Thoughts on Kostitsyns

Status
Not open for further replies.

All-Star

Jul 14, 2003
Snake Mountain
Visit site
mytor4 said:
THERE IS NO DOUBT IN MY MIND THE GUY THAT MADE THIS QUOTE HAS TO BE A LOSER LEAF FAN. THEY SEEM TO BE THE MOST JEALOUS OF THE HABS PROSPECT
SINCE THEY HAVE VERY FEW IF ANY GOOD PROSPECT AND NONE COMPARABLE TO THE LIKES OF KOSTITSYN.
Is it by any chance the fact that his user name is T(oronto)M(aple)L(eafs) that gave away his favorite team? ;)

Anyway, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, not just the people who agree with yours.

And please don't start a Kostitsyn vs Wellwood thread. :help:

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Kostitsyn only scored those points because team USA fell asleep. Once they woke up, he was ineffective.

He's still overrated and won't be an impact player at any pro-NA level.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
DownFromNJ said:
Kostitsyn only scored those points because team USA fell asleep. Once they woke up, he was ineffective.

This is the exact type of quote that makes me harp on about the hating on these boards, I swear, if Ovechkin was from belarus and would of scored those points, everyone would be going crazy...

US team fell asleep, please, if you can't see he dominated that game, well you were watching the wrong game, nobody on the US squad could keep up with him physically, it wasn't even close...

I think you're the one who fell asleep...

Some people can't just give respect where respect is due :shakehead

habfan4

Jul 16, 2002
Deus Amat Pretzel
Visit site
Hopefully Jarvis will realize that this kid needs a little more ice time in Hamilton to get his game together in the AHL (Kostitsyn seems to flourish when given more on ice responsibilities/ice time).

TML

Dec 13, 2003
Hamilton
417 TO MTL said:
Just to ask TML, what exactly in Kostitsyn's game, leads you to believe that he will be a boom or bust prospect, is it based on solid facts that you can back up and make a solid argument, or is it based on what everyone says about Kostitsyn on these boards...seems to me like it's the cool thing to say when speaking of Kostitsyn "he's a boom or bust prospect" it's like that saying is attached to his name here
I live in Hamilton... I have seen Kost play many times down @ Copps Coliseum.

The Dogs haven't been able to score this year. Plekanec has been the best player so far for the Dogs. Corey Locke has played well this year as a rookie. He looks like a possible steal fro the '03 draft.

As for Kostitsyn... he has played better as of late in the AHL. He had a horrible first 25 games. He can't speak English and he hasn't gotten much ice-time, so his 9 points may be wrong if you were to judge him based on that. Call it a hunch, but I either see him excelling at the NHL or else he'll be one of those players that heads back home and lights up the Russian Superleague. That's where my boom or bust analysis came from.

Histrion

Feb 13, 2003
habfan4 said:
Hopefully Jarvis will realize that this kid needs a little more ice time in Hamilton to get his game together in the AHL (Kostitsyn seems to flourish when given more on ice responsibilities/ice time).

He has given him more responsabilities and ice time as of late and Kostistsyn has responded very well. I hope that this trend will continue and that Kostitsyn will finally learn a decent english, it could help him a lot..

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
TML said:
I live in Hamilton... I have seen Kost play many times down @ Copps Coliseum.

The Dogs haven't been able to score this year. Plekanec has been the best player so far for the Dogs. Corey Locke has played well this year as a rookie. He looks like a possible steal fro the '03 draft.

As for Kostitsyn... he has played better as of late in the AHL. He had a horrible first 25 games. He can't speak English and he hasn't gotten much ice-time, so his 9 points may be wrong if you were to judge him based on that. Call it a hunch, but I either see him excelling at the NHL or else he'll be one of those players that heads back home and lights up the Russian Superleague. That's where my boom or bust analysis came from.

I see, but just to add to your argument, how can a 19yr old, playing in a new country, learning a new language, adjusting to new rink dimensions, be expected to lead a struggling offense such as the Bulldogs (and if you truly live in Hamilton, you know how bad they've been offensively) in his limited icetime he's still managed to put points in the 1/3 of his games, it's only recently he's been paired with Plekanec and he's started to show more offensive flair, any other 19yr old doing what he's doing in the AHL, would be praised, no doubt!

Vic Rattlehead*

velimiiro said:
Yes
Yes
1st line franchise player

2nd, 3rd, maybe 4th round.
Hard to say..

:shakehead The term "Franchise player" is overrated a lot on these boards.

MontrealCruiser_83*

DownFromNJ said:

Thanks Mrs. Cleo.

Histrion

Feb 13, 2003
19bruins19 said:
:shakehead The term "Franchise player" is overrated a lot on these boards.

Overrated? :dunno:

I do think that the word 'overrated' is terribly 'overrated'.

I think you meant that it was used too frequently. If not, I really don't know what the hell you wanted to say there, my good man.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
The Iconoclast said:
That's my opinion based on what I saw. As I said I would have to see moregames to get a better gauge on the kid's ability, but based on what I saw last night I wasn't overly impressed. Putting up a bunch of points in one period doesn't impress me. Consistency impresses me.

Did anyone see Andrei play in Belarus' first three games? Prior to the game against the US, he was named the player of the game in at least one of the games. Andrei is a virtual lone wolf on that team. I talent in some of the other Belarussians, but nothing on par with Andrei. Five points in four games, on that team, is a feat. Getting player of the game nods in other games shows the effort was there in more than one game. I think anyone would tell you that a players ilk is not merely judged in points. BTW his 1g and 2a came in the first two periods. Take solice from those that have seen the kid play A LOT. He's a gem. It will take some work, but he's a keeper.

Lanny MacDonald*

You know, its funny, but a guy asked a question and people have given him an answer. People have given their honest opinion and attempted to explain why they feel the way they do. What happens next? A dog pile of indignant Montreal Canadiens fans for someone sharing their opinion. Hey, if you can't handle the opinions don't ask the question in the first place. This is not Montreal Canadiens Future, this is Hockey's Future. If you're looking for people to blow smoke up your skirt about how great your prospects are then I suggest you hang around the forum of your favorite team for a back patting session. There is no excuse for jumping on people for sharing their opinion after being asked a open question.

:teach:

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Gimme a break. I, for one, am merely engaging in an exchange. No one is jumping on you. Their merely looking for support to your arguments.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The Iconoclast said:
You know, its funny, but a guy asked a question and people have given him an answer. People have given their honest opinion and attempted to explain why they feel the way they do. What happens next? A dog pile of indignant Montreal Canadiens fans for someone sharing their opinion. Hey, if you can't handle the opinions don't ask the question in the first place. This is not Montreal Canadiens Future, this is Hockey's Future. If you're looking for people to blow smoke up your skirt about how great your prospects are then I suggest you hang around the forum of your favorite team for a back patting session. There is no excuse for jumping on people for sharing their opinion after being asked a open question.

:teach:

You are completely right, at the same time, it's dumb, and immature to say a player isin't or hasn't played well just because you don't like the prospect or the team who owns his rights...goes both ways :teach:

RaTcine

Oct 17, 2003
Ghetto Noré Bôgran
DownFromNJ said:

Didn't he scored the last goal of he game for Belarus?

Histrion

Feb 13, 2003
TML said:
Dustin Brown, Thomas Vanek, Zach Parise, Ryan Kesler, Brent Burns, and Mikko Koivu are all 19 year olds who have played well this year in the AHL. As you can see, Kost isn't the only 19 year old in the AHL... take off those red, blue, n white sunglasses and see that Kost is clearly having a hard time adjusting.

Well, you would have a point there if any of these 19 years old actually had to adjust to North American lifestyle and physical game. In fact, you would have a point with Mikko Koivu but the fact is... well... he's 21 years old, dude.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
US team fell asleep, please, if you can't see he dominated that game, well you were watching the wrong game, nobody on the US squad could keep up with him physically, it wasn't even close...

Did you watch the 3rd period? Team USA ment business, and he couldn't keep up. Yeah, he threw out a few hard checks, but he didn't dominate anyone physically. Eric Lindros dominated people physically.

I saw a sleeping USA team get surprised by a determined Belarus team. It won't happen again.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
awesome` said:
Well, you would have a point there if any of these 19 years old actually had to adjust to North American lifestyle and physical game. In fact, you would have a point with Mikko Koivu but the fact is... well... he's 21 years old, dude.

Can't believe I didin't notice that myself...

Well TML, what's the response? Habs suck? :shakehead

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
DownFromNJ said:
Did you watch the 3rd period? Team USA ment business, and he couldn't keep up. Yeah, he threw out a few hard checks, but he didn't dominate anyone physically. Eric Lindros dominated people physically.

I saw a sleeping USA team get surprised by a determined Belarus team. It won't happen again.

You're right, Kostitsyn was horrible

Vic Rattlehead*

awesome` said:
Overrated? :dunno:

I do think that the word 'overrated' is terribly 'overrated'.

I think you meant that it was used too frequently. If not, I really don't know what the hell you wanted to say there, my good man.

You obviously know what I mean, but what I said is right. It's overrated because people use it too much.

Histrion

Feb 13, 2003
19bruins19 said:
You obviously know what I mean, but what I said is right. It's overrated because people use it too much.

Well, to me overrated is when you... actually... rate something but not on a proper level, when you overestimate the 'goods' of something. And I don't think that's the case with the expression 'franchise player', if anything, people are underestimating what it means to be a franchise player.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
TML said:
Dustin Brown, Thomas Vanek, Zach Parise, Ryan Kesler, Brent Burns, and Mikko Koivu are all 19 year olds who have played well this year in the AHL. As you can see, Kost isn't the only 19 year old in the AHL... take off those red, blue, n white sunglasses and see that Kost is clearly having a hard time adjusting.

I don't see anyone saying he isn't. BTW Mikko is 21, and will be 22 in March. Of Vanek, Parise, Kesler, Burns, Koivu, and Kostsitsyn, Andrei is the only one that is learning a new language. Koivu is in his first year in NA, but you can bet his brother did a good job prepping him for play over here. I'd wager his skill with the English language is also quite a bit better.

Raitis Ivanans was brought in to help with Andrei's adjustment to a new culture, but until Andrei gets the basics of English down pat, it's going to be diffcult for him to really learn systems from Jarvis. All he can really do at this point is work hard enough to earn ice time with the top lines and hope to build chemistry.

Vic Rattlehead*

awesome` said:
Well, to me overrated is when you... actually... rate something but not on a proper level, when you overestimate the 'goods' of something. And I don't think that's the case with the expression 'franchise player', if anything, people are underestimating what it means to be a franchise player.

Exactly. Kostitsyn may have had a very good game, but that doesn't make him a potential franchise player.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
19bruins19 said:
Exactly. Kostitsyn may have had a very good game, but that doesn't make him a potential franchise player.

No it certainly dosen't, but anyone who says he didin't have a good game or that they weren't impressed with him is just letting their dispise for that prospect or his team get in the way, I just find it dumb and imature, he did play C, LW, RW and played the point on the PP, killed penalties, logged a ton of icetime and had 1 goal and 2 assist, yeah he wasn't that good :shakehead

Last edited:

turnbuckle*

Originally Posted by TML
"Dustin Brown, Thomas Vanek, Zach Parise, Ryan Kesler, Brent Burns, and Mikko Koivu are all 19 year olds who have played well this year in the AHL. As you can see, Kost isn't the only 19 year old in the AHL... take off those red, blue, n white sunglasses and see that Kost is clearly having a hard time adjusting."

In the immortal words of Wayne Gretzky, and more recently Bob Goodenow, "What a crock of crap."

Brown, Vanek, Parise and Kesler are all 20 years old, Koivu is
21. Burns isn't even a forward - but you got one thing right, he's 19. If he was really adjusting so much better to the AHL than Kosty, you'd figure he would have found a spot in the WJC.

If you do indeed live in /Hamilton and follow the 'Dogs, you would realize that Jarvis is taking a similar approach with Kosty as the Habs took with Perezhogin last season, only with even more attention paid to improving his defensive game, because Perezhogin, when he came over last season, was a year older than Kosty, and already a better defensive player. Perezhogin was much better in the second half of last season, and I expect the same for Kosty, mainly because it was already happening in Hamilton the last week or so before he left for the WJC.

Kosty suddenly bergan playing with more intensity along the boards and especially in his own end, and it was clearly obvious to anyone that had seen him earlier in the year that his game had improved dramatically. In turn Jarvis started giving him WAYYY more minutes, in fact he promoted him to the top line, and he looked solid all-around in the last two matches I saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad