Thoughts on Julien's benching...

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I do think the clock is ticking on Peverley with the Bruins,unless he comes back very strong,and even then.

i don't know if he's being scrutinized like you say. I just think he having a bad year. Yes that's a problem. I think Chia will wait for him to turn it around. He's a good player.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
i don't know if he's being scrutinized like you say. I just think he having a bad year. Yes that's a problem. I think Chia will wait for him to turn it around. He's a good player.

He's a role player, and exactly the type of player we'd be trying to pick up at the deadline.

I'm more worried about players that are supposed to be our go-to guys under performing.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
He's a role player, and exactly the type of player we'd be trying to pick up at the deadline.

I'm more worried about players that are supposed to be our go-to guys under performing.

When names like Iginla and Alfdredsson are tossed around,they're talking about more than a role player,they're seeking help. Of course,Peverley,Spooner and a 1st for Iginla is a bit much.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If I'm Calgary, I'm licking my chops. They're basically the ones with chips to trade away. Everyone else is still in it.

thornton22

Mar 13, 2013
Boston
I never understood his handling of the Rask/TT tandem either. He'd go to TT for 12 straight,give one to Rask,who'd have a shutout and then go right back to TT. This one was based on one goal 2 games ago.

Well, in hindsight, it didn't work. I'm not sure if it was based on that one goal (which I hope it wasn't, because that would be an extremely dumb reason. Punish one of our best players for letting in one soft goal that, in his defense, the defense didn't even try to clear.) or just because Khudobin has been great lately, or what, but it wasn't a good move. Khudobin is an amazing back-up goalie but Rask is our #1 and tonight's loss has proven it. Also I'm not blaming the loss entirely on Khudobin, but that 3rd goal which killed us should have been stopped.

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
His benchings have been puzzling to me as of late for sure, but he knows hockey better than I do.

I guess when you're in a slump like we are, you try anything to get the scoring going again. Personally, I'd prefer a shake up of the lines, but again, he knows his players and the game better than I do.

disfigured

Mar 29, 2003
Lowell MA
I never understood his handling of the Rask/TT tandem either. He'd go to TT for 12 straight,give one to Rask,who'd have a shutout and then go right back to TT. This one was based on one goal 2 games ago.

His benchings have been puzzling to me as of late for sure, but he knows hockey better than I do.

I guess when you're in a slump like we are, you try anything to get the scoring going again. Personally, I'd prefer a shake up of the lines, but again, he knows his players and the game better than I do.

CJ isn't good at making decisions outside his comfort zone. And that comfort zone is putting the best players on the ice to win. It's why he often overplayed TT, and why we see Pandolfo in the line up now. Pandolfo is the "safe bet".

Look at his shootout lineups in totality. His hunches are just awful about who might have a hot hand. Time outs? He either never uses them or right when you think he should, he doesn't (two quick goals against for instance).

Most of the time CJ has been here, when the team gets in a funk, he'd just let them work it out themselves. Anyone remember the year we sank out of the P.O's till there was only a dozen games left. He didn't bench anyone, didn't scratch anyone, hell he barely reduces ice time except with the most obvious inexperienced players.

He should just stick to what he does best, and not try things outside his comfortzone or experience. His scratches hardly ever work because he barely ever does it. In the years he's been here, I can count the motivational scratches on a single hand.

I'm not really criticizing CJ, just bewildered that he'd step outside his box. He should just do what he's always done. Let them get so disgusted with themselves that the players take upon themselves to right the ship.

God knows I (perhaps we), wanted him to take more action in the past, and now that he does I want him to stop. ;).

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006

Especially with how the team is playing defensively; there's no way you can't "benched" Rask/AK on a one goal thing. I mean, when you look at the number of good looks our opponents have on our net, you can't blame them to allow a goal at some point. the setup of our blueline need to be a focus point in the off-season.

j44thor

Mar 27, 2008
During the pregame interview with Beers;Julien:"Rich has struggled this year and we've tried a number of things to get him going. Sometimes they need a jolt and hopefully this is the jolt that'll do it. He's been bad and we know he's a good player".

What exactly has Julien done to get Rich going besides swapping out a variety of trash on his wings? If anything give Rich a shot with Campbell and Paille who are both clearly much better than what he has played with all season. Which isn't saying much because they are both accurately 4th liners.

Pevs is a good 3rd liner who can actually create some offense. The same can't be said about Kelly/Caron/Pandawful.

bostonphoenix

Jan 13, 2011
Please sit Horton and Lucic.

Peverley is doing fine for a 3rd liner, hopefully he does become more productive. But so be it. He at least gives 110% every night.

Lucic and horton who are getting paid big money are useless. Make them the example. I dont understand what they are doing.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Send a message??? Wanna send a good one, I go to Horty and say

"hey Nathan, were going to go with someone else in your spot, we want you to get comfortable up in the press box for a while, please text us when your heart and drive to play hard reappears"

Guy`s played with less passion than Kovalev. I can`t stand Lindy Ruff, but one thing he had the crutons to do was sit a 7 million dollar defenseman for a few games. Horty is sleepwalking

And Looch doesn`t seem one bit affected by our 4th line winger wearing #20 has more goals and why???? Um, because he puts the puck on net regardless of where he is on the ice

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
They overrate Pevs....He is an adequate third liner with flash but with obvious holes in his game. He has an erratic shot and limited vision......If he had only average or slightly above average speed I doubt he would be in the league frankly. That siad I honestly don't think Gretzky or Mario could do much with his linemates who make bad AHLERs. Edit make that hockey sense not vision....He wouldn't be on the pp-even our dreadful pp if he couldn't see the ice. No matter how you look at him though the benching was a mistake. If he is overrated by management he can only do a little better. If he isn't overrated then you look at injuries, playing out of postion or linemates.......and he is both playing out postion and with truly lousy linemates.

imo
Above looks like excuses. He's a third liner yes, his linemate (not mates) look awful. But that doesn't excuse his lack of effort along the boards. Watch last year and this year, when was the last time you saw him beat someone to the puck? get in the mix and come out with the puck?

The game in his own end has been belowpar for HIS standards. He's not the same player he was last year or the year before.

This team plays a balanced game. players aren't being judged against each other, but judged to their own mold.

Is Peverley the only guy that needs some time? Probably not, but you have to start somewhere and might as well start with the guy who's been the 180 of where he was at his finest with the the bruins.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
DJ Bean ‏@DJ_Bean 1m
And here come the changes: Marchand-Krejci-Horton, Paille-Bergeron-Seguin, Lucic-Peverley-Caron, Merlot. #Bruins

those lines are horrible

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
DJ Bean ‏@DJ_Bean 1m
And here come the changes: Marchand-Krejci-Horton, Paille-Bergeron-Seguin, Lucic-Peverley-Caron, Merlot. #Bruins

those lines are horrible

Splitting up Marchand and Bergeron would be a mistake. Same with Lucic and Krejci, IMO. At least Pandolfo is now with Merlot.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
DJ Bean ‏@DJ_Bean 1m

those lines are horrible

looks like he just threw all the names in a hat and picked them out. SHOCKED that he would separate Bergeron-Marchand. That is the one pair I would keep together.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
DJ Bean ‏@DJ_Bean 1m

those lines are horrible

More of a fan of

Lucic-Krejci-Marchand (Hopefully marchand with his style of play can get Lucic involved physicallly)

Peverley-Bergeron-Caron/Spooner (Stick Bergeron with the rookie forwards who are questionable defensively but are showing strong signs offensively)

Paille-Seguin-Horton (The speed of Paille and Seguin should get Horton going)

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Looks like it's they're having fun out there.

Mike Loftus ‏@MLoftus_Ledger 2m
%Bruins coach Claude Julien splits up team for half-rink games of shinny: Everyone's gotta shoot the opposite way. Righties shoot lefty, etc

Matt Kalman ‏@TheBruinsBlog 2m
No way #leafs are having this much fun today. #Bruins doing right thing keeping things in perspective. #BruinsTalk

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Since this seems to be the Julien thread and I don't want to start a new one....

I think there is a disconnect between the players that the Bruins are drafting and developing and trading for and the team's style of play.

The young guys...Hamilton, Seguin, Marchand, and the next ones coming Krug, Spooner, and Koko are all offensive-minded players.

Something is going to have to give...either Julien will try to mould all of them into Chris Kelly's or he will learn to adapt to the players that he has.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
DJ Bean ‏@DJ_Bean 1m

those lines are horrible

Frickin' disastrous. This reeks of blaming things on comfort and effort instead of doing real critical thinking of what actually works together.

Also, DJ is wrong, that's not the Merlot line, Paille is up and Pandolfo is on it. That line isn't going to bring energy with someone who is slow and not physical.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Frickin' disastrous. This reeks of blaming things on comfort and effort instead of doing real critical thinking of what actually works together.

Also, DJ is wrong, that's not the Merlot line, Paille is up and Pandolfo is on it. That line isn't going to bring energy with someone who is slow and not physical.

Well... Clode has to play with the cards he has in hand... What's he suppose to do? Wait for the ship to sink?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->