Thoughts on the Boston Bruins?

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Will be in the mix for a playoff spot.

Krug, Carlo, and McAvoy should be a solid young core on D that will help them be successful for a while. With Z still big Z although regressing, a gritty bottom pair McQuaid, etc, their D this year could be anywhere from 15-20 to a top 5 unit in the league. With Rask behind them to make up for some of the high expectations for the young guys, I think they'll be solid there.

Biggest question is the forwards, and that is a majro concern from my persepctive.

Pastrnak is as legit as they come, so they can rely on him for many years to be a top line contributor. Bergeron is still a great player and gonna contend for Selke's continuously, but at 31 and the way he plays the game, I see his peak ending very soon, and he will be tough to replace. I liek Krejci a lot but don't think you can expect any mroe than 55-60 poitns from him at this point, and then there is Marchand. Who is he? Should eb in his prime, and I expect another~35 goals form him, but I can't see him ever surpassing what he did this past year. TBH I'd be surprised if he hits 75 points again. After that... well you have a lot of crap.

Backes and Beleskey are overpaid and underperforming, but can still be serviceable on a 3rd line. The remainder of the forward group is basically all big ?'s. In order for them to make the playoffs, they'll need their top forwards to repeat what they were able to do last year and have a big year from someone like McAvoy and/or Carlo. Possible, but too many questions up front to consider them a contender. Direction of the team is to retool. They're hpoping to maximize the last prime years of Bergy/Krejci etc,, and then bring in forward help to replace them and put aroudn Pasta while the D core develops into an elite young group hopefully.

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
Bergeron and Marchand can take us to the playoffs. And Tuukka of course. This is probably Chara's last year but Carlo and McAvoy look promising. Hopefully Pastrnak can take another step forward.

Backes is making the money we should be giving Seguin. Thank you Peter :rant:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
They should be in the fight for a playoff spot barring injury issues although I have never been a fan of Rask and the last 2 seasons he has been very average statistically so that could be a problem to playoff aspirations if their GA starts creeping up with him not being very good and their vet D like Chara transitioning to unproven youth is giving him less help (their biggest talent, Krug, is a bad D-man and needs to be sheltered).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Good enough to make the playoffs, not good enough to get out of the first round. Depth up front is the main issue.

Espresso Martini

Apr 12, 2016
Bergeron-Marchand-Pastrnak-Krejci is a very nice top 4 forwards but Krejci is always injured + he and Bergeron are approaching mid 30's in age. They seem to have a small window in the next few years but after that those two will be tough to replace, as well as Chara and Rask. The back end looks promising with MacAvoy, Carlo and Krug though. Hopefully someone else can step up for them. Bubble team with potential to surprise I guess?

Not sure what you consider mid 30's but Krejci is 31 and Bergeron just turned 32 in July.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
The old boys club. A lot like the Knicks and Bulls in the NBA. They have some really good young players in Pastrnak, McAvoy, Vatrano, Czarnik, and JFK; but their star players are all in their 30s and their goaltending is questionable. They need their young guys to become stars before their stars get old.

Marchand is 29

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The old boys club. A lot like the Knicks and Bulls in the NBA. They have some really good young players in Pastrnak, McAvoy, Vatrano, Czarnik, and JFK; but their star players are all in their 30s and their goaltending is questionable. They need their young guys to become stars before their stars get old.

I don't see their goaltending being questionable in the slightest...

Anyways, I agree with most here that they are s bubble team right now.

What they do have going for then us arguably the deepest prospect pool on the league. Outside of McAvoy they don't really have the blue chip prospects, but with DeBrusk, Carlo, Senyshen, Heinen, Celarnik, Lauzon, Frederic, JFK, Vaakanainen, Zboril, Lindgren, Gabrielle, Bjork, etc I don't see any team that rivals the depth of prospects they have.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Status quo for now IMO.

Amazing top line (regardless of Pasta being on it or not), but REALLY lacking up front outside of that, and based on guys like Krejci and Backes being the best players outside of the top line, it looks like it will only get worse from here.

Defense is in a bit of an odd spot with a drastic young vs. old split with not much middle ground, but it should keep getting better with McAvoy and Carlo. Chara, even if he's lost a big step from his Norris-level days, is the obvious "what do you do when he's gone?" question, but to be honest, even at 40 it doesn't really seem to be that pressing of a question yet. There looks to be no talk of retirement in the immediate future.

Goaltending is good. Not much to comment on. Not the biggest Rask fan, but Bruins are better off in goal than most in the league.

It's basically how much the first line can do for them, because the rest of the team isn't good enough in any area to drive the team.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If a couple of Bjork, Vatrano, DeBrusk, Heinen, Senyshyn, JFK, Gabrielle, Frederick, or Cehlarik can become good middle 6 forwards they can go from bubble team to secure playoff team fast. As it stands, they are way too top heavy up front.

On the blue line, they look well set for a long time, although a veteran LD that can take the defensive pressure off Chara and serve as a bridge to Zboril/Lauzon/Vaakanainen/Lindgren fighting for LD spots would be nice.

Finding a longterm Krejci replacement seems doable from their group of young centers, but being able to find an elite #1C like Bergeron again is going to be tough in a few years without tanking out...and they might end up retooling too well to tank out.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
They have some elite forwards, but not a lot of scoring depth. Their defense is okay, but I want to see more from Carlo and McAvoy before I'm convinced that the blueline is a long term strength. I'd say they're set up to be a bubble or slightly better team in the East for many years to come, but I'm not really worried that they're going to be an outrageously stacked team. They will need their young blueliners to be bonafide stars if they want to have lasting success as Bergeron and Krejci will probably start slowing down at some point in the next five years, and they don't have replacements lined up yet. A few good drafts could change that, but that's Sweeny we're talking about.

I'm well aware of my own bias, as I am a card carrying member of the "Hate the Bruins Club".

I don't hate Marchand that much.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
They have some elite forwards, but not a lot of scoring depth. Their defense is okay, but I want to see more from Carlo and McAvoy before I'm convinced that the blueline is a long term strength. I'd say they're set up to be a bubble or slightly better team in the East for many years to come, but I'm not really worried that they're going to be an outrageously stacked team. They will need their young blueliners to be bonafide stars if they want to have lasting success as Bergeron and Krejci will probably start slowing down at some point in the next five years, and they don't have replacements lined up yet. A few good drafts could change that, but that's Sweeny we're talking about.

I'm well aware of my own bias, as I am a card carrying member of the "Hate the Bruins Club".

I don't hate Marchand that much.

Sweeney is not without his faults, but I would say that his drafting is not one of them. He's managed to develop one of the strongest deepest prospect pools in the NHL.

With regard to the Bruins, they are, as others have said above, a bubble team. Making the playoffs next season is no sure thing, given the current state of the roster. On the other hand, I think that the future does look bright for Boston.

Los Patos de Anaheim

Nov 19, 2016
Idaho, USA
I don't see their goaltending being questionable in the slightest...

What they do have going for them is a prospect pool. Outside of McAvoy they don't really have the blue chip prospects, but with Carlo, JFK, Vaakanainen, Lindgren, Bjork, etc. I see many teams that rival the depth of prospects they have.

Fixed it for you

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Not sure what you consider mid 30's but Krejci is 31 and Bergeron just turned 32 in July.

I am aware, which is why I said they are approaching mid 30's and that the Bruins have a couple year window to potentially surprise. In 2-3 years they will be in the 33-34-35 range, and Krejci clearly has more mileage than his age reveals.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Sweeney is not without his faults, but I would say that his drafting is not one of them. He's managed to develop one of the strongest deepest prospect pools in the NHL.

The pool does have good depth, but that was primarily the result of drafting 6 times in the first two rounds of 2015. Largely because he traded away Dougie Hamilton. Going off board to pick DeBrusk and Senyshyn was a squandered opportunity, though he did appear to do quite well in the second round. He nailed the McAvoy pick, but 1/4 in the top15 is hardly awe-inspiring. Development could easily prove me wrong at the end of the day.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Fixed it for you

Which teams have a deeper pool?

McAvoy, DeBrusk, Frederic, Senyshen, Zboril, Vaakanainen are all 1st rd picks who have done nothing to suggest otherwise.

Carlo has established himself as a top 4D at 19. Lauzon and JFK and greatly improved their stock since being 2nd Rd picks. Lindgren one of the top D for team USA at 19.

Heinen was over PPG two years in a row in College and then went over PPG in the AHL playoffs. Cehlarnik had 38 on 49 his first Pro season and looked good in the NHL. Gabrielle had 40 and 35 goal season in the WHL while being one of the bigger pests in the league. Bjork seems to be the one most Bruins fans are most excited for and just put up 52pts in 39 games with Notre Dame.

Not a Bruins fan, but their prospect pool is incredibly deep.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The pool does have good depth, but that was primarily the result of drafting 6 times in the first two rounds of 2015. Largely because he traded away Dougie Hamilton. Going off board to pick DeBrusk and Senyshyn was a squandered opportunity, though he did appear to do quite well in the second round. He nailed the McAvoy pick, but 1/4 in the top15 is hardly awe-inspiring. Development could easily prove me wrong at the end of the day.

Tough to call any of his picks "squandered" when none of the picks taken after them have proven anything yet either.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

You can't say that it was a squandered opportunity. Maybe Debrusk and Senyshyn turn out to be very savvy picks. No one will know until they and Connor, Barzal, et al., play in the NHL.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
As a Caps fan I like to think about the Bruins trading away Seguin and Hamilton when I get down about Forsberg. Thanks Bruins!

High five Tom

Nov 11, 2012
I can see them winning the Atlantic but i can also see them missing the playoffs. If they can get good numbers from there bottom 6 then they should be contending in the East.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Great first line. Defence is atrocious, goaltending is meh, forward depth might be among the worst in the league. If Bergeron declines they are a lottery team.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Think it really depends on the seasons of Bergeron, Kreijci and Backes (more so the last two). They have some great wingers in Marchand and Pasternak. Their forward depth is pretty thin though.

They have some emerging good young players on their defense. Their defense may struggle at times this year but moving forward, should turn into a strength.

Rask is a decent/good goaltender but goaltending really varies from season to season for nearly every team in the league.

I suspect they will be competing for #3 spot in the Atlantic or a wildcard spot. Not sure if they will make the playoffs but they will be right in the mix of things.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Will go as far as their best players and goalie take them. Really not that different from most teams outside of the top 6 in the NHL.

Don't see their division being super strong so I like them to make the playoffs. Their youth is poised to take a step as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad