Thoughts on the Calgary Flames?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Good team, they never seem to go away in a season and never a team that will lay down and die. Even last season when they got out a horrendous start, they still battled back slowly for the rest of the year to make the playoffs. In past years to, they get in a funk that would sink 95% of other teams, but still manage to land on their feet

Forward core is good but top heavy. Got a bunch of young players so that core will continue to grow. The D core is very solid and if utilized right could be top 5 in the league. They got a well built skater roster and could be a contender, the only holding them back is goaltending. So as an Oiler fan I have to say thank god they got Smith ahead of the several other much better options available this past summer. Goaltending appears to be the issue that will hold them back for another year or 2. Watching to see if Parsons will be the light at the end of the tunnel in 2/3 years. But if they somehow get good goaltending for this current roster, could be serious noise

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Maybe it's because McDavid averaged over 21:00 TOI last season and no forward on Calgary needed to average 20 to make the playoffs.

Any team that had a player as good as McDavid would play him 21 minutes a game. He's the best offensive player in the NHL. Calgary didn't play a guy that much because they don't have anyone good enough to play that much.

You boasting about McDavid's ice time (and Draisaitl's) only makes the fact that our depth players outscored yours even more impressive, due to the fact that it means they played less :laugh:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
They are a good team. Treliving has built a solid foundation.

Their actual defenseman are very good.

They have a pretty good group of forwards but not a lot of game breaking ability. Right wing is a bit weak. I think Bennett not meeting expectations thus far, is a bit of a blow for this team. But its not too late. With Monahan, Backlund, Bennett, Stajan/Jankowski their center depth has potential. But if Bennett doesnt turn into a key player, than their center depth becomes much weaker.

I think one of the issues with the team is that their actual defense is good but I think their team defense is lacking. This comes down to coaching and forwards helping out. I dont particularly like GG, I dont think he is/was a good hire.

Smith is a wildcard in net. If he has a bad year, the Flames could be a bubble team. If he has a stellar season, I think they have the ability to push for #1 in pacific.

But I think they end up finishing #3 in pacific.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
D is good but overrated. F is good but lacks a true elite talent. Goaltending is below average and was downgraded from last year.

Overall they are a bubble team maybe with an inside track at a spot if someone in the pacific struggles or competition in the Central hurts everyone there and opens a wildcard spot. Anything can happen in the playoffs if you get in but their chances of winning more than 1 series is remote.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I think it's because some of the Flames depth players(like Ferland, Bennett, Tkachuk) still have room to grow, while guys like Jokinen, Maroon, Lucic and Letestu aren't going to get much better and are likely on the down trend.

Ferland? Sorry but I don't ever see him being a big point producer. Bennett still has alot of question marks about him as well. Maroon and Lucic are still under 30, we're not talking talking about over the hill players here. And if you're gonna include Bennett and Ferland, then you need to consider Oiler players like Caggiula, Pulju, Slepy, and Strome.

Maybe it's because McDavid averaged over 21:00 TOI last season and no forward on Calgary needed to average 20 to make the playoffs.

So because McDavid averaged ~ 2-3 minutes more than any Flame, that means the Oilers have less depth? That makes no sense. Any team that has a player of McDavid's calibre would have him out there just as much but that still has no bearing on the depth of the team.

Points don't tell us anything. They don't tell us that Maroon played on your top line most of the year, or that Lucic and Letestu played on your top PP unit most of the year. They don't tell us that Versteeg missed 14 games last year. They don't tell us that a forward may not get a secondary assist on a team with a more offensive blue line.

And players like Ferland didn't get top line minutes or play on the top PP? Bennett never got any minutes with Gaudreau at all? Whatever points you just made here about the Oilers can apply the same to the Flames too. And shouldn't a team that boasts more offensive defensemen have the advantage of being able to produce more points for their forwards? Yes they may take more secondary assists away, but in the end, they should help create more offence and points for their forwards. Having good offensive dmen on your team should be an advantage, not a disadvantage when you're talking points.

Here's what we know:

Goals Draisaitl and McDavid both got a point on: 42
Goals McDavid got a point on without Draisaitl getting a point: 58
Goals Draisaitl got a point on without McDavid getting a point: 35

So that's a total of 135 goals created by your top two. Oilers scored 247 goals. That means without your big two getting a point, you scored 112 goals.

Goals Gaudeau and Monahan both got a point on: 35
Goals Gaudreau got a point on without Monahan getting a point: 26
Goals Monahan got a point on without Gaudreau getting a point: 23

That's 84 goals created by our top two. Flames scored 226 goals. That means without our big two getting a point, we scored 142 goals. That's 30 more goals than the Oilers.

All of this doesn't really prove anything to me about depth. Considering that McDavid and Drai average more ice time than Gaudreau and Monahan, then it should mean that the rest of the Oilers get less ice time than the depth players of Calgary. So with the extra ice time, Flame depth players should get more points than Oiler depth players. Plus with McDavid and Draisaitl scoring so much more than Gaudreau and Monahan, realistically, the Oilers don't depend on the rest of their team depth to score as much. Teams tend to play more defensive when they have a lead which can affect how many points the depth players get.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just for fun; because these Flames threads always get a good laugh from the Flames board:
From the first three pages:

9 Flames fans saying something positive about the team.
18 Neutral fans saying something positive about the team.
2 Oiler fans saying something borderline positive about the team.
12 Oiler fans saying something negative about the team.
4 Neutral, mostly Leaf, fans saying something negative about the team.
A bunch of random posts, or double posts saying the same thing (and not counted twice).

On a Flames related thread, there are more Oiler fans getting their hands dirty than Calgary :laugh:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Just for fun; because these Flames threads always get a good laugh from the Flames board:

A bunch of random posts, or double posts saying the same thing (and not counted twice).

On a Flames related thread, there are more Oiler fans getting their hands dirty than Calgary :laugh:

I think its likely due to their being far more Oilers fans than Flames fans. Especially on HFboards.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Great offense from the backend, but only OK D.

Solid but not spectacular top 9.

Mediocre between the pipes.

Overall, a team with a lot of average with one area where they are good (scoring D). Adds up to a low end playoff team. Of course, any team can have a young guy or two step up and change everything. Fun thing in a high parity league.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Lmao, I see 2 Oiler fans on the last page alone saying something positive. Ive seen other numerous ones discussing positive things. But there is also legitimate negative critiques. I mean this is a discussion on the Flames. The team (like any NHL team) has flaws. Until a team goes 82-0 then they have flaws [mod]

Most other Flames fans are on the other sess pool of a website where you will be free of any negative critisicms of the team

Last edited by a moderator:

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Even if Smith plays well, theyll need everything else going for them to keep up with Edmonton and Anaheim. Decent goaltending isnt the only thing keeping Calgary in a tier below those teams.

Everything else to go right? A tier below?

The Oilers finished with three (3) more wins than the Flames last year, and that was with an abysmal start to the season.

I would expect the two teams to be neck and neck throughout the year. It's not like the Oilers upgraded anything significantly this off season to justify the "not in the same tier" comment. They are both up and coming teams.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The Oilers finished with three (3) more wins than the Flames last year, and that was with an abysmal start to the season.

And that right there, was basically the season series between the two teams, which Oilers fans think they have on lockdown next year because:

- They caught the Flames with a new coach and a new system with basically no training camp for Monahan/Gaudreau/Backlund in games 1 and 2 of the season
- The Flames had 5.25 million reasons to force Dennis Wideman as a top 4 defenseman
- The Flames thought Nik Grossmann is an NHL defenseman (Game 1)
- The refs called some atrocious penalties in Edmonton's favor (All of them, basically, but especially game 2)
- Talbot went full god mode in a game (Game 2)
- They won a shootout (Game 3)
- Chad Johnson was a complete and total sieve in a game (Game 4) while Calgary was also on a teamwide slump

I'm sure all of the above are repeatable next season. Otherwise you've got the Oilers losing a 7 point head-to-head swing over Calgary.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
And that right there, was basically the season series between the two teams, which Oilers fans think they have on lockdown next year because:

- They caught the Flames with a new coach and a new system with basically no training camp for Monahan/Gaudreau/Backlund in games 1 and 2 of the season
- The Flames had 5.25 million reasons to force Dennis Wideman as a top 4 defenseman
- The refs called some atrocious penalties in Edmonton's favor (All of them, basically, but especially game 2)
- Chad Johnson was a complete and total sieve in a game (Game 4) while Calgary was also on a teamwide slump

I'm sure all of the above are repeatable next season. Otherwise you've got the Oilers losing a 7 point head-to-head swing over Calgary.
nope.

Oilers had a 37-26 record in regulation
Flames were 32-33 in regulation

the only reason the Flames were close to the Oilers was due to 3-on-3 OT and SOs

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Well I mean Talbot was god mode all year and a legit top 5 goalie in the league so expect that to continue. And the Flames downgraded in net, so yes continue to expect let downs in net for the next 82 games

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Remember folks, this is the guy who said Gaudreau is as good as McDavid! Keep the excuses coming. :laugh:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

I would expect the two teams to be neck and neck throughout the year. It's not like the Oilers upgraded anything significantly this off season to justify the "not in the same tier" comment. They are both up and coming teams.

The flames also went on a fluke run. They dont have the goaltending or firepower to keep up with the Oilers. They wont fare well again in the season series either. Oilers can beat Calgary on the scoresheet and physically beat them down on the ice too.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Personally I like the flames.... I think they will battle for the pacific this season... I think their biggest issue was they struggled vs Anaheim san jose and oilers last season.... so they are going to have to do better vs the big teams in the pac.

Not sold on their goaltending yet, and still think they could use a boost up front... maybe pick up a guy like Neal/Perron at deadline.

I expect sam bennet to have a break out year this season... I think monohan is 1 of the really good players in the league you don't really hear too much about... a concern for me would be Johnny hockey showing up against those defensive teams come playoff time(kings ducks Nashville etc) hes got to find a way to be the star in those series. There is a part of me that hopes the flames win a game in Anaheim this season, as a team/fanbase I enjoy the flames very much good group of fans and nothing but good experiences with them on the boards and irl at games.

Ill even go with predictions for em:

Close fought 3rd place finish in the pacific

1st round matchup with the Oilers, Flames win in 6.
2nd round matchup with ducks, Flames lose in 6. ;):naughty:

But a solid season for them overall, ill def be catching some of their games love tkachuk and Monahan.

Good luck on the 17/18 season flames fans hoping to see you in the playoffs again :)

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Good team, they never seem to go away in a season and never a team that will lay down and die. Even last season when they got out a horrendous start, they still battled back slowly for the rest of the year to make the playoffs. In past years to, they get in a funk that would sink 95% of other teams, but still manage to land on their feet

Forward core is good but top heavy. Got a bunch of young players so that core will continue to grow. The D core is very solid and if utilized right could be top 5 in the league. They got a well built skater roster and could be a contender, the only holding them back is goaltending. So as an Oiler fan I have to say thank god they got Smith ahead of the several other much better options available this past summer. Goaltending appears to be the issue that will hold them back for another year or 2. Watching to see if Parsons will be the light at the end of the tunnel in 2/3 years. But if they somehow get good goaltending for this current roster, could be serious noise

Don't know where this perception of the Flames being "top heavy" up front is coming from. If anything we're exactly the opposite. We have JG as a potential PPG player and then a bunch of depth. In order to make any noise, the Flames will obviously need to put together all of their scoring depth at once, which was something they couldn't do for lengths of time last year. However, when they do they have:

Gaudreau
Monahan
Ferland
Backlund
Frolik
Tkachuk
Versteeg
Brouwer
Bennett

All of these guys will need to produce at around a .5 ppg pace. That means big increases from Brouwer, Bennett, and Ferland. Brouwer will hopefully rebound. Bennett needs to put his total game together. Ferland showed the potential to score once in an expanded role. The rest were actually a .5 ppg pace or higher.

That's potentially one of the deepest groups in the NHL and far from top heavy.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

My thoughts exactly

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
You going to look deeper into those 4 games? Just ask the Ducks' fans, we made them earn every win. It wasn't clear cut like everyone thinks. Not to mention we barely sqeaked in because we started off on a crappy start to the season.

SJ needs to rebuild. Or do a massive retool.

Didn't help having Elliott let in 1-2 bad goals a game too.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
They got swept by a mediocre Anaheim team last season.

They are regressing. Bubble team at best.

If you watched that series, flames were in every game... was a very close 4 game series.

Idk where you got mediocre from, they were arguably 3rd best team last year behind penguins and Nashville.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
These threads are really painful from both sides.

The Flames have a lot to prove after a pretty crappy year from a lot of their players due to the poor start.

We will know pretty quickly if last year was just bad timing with a new coach, system and training camp hold outs or if this team just isn't that good and has too much inconsistency from their stars. Gaudreau, Brodie and Monahan need to get back on track. Lots of people saying the Flames don't have game breakers but they forget that is exactly what Gaudreau was just one season earlier when he finished 6th in scoring.

Honestly I could see it going either way. I've been burned by believing in an amazing core on paper before. Would not surprise me in the slightest if this core fizzles out too.

I think not surrounding Gaudreau with more talent like what we see when he plays in international tournaments will be something the Flames regret for a long time.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Calgary did not adequately address their goaltending need.
Smith had one good year in his career and is now 35, hoping that he can repeat the one good year instead of the 11 bad-average years seems like wishful thinking at best.
Eddie Lack bring the same resume... one good year with Vancouver and 3 sub-par years.

With this kind of goaltending the very good Calgary defence will be hard pressed to keep the puck out of the net.

I don't see the Calgary forwards being able to outscore their problems so I think they will be a bubble team at best this year.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The flames have some solid goalie prospects if I remember correctly(pearsons but I think there is another guy or 2 that were pretty good) are any of them near ready, and do flame fans think they may get a strong look at camp or during season if goaltending becomes an issue?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The flames have some solid goalie prospects if I remember correctly(pearsons but I think there is another guy or 2 that were pretty good) are any of them near ready, and do flame fans think they may get a strong look at camp or during season if goaltending becomes an issue?

There's a reason why Smith is only here for 2 years... Because we believe that one of Gillies or Parsons can take the reins by then. We also have Rittich who is a real wild card. Lack is only here for a year, so I will not be surprised if one of those 3 goalie prospects becomes the backup next year and really pushing for the #1 spot from Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad