Thoughts on Bouwmeester

lafite

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
According to Kyprios, he is having recurring hip problems which might even end his career. Too big of a cap hit anyway.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Why should anyone give any assets to get a player who signed FA money and subsequently underperformed his contract, and especially so now that the cap is going down? If anything, he has negative value, and Calgary should be willing to give up assets to get rid of him. If so, I'm a taker. :)

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Why should anyone give any assets to get a player who signed FA money and subsequently underperformed his contract, and especially so now that the cap is going down? If anything, he has negative value, and Calgary should be willing to give up assets to get rid of him. If so, I'm a taker. :)

I'm perfectly willing to give up picks/prospects for him, I just think any package dealt for him should reflect the fact that, like you said, he's got an overly big contract and the Flames regretted signing it after the first year, so guys like Zib, Silf and Lehner are off the table.

jasonjim

Nov 1, 2006
OTTAWA
If we want a Bouwmeester why don't we just sign a top 4 defenseman to a 6.6M deal in the offseason? Offer a defenseman like Streit 6.6M instead of trading major assets for an overpaid top 4 defender

We have too many good defensemen for next year already. No need to try and buy or trade for more since we are already in a surplus position with defensemen.

The Fuhr*

Calgary should eat 2.6 of his cap hit and make him a 4 million dollar defenseman for his new team to maximize trade value.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We have too many good defensemen for next year already. No need to try and buy or trade for more since we are already in a surplus position with defensemen.

I completely agree with you. I was not arguing we should sign a defenseman like Streit for 6.6M a season, I was merely suggesting it would be a better move than trading major assets to acquire a similar player that is overpaid for what he brings.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
No to J-Bo. If you want to reach the cap floor just throw money at Perry until he swims in it. In his pool. At his house. In Ottawa.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I'm perfectly willing to give up picks/prospects for him, I just think any package dealt for him should reflect the fact that, like you said, he's got an overly big contract and the Flames regretted signing it after the first year, so guys like Zib, Silf and Lehner are off the table.

Agreed. If the price is reasonable I'm on board. I love guys that can skate. He's solid. It's not his fault he's spent his entire career on crap teams. He did win back to back World Championships when given the opportunity to perform with decent players.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

Thank you, this pretty much sums up my view of him. I think we can safely give up a couple of B-List prospects, especially if Calgary eats part of his salary. I think what is holding teams back from trading for him is he seems like a pretty good candidate for a buyout next summer. And if he isn't bought out, you can bet that a different d-man somewhere with a similar skill set and a bloated contract will be.

I'd love to see him in a Sens uniform (sorry haters), but I just can't see it with the cap dropping and a few buyouts coming this summer. It makes very little sense to give up anything substantial to get him right now.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
Bouwmeester won't be bought out. He only has one year left on his deal after this season, and he still plays upwards of 25 minutes a game and is a good defensive defenceman. He's not a #1 defenceman, but he's easily a #2/#3 guy. Is he overpaid? Sure, probably by $1M given the contracts defencemen are getting nowadays. However, he's still a very good player, and he would be a great addition to a team like Ottawa.

He's also having a very good season. Over a full season, he's on a 41-point pace with solid defensive play. Which team wouldn't want such a player?

WhiteLight*

Not a fan, but if anyone can straighten him out it's MacLean. I'd be interested to see what he can do here. The talent is obviously there.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
I'm not a big fan of Bouwmeester, but he is a good hockey player. I think he would be great in Ottawa and paired with Cowen. One guy at 6'4" and the other guy at 6'5", both can skate quite well and are mobile, both are good defensively, and both can pass the puck. That would be a solid 2nd pairing. Bouwmeester can also play either defensive position.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Don't we already have a Bouwmeester clone in Wiercioch, sure Boumeester has two extra letters in his name but Wiercioch is a 6'4" defenceman with pretty good wheels who can shoot the puck & is learning to play defence better. Boumeester had his problems on defence in his earlier career as well as I remember. IMO Wiercioch is going to be even better next season after playing this well this yr & I think he sticks with Ottawa out of training camp next yr. I think he has earned himself a contract, as has Gryba I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad