring chances were just off lose pucks infront of the net and broken plays that happened to bounce our way. The offensive lines just didn't seem to be clicking very well, it was kind of ugly.

A few player thoughts...

Brent Burns was Canada's best player IMO. He was all over the ice, was one of Canada's only physical players and the time he spent in the NHL seems to have really elevated his game.

The only line for Canada that actually did show a bit of chemistry was the Richards, Dawes and Stewart line which was solid.

Josh Gorges and Derek Meech were brutal today. Lots of giveaways, failures to clear the zone and neither of them could stay on their feet, and seemed to be outmuscled by the Swedish forwards.

Kevin Kleinn was Canada's best defenseman IMO. He was physical and he played a solid game overall.

The Swedish netminder Lundstrom was very solid today. He didn't really make any "flashy" saves but he made the necessary ones. Something that didn't happen last year for Sweden.

Alexander Steen and Loui Eriksson were Sweden's offense essentially. Both showed why they were top picks in their respective entry drafts. Aside from one nice rush, Robert Nilsson didn't really impress me at all.

Salomonsson (spelling?), who's available for 2004 draft, was very impressive IMO. He seems like a very good all around forward, strong on the puck, got good speed. I think he could be a first rounder this year for sure.

Aside from that, I was pretty unimpressed by Canada's performance today. But hey it's only an exhibition game, the first one. Hopefully everything can be ironed out.

What were the lines and how much icetime/scoring chances did they get? In partticular Crosby, Tambellini and Paille. Did they play together?

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Brock said:

A few player thoughts...

Some years ago, Team Canada was beaten 7-1 by a team in an exhibition game. In the real tourney, this same country were not really good.... (Or Canada beat them easily)....

In the first game between team OHL et Team select Russia, it's was the poorest performance by the russians in 6 games....

I think it's because of the trip... You need time to adjust to another clock......

Nicolas

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
SpezNc said:
Some years ago, Team Canada was beaten 7-1 by a team in an exhibition game. In the real tourney, this same country were not really good.... (Or Canada beat them easily)....

In the first game between team OHL et Team select Russia, it's was the poorest performance by the russians in 6 games....

I think it's because of the trip... You need time to adjust to another clock......

Nicolas

Were they that flat? 41 shots sounds like a good amount of offence; but only fair at finishing... but I didn't see the game.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
leafssuck said:
Anyone else a little pissed when the Swedish guy was choking Crosby and the ref just let it go?

No, I enjoyed it. It was Pierre Johnsson, a Flames prospect. :yo:

I do have to say though that the Canadians better start sticking up for their teammates. No one went after Johnsson there and no one went after that guy who just totally bowled over Fleury late in the third.

dragonwyck

Any thoughts on Shawn Belle. I see he scored the 1st goal, but I'm more interested in knowing how his defensive game is progressing.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
The Stewart line was great, and I was VERY impressed with Crosby (I'd never really seen him before).

The Swedish goalie had excellent vision. He was very good at stopping pucks that were comming through traffic, and he allways seemed to know where all of the Canadian players were and was able to predict when a they were trying to create scoring chances using Passing.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Sidney showed that he is going to be a factor in this tournament. IMO he will do better than what some think, I think by the end you will see him on the top line.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
dragonwyck said:
Any thoughts on Shawn Belle. I see he scored the 1st goal, but I'm more interested in knowing how his defensive game is progressing.

I actually thought Shawn Belle was Canada's second best defenseman. He used his speed to his advantage at both ends of the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad