Thoughts on the Anaheim Ducks?

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
I prefer the name Mighty Ducks of Anaheim and their old jerseys. That's how I feel.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Getzlaf getting bald is the best thing to ever happen to their team. He's so aerodynamic now that it's actually a bit scary. Lightning quick. Mach 1 some would say

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Everyone drools over their D and they should. But 1-12 that's the best forward group in the NHL. It's the perfect mix of size, skill, youth, experience and grit. Cup contender for sure.

Calgary needs to build a new arena. I'd like them to build it in Anahiem so the Flames don't have to play in the Honda Center anymore. And thanks for Hiller.................ya jerks.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
The focal point is center ice, can Getzlaf repeat what he did last year, will this be the year Kesler's bad hip and age catch up with him, will they have any offensive depth at center.

Gibson is weird, he's very good but injury prone. If he stays healthy people will say how much he improved but really he's already good people just don't realize it.

Of course the dirty factor, dirtiest team in the league no doubt. They actually stay surprisingly healthy(outside of Gibson) when you factor in all the time and effort they devote to cheap shots. Lucky Ducks.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
As a Kings fan I have little love for the Ducks but I have a lot of begrudging respect for them.

I think they are at the end of their window. They essentially go as far as Getzlaf takes them and for me he has started to show decline in his game. The problem the Ducks have is that once the wheels fall off Getzlaf I can't see how they can fill the gap it will create. I also think he will drop off from being a top 1C to no more than a solid 2C quickly, within the space of a season.

With Perry, who always used to be the Duck that scared me in a tight game, no longer a reliable game breaker and goaltending that doesn't excite me I think the best they can hope for this season is a 2nd round exit.

I do like their D though as it is good enough and the right age to build around. So If the right offers were there at the deadline for Perry and/or Kesler to facilitate a retool I'd take it.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
They should win the Pacific this year. Again. They are the best team in the division.

I do think that their decline is near though, a season or two away. Getzlaf will decline, Perry will decline futher. Kelser will decline much further. Their D group will still be good and young (thanks to McPhee), but won't make up for the rest of the squad. Barring some great moves I see them as a bubble team and potentially rebuilding in 3 years. But for 2017-18 they're the best team in the Pacific; Western Conference, different story...Nashville or Dallas will beat them in the playoffs if it comes to that

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
As a Kings fan, I respect the Ducks only because of Getzlaf, yeah he takes stupid penalties often and costs the team because of his temper. But man is he a player, leading the team through it all, all while being bald. No small feat. That super reflective dome of his holds a fire of a thousand suns. Through thick and thinning, he will never recede.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Hate them but games against them are fun to watch more often than not, especially now with the Kesler-Johansen stuff.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
As a Kings fan I have little love for the Ducks but I have a lot of begrudging respect for them.

I think they are at the end of their window. They essentially go as far as Getzlaf takes them and for me he has started to show decline in his game. The problem the Ducks have is that once the wheels fall off Getzlaf I can't see how they can fill the gap it will create. I also think he will drop off from being a top 1C to no more than a solid 2C quickly, within the space of a season.

With Perry, who always used to be the Duck that scared me in a tight game, no longer a reliable game breaker and goaltending that doesn't excite me I think the best they can hope for this season is a 2nd round exit.

I do like their D though as it is good enough and the right age to build around. So If the right offers were there at the deadline for Perry and/or Kesler to facilitate a retool I'd take it.

You think Getzlaf has started to show decline? In my opinion these past playoffs were about as beastly as he's ever been.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
One of the best teams in the league still, but the forward core of Getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler are on the verge of declining, especially Perry who now may be a third line player at best on the team.

:laugh: Perry, who scored 53 points last season and 34 goals the season before, is now at best a 3rd liner? :laugh: He might be slowly starting to decline, but 3rd line players don't score 53 points. That's ridiculous.

I respect the Ducks because each season you hear the same thing about how their top players are getting older, and yet they storm out of no where each season and win the division. Guess who won the Pacific Division the last 5 years in a row? The ''declining'' Ducks. Things may eventually swing over to another team, but for now the Ducks are the team to beat in the Pacific. They are coming of a WCF appearance. Their older top players are proving each and every season to still be able to play at an elite level. Their scouting is top notch and they have one of the best Ds in the league, even after the expansion draft.

If anything the Ducks are underrated, often overlooked as a top contending team, and don't get the respect they deserve as an organisation.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Honestly they are a good team. I expect them to be in the top 3 in the pacific (#2 I think). I just have no faith in them in the playoffs, they always falter (with no nieds or pronger). I cant see them getting it done but they will be a good team nonetheless. Only one team can win the cup each year.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The Ducks are very, very, very good. Their forwards have tons of size and skill, and Perry+Kesler can get under anyone's skin. They have one of the best 1-2 punches at C with Getz and Kesler, and lots of talent on the wings. Their defense is very good and still very young, which will set them up for long term success, even as the older generation of Getz/Perry/Kesler slowly fade away. They are also one of the best drafting teams in the league. I'm not sold on their goaltending, but I don't think it's going to sink them. I don't like Carlyle, but I don't think he will drag them down either.

I think they are legitimate cup contenders right now and will be more often than not for the foreseeable future. They aren't likely to be favourities, but they might win one anyways.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Hey all,

So, 3 years ago I asked about the thoughts on each team, just to get us through the offseason.

Here's proof! http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1722781&highlight=

So we'll start in ABC order.

:ducks

So what are your thoughts on the Ducks? It can be anything about them.

For me, as a Flames' fan, I absolutely hate them for having our number. Is frustrating, but you have to respect what they bring. Getzlaf is still playing pretty well, Perry is sucking right now, but I expect him to come back to his regular form. I had doubts that they didn't have someone to replace Getzlaf or Perry, but that Sam Steele guy seems pretty nice, perhaps he pans out. I think with the Gibson/Miller duo and in my eyes on of the best and youngest d-cores in the league, this team for me easily receives the 1st seed in the Pacific Division... Like they have been for the past few years.

EDIT: and try not flaming or trolling, I am sure the mods are tired of us.

My 1st thought is i want 2-3 of their D men on the Leafs....:laugh:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They should have been a team in decline, but they've drafted so well that they have one of the best, youngest defenses in the league, and that's helped everything else go well for them. They've had some good moves as well, like adding Kesler and Vermette. As of now they should be the favorites to win the division, but it's very tight.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Speed is an issue the more you advance. Really good teams can skate. Also going to a finals and then coming back and trying to get to that next level is physically demanding. Not sure at that age they can.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
They WILL lose to the Flames at home this year. I promise this.

They have not materially improved or declined much in any season for the past decade. Still considered contenders as long as Getzlaf is playing.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I hate them, but they are still a good team. Have to be jealous of that defensive core. I honestly thought last year was their year and I thought this was the year to do it. I still think they have a good chance to compete for the division title against the oilers.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
They should have been a team in decline, but they've drafted so well that they have one of the best, youngest defenses in the league, and that's helped everything else go well for them. They've had some good moves as well, like adding Kesler and Vermette. As of now they should be the favorites to win the division, but it's very tight.

I think this is a good post... I think people expect Anaheim to decline... but our defense and goalie should be able to keep us competitive..... we have also done well as of late with forwards... still lacking that top end talent up front(maybe rakell/steel can lead the way) but I think we can continue to be a competitive team for a long time to come.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
They WILL lose to the Flames at home this year. I promise this.

They have not materially improved or declined much in any season for the past decade. Still considered contenders as long as Getzlaf is playing.

I'll believe it when I see it :laugh:

Hope Bringer

Jan 6, 2010
As many have said, they're a good team, but their window is closing. Still think they have a couple years left in them, but a lot depends on how Perry rebounds from last season.

The bottom six probably needs improvement for a chance at the Cup, but they'll contend for sure.

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
Getzlaf is still Getzlaf, Perry had a rough year but is still young enough to bounce back. Kesler is still Kesler but for how much longer. Rakell looks great. I thought for sure Silfverberg was gone. Really good management keeping the roster mostly intact.

Some great young d-men- Vatanen, Lindholm, Fowler. Bieksa looks about done to me.

All in all I think they're a contender again this year. The sun's setting though

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Kesler is a piece of **** as a player and person, and his constant dirty play makes me forget that the rest of Anaheim is likeable.

I ****ing hate that guy. Good team, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad