Thoughts on Søberg's departure?

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
I've had a few interesting twitter conversations in the last few days regarding Steffen Søberg, the sixth overall pick in the CHL Import Draft.

He's skipped out on the Washington Capitals training camp after skating with the Swift Current Broncos. Speculation had a 'family emergency', but now it appears more like Søberg isn't going to return to the WHL's Broncos.

Soberg told Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet.no as translated by Hockeyramblings, he would not be returning to Mark Lamb and the Swift Current Broncos, despite some optimism from the club’s head coach and general manager.

“Yeah, maybe he is hoping for that, but deep down inside I think he knows that I’m not coming back,” Soberg told the outlet. “I just don’t feel like I’m ready to move that far away on my own just yet.”

http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wordpress.com/2011/09/15/soberg-bucks-broncos/

Quite a few on twitter have chimed up and said he just isn't committed to the sport and that he's making a big mistake. While I think he'd develop better in the WHL, I don't see this as a fatal mistake for Søberg.

Thoughts?

RyderFistPump

Mar 21, 2010
Waay up north
I've had a few interesting twitter conversations in the last few days regarding Steffen Søberg, the sixth overall pick in the CHL Import Draft.

He's skipped out on the Washington Capitals training camp after skating with the Swift Current Broncos. Speculation had a 'family emergency', but now it appears more like Søberg isn't going to return to the WHL's Broncos.

http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wordpress.com/2011/09/15/soberg-bucks-broncos/

Quite a few on twitter have chimed up and said he just isn't committed to the sport and that he's making a big mistake. While I think he'd develop better in the WHL, I don't see this as a fatal mistake for Søberg.

Thoughts?

To move that far away from home at 17-18 is a big step, something like allsvenskan would be better for his developmet I think. Sorry about any spelling mistakes this is written whens drunks :laugh:

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
He said in an interview with hockeysverige.se that he just didn't want to be over there.
If that's the case, he really shouldn't. And being back home, or in Sweden for that matter, will probably be better for his development.
Whether he has the drive and passion to succeed, I don't know. I haven't seen him play or even read much about him.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
If he feels he isn't ready(be it emotionally/mentally/physically) to move across an ocean and away from his friends and family I see no reason to fault him. That can be destructive if he moves before he's ready.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
His younger brother is playing juniors in Sweden this season. As of the U-18 tournament, he really had no idea where he'd be this year, but CHL scouts were already asking about his readiness/availability for this season.

What now?
There would surely be some Norwegian teams who'd happily add him to their team, if not just his home club Manglerud, but these teams have all already planned their goaltending positions accordingly. That league may not necessarily be the best training ground for him at this point.

It's a shame that this is taking place. You don't want to be a 'homeless' goaltender at this early point in the season. One would have to think at this juncture that he'd be best served finding the right situation in Sweden, if it's available. One injury in one of the bette U20 teams or even the Allsvenskan would be a logical target.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
With all due respect to Swift Current, which may be a nice small town, that's probably a harder transition for somebody coming from Oslo than if Soberg was heading to say the Vancouver Giants or the Ottawa 67s or something. Just as very few Canadian teenagers would be comfortable moving to whatever the Norwegian equivalent of Swift Current would be, it's hard to fault Soberg on a personal level. Maybe it's not the best move for his career, but it's not the end of the world.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I think Caps pushed hard for him to go the CHL, and he gave it a try and it didn't work out. As much as I'd like to see him in the CHL, he has to do what's best for himself and his development. No point in saying with SC, if it's gonna affect him in a negative way.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
I think at the end of the day, a happy Soberg develops better in a lower league than an unhappy Soberg developing in a better league.

He had some connections to Färjestad, so I'm wondering if their junior program is an alternative at this point for Soberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad