Thoughts on the Anaheim Ducks?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hey all,

So, 3 years ago I asked about the thoughts on each team, just to get us through the offseason.

Here's proof! http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1722781&highlight=

So we'll start in ABC order.

:ducks

So what are your thoughts on the Ducks? It can be anything about them.

For me, as a Flames' fan, I absolutely hate them for having our number. Is frustrating, but you have to respect what they bring. Getzlaf is still playing pretty well, Perry is sucking right now, but I expect him to come back to his regular form. I had doubts that they didn't have someone to replace Getzlaf or Perry, but that Sam Steele guy seems pretty nice, perhaps he pans out. I think with the Gibson/Miller duo and in my eyes on of the best and youngest d-cores in the league, this team for me easily receives the 1st seed in the Pacific Division... Like they have been for the past few years.

EDIT: and try not flaming or trolling, I am sure the mods are tired of us.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Might be the third best team in that division, guess will see

I think they may take a step back this year though

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
They're strong.

I could see them starting slow once again, i think Kesler and Vatanen are out to start the year? (correct me if im wrong)

But this is a veteran team with some interesting young guys in the mix and no significant holes.

Rakell - Getzlaf - Perry
Cogliano - Kesler - Silfverberg
Ritchie - Vermette - Eaves
Shaw - Wagner - Kase

Lindholm - Manson
Fowler - Montour
Bieksa - Vatanen

Gibson
Miller

The big names are there, the depth is there, the goaltending is there.. For me they're playoff bound and contenders for the cup.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
They're good but I can't stand all the stuff the refs let them get away with behind the play, the obstruction and everything. Hell of a young defense, love Rakell

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Division is open. Ducks by history on top with how few changes they have had but certainly open.

Ducks should be slowly declining but are still a good team. At some point I expect Carlyle to take effect and the team will completely come off the rails. Should be a playoff team next year.

Edmonton. It be nice to think they are just getting started but its hard to imagine the team being significantly better or worse next year. Moving forward with cap restraints they should always be in the mix for division title but barring some great GMing or draft luck this is a team that will be a bit shy of being a cup contender for the foreseeable future.

SJS. Lost a good player but not an important one. Very similar to Ducks in that they are slowly declining but still good.

Calgary. Improved the most out of any team and legitimately have an outside shot at the division. However with so much parity in the league/division it's not like they are lined up to overtake any of the above teams convincingly.

Arizona. Improved and even when fielding a team of nobodies in the past have suspiciously made the playoffs far too often. Currently a bad team but with a lot of potential. Should miss the playoffs but a bit too much of a wild card to write off.

Van. Did far worse than I thought they would have last year. Sedin's appear to be done and at least a year sooner than most predicted. I didn't mind the Van retool tactic over a full rebuild but with poor everything its gone that way and is hard to imagine them getting out of the basement any time soon.

Vegas. McPhees/NHLs attempt to boost scoring. I understand putting together a hockey team is tough but McPhee looks like he built a team to lose so badly no one will ever want to play there. Most his contracts are gone in the couple years as well. No idea how the heck they will even have a real NHL roster within this decade (2020).

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Top 2 Dcore in the NHL. Between them and Nashville for tops in the league.

Also hate them, but damn can they draft D men.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They are easily one of the dirtiest teams in the league but the refs let them get away with it so you can't really blame them. Their scouting staff is amazing at identifying and drafting quality players with later picks. The only weakness they might have will be at center when Getzlaf, Kesler and Vermette become ineffective with age.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
They're strong.

I could see them starting slow once again, i think Kesler and Vatanen are out to start the year? (correct me if im wrong)

Kes, Vatanen, and Lindholm all had surgery this offseason and will probably be on the shelf for a bit of the season.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Great team, could definitely win the division again. We'll see about the Cup but not out of the question.
Rakell and Lindholm look to be becoming very good players.
I was a Ducks fan for about 3 hours when I went to that insane comeback against Edmonton, and I'm grateful to them for that. :laugh:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
If ritchie hits on his potential this year and pots 20 or more goals they have scary depth. Their 4th line leaves a ton to be desired but that can easily be addressed come deadline time. They are a dangerous team.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
One of the best teams in the league still, but the forward core of Getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler are on the verge of declining, especially Perry who now may be a third line player at best on the team. Rakell is emerging as a dangerous offensive threat, who will light up the league for years to come. The defensive core is full of young, mobile defenseman who can contribute offensively if needed, and on the PP. Gibson is a solid, yet sometimes erratic young goaltender, who can be injury prone so getting Ryan Miller as a veteran back up is a good decision. It seems likely that one of the young defenseman or prospects will be traded to add offensive depth at the trade deadline (most likely Vatanen).

At this time the Ducks have dominated the Pacific division during the regular season these past few years, but I think the Oilers will pass them this season and the Ducks will finish second in the division. However, this team is still a Stanley Cup contender and I would not be surprised if they reach the Western Conference Final or further.

Predictions:
Regular Season Standings: 2nd (Pacific Division)
Stanley Cup Playoffs: Stanley Cup Final
Key Player: Ryan Getzlaf
Most Surprising Player: Josh Manson
Most Disappointing Player: Corey Perry

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The forward corps is great. Defense is interesting. Goaltending is excellent.

I think they end up being typical Ducks. They don't win the Cup, but they're in it.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Their window is closing...fast.

Hoping Miller can take em to the promised land in the next 2 years but if he can't...don't retoll! Sell the vets for futures and rebuild.

Teemu Salami

Empty Ketchup Bottle
May 9, 2013
Orange County, CA
Their window is closing...fast.

Hoping Miller can take em to the promised land in the next 2 years but if he can't...don't retoll! Sell the vets for futures and rebuild.

Luckily we can draft unlimited defensemen to carry us lol. Need to hit on some of the promising forwards we have. A new window can open fast with a re-tool and our d-men getting even better.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't think their window is closing that fast. The D is maturing and getting better and Getzlaf was still dominating in the playoffs. He might have a few great years left.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Well I thought with basically the same roster and under Carlyle they might miss the playoffs but I was wrong about that so who knows? It would really help if Gibson could calm his nerves in the postseason (and what is this interminable narrative that Gibson is a terrible goalie? A young second year goalie had postseason struggles and suddenly that makes him garbage...like I could understand if he was 26-31) and stay healthy and if Perry could pay like he's getting paid a ton of money..

As for the window closing I think it's possible once Getzlaf trails off. In any case the defense is set for years. Gibson can be a staple in goal if he works out his nerves and groin issues. We just need some of our forward prospects to hit (if Sam Steel can become a star center and back up his chl leading year that would be huge) to make up for Getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler aging. The pieces are there to prevent a full rebuild process. But their days of contending are numbered if they don't figure out how to keep their offense strong enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad