Thoughts on Kostitsyns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
After the victory of team Belarus over team USA.

What do you think of Andrei Kostitsyn and is brother, Siarhei(sp?) Kostitsyn..

Was picking Kostitsyn 10th overall by the Habs a good idea?
Is he comparable to Alexei Kovalev?
What's his full potentiel?

Where do you think Siarhei will be drafted?
When is he eligibile?
Compareble to who?

velimiiro

Komisarek8 said:

When is he eligibile?
Compareble to who?

Yes
Yes
1st line franchise player

2nd, 3rd, maybe 4th round.
Hard to say..

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Komisarek8 said:

When is he eligibile?
Compareble to who?

Kostitsyn was a very good pick. You just cant let an elite talent pass by like that even with the medical problems at the #10 spot. He obviously could have gone top 5 without the epileptic problems. The draft is all about taking risks, and the habs swung for the fences. I like agressive drafting.

As for S.Kostitsyn, I will not guage him just yet. I dont know enough about him and its tough to gauge a player when they played a pathetic team like the US. I'll leave that one for the experts.

BTW, if you are interested in other players that were drafted around kostitsyn, here it is:

#8 - Braydon Coburn - Atlanta
#9 - Dion Phaneuf - Calgary
#10 - Andrei Kostitsyn - Montreal
#11 - Jeff Carter - Philadephia
#12 - Hugh Jessiman - New York Rangers

I dont know much about Jessiman but any of these players could have made the habs pick look good. But I dont think its a stretch to say that Kostitsyn has the most offensive upside out of these guys.

here is a complete look at that draft:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2003e.html

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I'm thinking that Kostitsyn will return to the AHL after the WJC is over, with a renewed confidence and have a much better second half. At the very least I expect that he'll break out considerably in '05-06.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
At the time of the draft many experts said that the only thing keeping him out of the top 5 was medical reasons. I think we saw a glimspe tonight of what he is capable of but I will hold off on glorifying him just yet. There is still a long road to travel. But I do like what I have seen so far.

AgentNaslund*

Tuggy said:
At the time of the draft many experts said that the only thing keeping him out of the top 5 was medical reasons. I think we saw a glimspe tonight of what he is capable of but I will hold off on glorifying him just yet. There is still a long road to travel. But I do like what I have seen so far.

what he said.

keep in mind, this is only 1 game he played, that he stood out. I watched him play 2 games at the AHL,and it was against the Moose. Both times, he was invisable. Looking more and more like a bust. Ryan Kesler was ten times better then him offensivly and defensivly. But anyways, hes gonna get better.

As if right now, I take Carter, or Dustin Brown over him. Safer picks.

Lanny MacDonald*

To be honest, I wasn't that impressed. I'd have to see a series of games to properly guage his performance. The American squad he looked good against was brutal. They stood around and let the Belorussians skate around them. The goaltending was terrible. I think Kostitsyn really shone in the second period when the Americans got into penalty trouble and were back on their heels. When there was a lot more ice and the opposition was not looking to take his head off he was impressive. As soon as the Americans woke up and started playing in the third I thought he disappeared a bit. I thought he played the same vein as another extremely hyped player on this board, Robbie Schremp. Both look great on the power play and have a lot of skills, but when the game intensifies and the play picks up they disappear.

If I were to guage Kostitsyn's performance on this one game I would say he's going to be an NHL star. Unfortunately the NHL isn't filled with guys who will stand around and let a guy dangle. Kostitsyn's moves just aren't that impressive that I would say he's going to dominant. Frankly, there are all sorts of players who looked great for a game or two in the WJC and never went on to NHL careers. I would say that the kid has some great skills but will have to prove himself. IF he makes it to the NHL he will have to be in a scoring capacity as his two way game just isn't there (based as I said on one game). He'll have to learn to think about his defensive responsibilities. I don't see any Kovalev in him (he's not that good). Right now I see a bigger Maxim Afinogenov with the upside of an Alex Mogilny. Personally, from what I saw tonight, I would be surprised if he showed the Maxim Afinogenov in him at the NHL level.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
he looked pretty good against the US but nothing really amazing. he really didn't dazzle or anything

dunno, i expected a little more out of him, especially since the US was playing so poorly, but i still dont' think it's a bad thing for the habs to have taken him where they did

Habitantpeasoup

Jul 5, 2004
Za Great White North
The Iconoclast said:
To be honest, I wasn't that impressed. I'd have to see a series of games to properly guage his performance. The American squad he looked good against was brutal. They stood around and let the Belorussians skate around them. The goaltending was terrible. I think Kostitsyn really shone in the second period when the Americans got into penalty trouble and were back on their heels. When there was a lot more ice and the opposition was not looking to take his head off he was impressive. As soon as the Americans woke up and started playing in the third I thought he disappeared a bit. I thought he played the same vein as another extremely hyped player on this board, Robbie Schremp. Both look great on the power play and have a lot of skills, but when the game intensifies and the play picks up they disappear.

If I were to guage Kostitsyn's performance on this one game I would say he's going to be an NHL star. Unfortunately the NHL isn't filled with guys who will stand around and let a guy dangle. Kostitsyn's moves just aren't that impressive that I would say he's going to dominant. Frankly, there are all sorts of players who looked great for a game or two in the WJC and never went on to NHL careers. I would say that the kid has some great skills but will have to prove himself. IF he makes it to the NHL he will have to be in a scoring capacity as his two way game just isn't there (based as I said on one game). He'll have to learn to think about his defensive responsibilities. I don't see any Kovalev in him (he's not that good). Right now I see a bigger Maxim Afinogenov with the upside of an Alex Mogilny. Personally, from what I saw tonight, I would be surprised if he showed the Maxim Afinogenov in him at the NHL level.

Come on, Kostitsyn was winning all the battles with this American team skill wise & physically wise & was easily the best player on the ice, and comparing Robbie Shremps play last night to his is just a ridiculously LOL statement. Kostitsyn owned Robbie Shremp & the whole American team for that matter. I don't know why everybody is making excuses for the Americans they got lucky when the beat Russia & could very easlily lost to Switzerland frankly they just aren't a very good team this year. Kostitsyn finishes the tournament with 5 pts in 4 games on probably the worst squad in the tournament playing with sub par linemates I love to see this guy paired with someone like crosby & bergeron.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
ciggyboy said:
Come on, Kostitsyn was winning all the battles with this American team skill wise & physically wise & was easily the best player on the ice, and comparing Robbie Shremps play last night to his is just a ridiculously LOL statement. Kostitsyn owned Robbie Shremp & the whole American team for that matter. I don't know why everybody is making excuses for the Americans they got lucky when the beat Russia & could very easlily lost to Switzerland frankly they just aren't a very good team this year. Kostitsyn finishes the tournament with 5 pts in 4 games on probably the worst squad in the tournament playing with sub par linemates I love to see this guy paired with someone like crosby & bergeron.

Exactamundo!!!

Lanny MacDonald*

ciggyboy said:

A few things.

1) I was not comparing Kostitsyn to Schremp based on last night's game. I was comparing the two based on Schremp's past play that I have seen. I see both of them being a slick player, but not playing well when the game picks up or the play intensifies. If either is to make it it will be on their scoring ability, and both have to learn to do more five on five.

2) You contradict yourself. You say that Kostitsyn was dominant against the Americans in one breath, then in the other you say how bad they have been throughout the tournament. Which is it? Did Kostitsyn play great, or did he take advantage of a team that was not very good? As I said, I thought the Americans played terrible and let him dangle.

3) Your statement that the Americans were lucky to beat the Swiss and the Russians is true. But what does that say about division? If the division is that weak should Kostitsyn not have had more points? Five points in four games is great, except four of them came in one game. Consistency gets you to the NHL, not scoring spurts against teams skating in their sleep.

That's my opinion based on what I saw. As I said I would have to see moregames to get a better gauge on the kid's ability, but based on what I saw last night I wasn't overly impressed. Putting up a bunch of points in one period doesn't impress me. Consistency impresses me.

Habitantpeasoup

Jul 5, 2004
Za Great White North
The Iconoclast said:
A few things.

1) I was not comparing Kostitsyn to Schremp based on last night's game. I was comparing the two based on Schremp's past play that I have seen. I see both of them being a slick player, but not playing well when the game picks up or the play intensifies. If either is to make it it will be on their scoring ability, and both have to learn to do more five on five.

2) You contradict yourself. You say that Kostitsyn was dominant against the Americans in one breath, then in the other you say how bad they have been throughout the tournament. Which is it? Did Kostitsyn play great, or did he take advantage of a team that was not very good? As I said, I thought the Americans played terrible and let him dangle.

3) Your statement that the Americans were lucky to beat the Swiss and the Russians is true. But what does that say about division? If the division is that weak should Kostitsyn not have had more points? Five points in four games is great, except four of them came in one game. Consistency gets you to the NHL, not scoring spurts against teams skating in their sleep.

That's my opinion based on what I saw. As I said I would have to see moregames to get a better gauge on the kid's ability, but based on what I saw last night I wasn't overly impressed. Putting up a bunch of points in one period doesn't impress me. Consistency impresses me.

In one period! what do you mean? he owned them in the first, he owned them in the second & & still played decent in the third when the Amercans were play a desperation game. One player can't do everything himself . Throw Phil Kessel on Belarus & their isn't a whisper about him on this board. Oh & the Americans weren't sleeping they just got beat by the better team this night plain & simple.

Patrice Bergeron Canada 3 5 8
Sidney Crosby Canada 6 1 7
Sergei Shirokov Russia 3 4 7
Rostislav Olesz Czech Republic 3 3 6
Evgeni Malkin Russia 1 5 6
Stefan Ruzicka Slovakia 3 2 5
Petr Vrana Czech Republic 3 2 5
Alexander Ovechkin Russia 3 2 5
Ryan Getzlaf Canada 2 3 5
Andrei Kastsitsyn Belarus 1 4 5

Last edited:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
The only new thought that I have coming out of this tournament is that, hey, maybe Kostitsyn isn't quite as much boom or bust as I thought. What I mean by that is that I always sort of envisioned him as a purely offensive player who wasn't going to do anything else for a team (if he reached his full potential). Granted, Belarus isn't exactly stocked with NHL-hopeful talent, but I do see Kostitsyn killing penalties, outmuscling opponents in the corners, throwing some strong-looking checks, driving to the net in this tournament. Those are all hopeful signs for me, because if anything, from the games I saw in Hamilton and now this tournament, his sheer offensive skill hasn't always looked to be as sparkling as I had envisioned.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
X-SHARKIE said:
Sergei is a lot leaner looking then his brother but he works hard and competes, has some good speed and looked to have some nice moves and moved the puck very well. I liked what I saw.

I agree. He is a fiesty guy for sure. Couple of instances were he went from one side of the ice in the offensive zone to the other to lay a big check on a USA player. On his own blueline he stepped up and stood Jake Dowell up. After Callahan, once again, crashed the Belorussian Goaltender, who by the way has the looongest last name, I just called him G-man, S. Kastitsyn got crazy jumpin over his goalie and giving Callahan some shots and punches. I really liked seeing that because not being able to see him before you prejudge and think he's going to be one-dimensional and offensive. He has a very light lower body, skinny, but that comes.

Andrei is a very good hockey player. He can fly, has great anticipation and hockey sense by picking that American pass up for a goal. This guy shoots, shoots, gets ready and shoots.

TML

Dec 13, 2003
Hamilton
Komisarek8 said:

No
No
I think he's a boom or bust prospect. If he lives up to the hype... first line winger. If he doesn't (very good chance he doesn't IMO) then he'll be one of those players that bolts back to his homeland.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I knew the haters would come out after this game... :shakehead

Come on, give respect where respect is due, Kostitsyn was physically dominant, he showed a great amount of accelaration with the puck, made a few nices passes to his teamate, Kostitsyn could of easily scored a hat trick, as for the poster who said that he was only dominant during the PP? that's funny, cause didin't he record all his points at even strength, I remember when he was on the PP, he controlled it, and just barely missed the top corner 3 times on Montoya...

Anyone saying they weren't impressed is just hating, I know Habs prospects aren't the most liked here, but don't tell me he wasn't the best player on the ice last night, cause it was clear to everyone watching, I knew the arguments about how poorly the US played would come out, but that's bull****, even though they played horribly, it was clear to see that Kostitsyn was a step ahead of everyone on the ice (along with Fritsche and Kessel and at times Stafford) it shouldn't of been that hard for them to figure out, Belarus offensively, revolves around Kostitsyn, shut him down and it's game over, and they couldn't do it...I don't know 5 points in 4 games, on a squad that has some heart but most players couldn't even crack it in the ECHL, he was named player of the game 2 out of the 4 games he's played in, good way to cap off a 5th WJHC appearance...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
TML said:
No
No
I think he's a boom or bust prospect. If he lives up to the hype... first line winger. If he doesn't (very good chance he doesn't IMO) then he'll be one of those players that bolts back to his homeland.

yeah sure :shakehead

TML

Dec 13, 2003
Hamilton
417 TO MTL said:
yeah sure :shakehead
I'd take Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Mike Richards, Patrice Bergeron, Anthony Stewart, or Eric Fehr over Kostitsyn.

He's a boom or bust type player... sorry if you disagree...

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Like I said, his shot is NHL ready. More than NHL ready. He would have one of the more deadly arsenal of shot in this league.

He's very strong on the puck, but has things to learn. He wasn't that bad offensively but didn't think the game very well. Once he learns english, I'm sure Jarvis is gonna learn him such things. The talent is obviously there. The fact is that every team would love to have a prospect with a upside this high. That's why there is no love for him. He's a boom or bust prospect and I think it is possible that he will bust, but Gainey knew it. That's why he picked Kyle Chipchura who is a safe pick, Higgins was a safe pick too.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
TML said:
I'd take Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Mike Richards, Patrice Bergeron, Anthony Stewart, or Eric Fehr over Kostitsyn.

He's a boom or bust type player... sorry if you disagree...

Kostitsyn upside is higher than any of these guys.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
IT is just one game.

No offense to anyone here, but I really doubt you can say he is going to be a 1st line winger in the NHL based on one game, elite center HOF based on one game. He didn't do much against both the Swiss and the Russians and neither game was Televised so unless you were there.... Shoot, 1/2 way through the AHL season, everyone was talking about how over hyped he is.

However, I would never write a kid off either. Based on one game, he was the best player on the ice. Does this mean that he will have better carears then anyone else on the ice, only if you are a Montreal fan w/ unreal expectations.

Time will tell... And no, I don't think he is a boom or bust player.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Frenzy1 said:
IT is just one game.

No offense to anyone here, but I really doubt you can say he is going to be a 1st line winger in the NHL based on one game, elite center HOF based on one game. He didn't do much against both the Swiss and the Russians and neither game was Televised so unless you were there.... Shoot, 1/2 way through the AHL season, everyone was talking about how over hyped he is.

However, I would never write a kid off either. Based on one game, he was the best player on the ice. Does this mean that he will have better carears then anyone else on the ice, only if you are a Montreal fan w/ unreal expectations.

Time will tell... And no, I don't think he is a boom or bust player.

Good post...as for the games vs. the swiss and the russians, he did win player of the game for Belarus in one of those games, so you can't really say he didn't do anything...

And that boom or bust label is bull****, it's just the "cool" thing to say when referring to Kostitsyn, there's not really any merit to it

TML

Dec 13, 2003
Hamilton
mytor4 said:
THERE IS NO DOUBT IN MY MIND THE GUY THAT MADE THIS QUOTE HAS TO BE A LOSER LEAF FAN. THEY SEEM TO BE THE MOST JEALOUS OF THE HABS PROSPECT
SINCE THEY HAVE VERY FEW IF ANY GOOD PROSPECT AND NONE COMPARABLE TO THE LIKES OF KOSTITSYN.
Me a loser for voicing my opinion? :rolleyes: Easy on the CAPS buddy...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
TML said:
Me a loser for voicing my opinion? :rolleyes: Easy on the CAPS buddy...

Just to ask TML, what exactly in Kostitsyn's game, leads you to believe that he will be a boom or bust prospect, is it based on solid facts that you can back up and make a solid argument, or is it based on what everyone says about Kostitsyn on these boards...seems to me like it's the cool thing to say when speaking of Kostitsyn "he's a boom or bust prospect" it's like that saying is attached to his name here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->