Thoughts on Robert Nilsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I know leading up to his draft year he was talked about as a possible #1 but then fell quite a bit. Alot of people still think he could be a steal. Any thoughts on how he has developed in Sweden? Is he going to be an impact scorer as once thought?

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
HIT or MISS!

He has a huge upside, and if he reaches it then he can possibly be the steal of the draft.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Leachmeister2000 said:
He seems to be getting suckier and suckier though.

He's been Sweden's best player (or at least top scorer) in almost every Int'l tournament in the last few years that he's been in.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
Seems to produce tons against his own age group.
Big time. Thats the only time I've seen him though and from watching him you can see that he oozes skill. I'm thinking that the biggest problem is his stregth. Thats why he has a hard time playing against men.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Russian_fanatic said:
HIT or MISS!

I couldn't disagree more.Nilsson spent all of last yr on Leksand's 4th line.Looks like his headcoach was trying to send him a message,give a more consistent effort and play better defensively.You'd hope the player would respond to the coaches challenge.Nilsson and his dad asked for a trade.Leksand agreed,then later tried getting him to stay.Nilsson left,spent the rest of the yr in a lower league.

He signed with Djurgarden for this season,thinking he'd get icetime,but then the nhl lockout occurred and Djurgarden signed Czerkawski,Marcus Nilsson,Ekman,Turco,Tarnqvist,Boyle,Turco...Djurgarden's priority is making the playoffs,not developing a 19 yr old who's leaving for NA possibly as soon as this summer.Again 4th line mins.He's been demoted to the 2nd tier league to get icetime.

fans on hf's Sweden's board,said the coach of Sweden's Under 20 team gave a recent radio interview, where he criticized the SEL and 2nd tier teams who went out and signed nhlers,saying they are taking the icetime the prospects need for development.

Isles reported will bring him over to Bridgeport this summer to take a more hands on approach,make sure he gets icetime in all situations.

Coming out of the draft,the knock on Nilsson was his consistency and defense.

WCJ article on team Sweden
http://www.eliteprospects.com/news.php?news=1199

12/07/04
Nilsson is a more complete player now than last year, when he still led the Swedish team in points. He works harder now and has improved his defensive game enough to occasionally get ice time in shorthanded situations. Offensively there are few players in this year's WJC tournament that can match Nilsson's technical skills, dekes and playmaking ability.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Leachmeister2000 said:
He seems to be getting suckier and suckier though.

I'm always interested when I read a response like this.How many of Nilsson games have you actually seen?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
you couldn't disagree more with someone saying he's got a huge upside but is a hit or miss prospect?

that seems to be the exact MO of nilsson...highly skilled but the question is whether he's gonna get it all together.

then you went on to detail his history...what's the point? you didn't even elaborate on why you didn't agree with the poster you were quoting

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Nilsson actually ended up on Hammarbys fourth line as well, and of what I know, he is back with Djurgårdens U20 team.

He doesn't seem to do well anywhere except at the international level, or what I think, he aint given the chance to glance. One bad shift and he on the bench. The coaches doesn't seem to have enough patience with him, and remember, he is just 19 years old and those players can't be as consistent as the older players. But as said in a post above, the clubs may not take the effort to develop him 'cause he'll leave for NA as soon as he has established himself.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Levitate said:
you couldn't disagree more with someone saying he's got a huge upside but is a hit or miss prospect?

that seems to be the exact MO of nilsson...highly skilled but the question is whether he's gonna get it all together.

then you went on to detail his history...what's the point? you didn't even elaborate on why you didn't agree with the poster you were quoting

hit or miss implies that he'll either be a star in the nhl or never make the nhl.He's a very offensively skilled prospect, in an organization that's thin on skilled prospects.If his defense and effort game in and game out, isn't what the nyi want it to be,his offensive potential means he'll be out there getting 6 icetime/pp time anyway.

Czerkawski,Val Bure are good examples of players we've seen that had a lot of offensive talent,but were lacking defensively,weren't consistent.They weren't stars,but they put up good numbers.

and the point of Nilsson history is to show a major reason why he's put up suck crappy numbers in the SEL.How many players excel offensively on the 4th line?

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
CREW99AW said:
I'm always interested when I read a response like this.How many of Nilsson games have you actually seen?

Not many I can tell you that, when is he crossing the pond, I'd definietely love to see him first hand.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
CREW99AW said:
well you're honest about not seeing many of his games.

Looks like we see Robert on TSN for 1 game for sure during the WJC. If he plays like I've seen him before, you'll undoubtedly agree he has fantastic offensive flash and that he is one of the top offensive junior players in the world. He has had a tough time logging quality ice time the past 2 years in the SEL and next year he is no longer a junior.

He'll be fun to watch this Xmas but it won't be until we can watch him in the AHL next year (if he comes over) before I'd brand him as hit or miss just yet. With out doubt the Isles must take control of his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad