Thoughts on Barry Trotz, Lane Lambert, Mitch Korn (Isles fan coming in peace)

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Hello Nashville hockey fans!

Isles have hired a number of former preds alumni. For longtime fans this is a surreal moment, as although nobody is perfect, these people seem far more competent than any coach we have had since, well basically since your current coach.

Curious what you guys think of your former coaching staff. I would appreciate a "scouting report", good and bad :)

I have always enjoyed the Preds and wish you guys success going forward. Cheers

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Lambert is the only one of those that I still have questions about. Korn is a goalie whisperer. Mason put up ok starting numbers under his tutelage .. Vokoun excelled ... Rinne flirted with greatness. Trotz has a reputation for being defensively minded but has shown, that when he has true offensive talent, that he can employ a system where it can succeed ... Kariya, the first few years of Dumont, Sullivan, that Ovechkin guy. What Trotz does expect is players to play within a system and not completely forget that they have responsibilities at that end of the ice where a guy dressed like them has a lot of pads and a mask on all game.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Isles fans will be happy with Trotz. Hes going to find a way to make your team a winner, but if there is a dearth of talent be prepared for a lot of games that will be called "boring" by other fans. Korn got a ton of credit, rightfully so, for the Preds string of goalies success stories, although the continued success of Rinne and the (thus far) successful development of Saros after he left means it wasnt all him, and Holtby certainly struggled intermittently under his tutelage. Will be telling to see how Grubauer does away from Korn.

I dont know enough about Lambert to comment, other than to marvel at his amazing flow...

Reactions: Thrasymachus

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
Just love the continued Korn myth that he is like head and shoulders above anyone else.

I think you know what you get. I think Trotz and staff will build a solid foundation for you team and take them to a certain level and then you can find another coach to take them to the next level just like we did here. With all the great talent of Kariya, Sullivan, and Dumont among others we got clobbered in the first round of the playoffs and never got past the second round.

Yeah, I know his team won, but I think Ovechkin and Co. just had the team that even Trotz could not hold down for this year...and let's not forget the Caps weren't exactly sad to see him go in spite of the few Trotz and Korn worshippers here.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Just love the continued Korn myth that he is like head and shoulders above anyone else.

I think you know what you get. I think Trotz and staff will build a solid foundation for you team and take them to a certain level and then you can find another coach to take them to the next level just like we did here. With all the great talent of Kariya, Sullivan, and Dumont among others we got clobbered in the first round of the playoffs and never got past the second round.

Yeah, I know his team won, but I think Ovechkin and Co. just had the team that even Trotz could not hold down for this year...and let's not forget the Caps weren't exactly sad to see him go in spite of the few Trotz and Korn worshippers here.

Worshippers? Holy excrement.

Yes, the team lost in early rounds. One of those was the only matchup of teams that tied for the greatest number of wins in the conference to meet in the first round. Context ... try it. If your position held up to scrutiny then not only would Kariya have failed to put up significant numbers but Ovechkin's performance would have dropped off the radar. Neither happened.

Trotz is a coach that expects structure. He, contrary to delusions, isn't a coach that prevents players from playing offense.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
No emotion assessment of the Trotz, Lambert, Korn coaching combination ... two President's Trophies in Washington ... eliminated in the playoffs both times by the eventual Cup winners. Every season over 100 points. Second round or later in all four years with the Caps ... twice eliminated in the second round by the Pens (both seasons the Pens won the Cup), once eliminated by the Rangers in the second round, one Cup winning season. 15-16 Adams Trophy.

No Presidents Trophies in Nashville. Missed the playoffs in three of their final six seasons. Trotz and Korn coached on the 51 win team that met the 51 win Sharks in the first round ... Lambert was still coaching in the AHL. Lambert in four years as an AHL head coach made the playoffs all four years.

It comes down to realistic expectations. In a 31 team league, half the teams make the playoffs in any given season. The number of teams to make the second round or later in season after season is low ... Trotz has second round appearances in four straight... six of the past eight seasons.

For comparison .. Lavi has three straight seasons with second round or later appearances with one loss in the SCF in that time. Over the past nine seasons he's coached ... he's made it to the finals twice (lost both times), the second round four times, lost in the first round once, missed the playoffs once after a full season, and was fired during one season. No Adams Trophies in that time.

Reactions: adsfan

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
some good feedback here, thanks guys

it sounds like they are somewhat over-hyped but nevertheless competent as I assumed. Islander fans are very pleased so ignore the warts, I appreciate you guys giving me a heads up on some of these guys' (sounds like particularly Lambert?) limitations as well.

Islanders have had abysmal luck with goalies so hopefully Korn cant help us with some of his mojo

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
you guys got some great ones in trotz and korn. don't know squat about lambert as said above except his flow.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
some good feedback here, thanks guys

it sounds like they are somewhat over-hyped but nevertheless competent as I assumed. Islander fans are very pleased so ignore the warts, I appreciate you guys giving me a heads up on some of these guys' (sounds like particularly Lambert?) limitations as well.

Islanders have had abysmal luck with goalies so hopefully Korn cant help us with some of his mojo
I wouldn't call them "over-hyped" (well Lambert maybe, IDK) but Trotz has a knack for making the most out of what he has. It really sucks, obviously, that Tavares left because I was really curious to see what he could do with him and Barzal. About the goalies in New York, Korn will certainly have a big test in front of him. I believe that if a goalie consistently struggles with him around, he's just not very good. My friend overheard him tell someone once that there simply wasn't much he could do with (Anders) Lindback. Hopefully the Isles don't find themselves in that scenario.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I wouldn't call them "over-hyped" (well Lambert maybe, IDK) but Trotz has a knack for making the most out of what he has. It really sucks, obviously, that Tavares left because I was really curious to see what he could do with him and Barzal. About the goalies in New York, Korn will certainly have a big test in front of him. I believe that if a goalie consistently struggles with him around, he's just not very good. My friend overheard him tell someone once that there simply wasn't much he could do with (Anders) Lindback. Hopefully the Isles don't find themselves in that scenario.
thanks - Tavares leaving sucks immeasurably but it is almost equaled out by our dramatic front office improvement

crazy to say but I am optimistic moving forward. Without JT we aren't gonna be aiming for a stanley cup anytime soon, but with Barzal it is almost like a do-over, this time with people who hopefully won't mess everything up

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Best way to describe I think, they are going to give you a chance to make the playoffs every year, even with some suspect teams. Really just comes down to how hard the players want to work and if they are willing to buy into his system. Trotz does what he needs to do to win games, but they aren't always entertaining to watch.

Reactions: PredsV82

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

After watching Lindback play in the home part of 56 games last season in Milwaukee, he is a good goalie, but not a great goalie. His side to side movement is a little slow, which hurts him at the NHL level, where they are more snipers than in the AHL. He also has some issues picking up long shots (Blue line and beyond) and high arcing shots, which makes me think that he is near sighted. He isn't bad at any one thing which you might be able to fix, he just has lots of little things that pile up. He is good at dots to inside the blue line shots and great at stopping shots from the face off dots and in. I don't remember seeing a goalie as good as him in a goal mouth scramble, but how many of those do you get in a game?

I can see Korn's point of view.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
Worshippers? Holy excrement.

Yes, the team lost in early rounds. One of those was the only matchup of teams that tied for the greatest number of wins in the conference to meet in the first round. Context ... try it. If your position held up to scrutiny then not only would Kariya have failed to put up significant numbers but Ovechkin's performance would have dropped off the radar. Neither happened.

Trotz is a coach that expects structure. He, contrary to delusions, isn't a coach that prevents players from playing offense.

"One of those was the only matchup of teams that tied for the greatest number of wins in the conference to meet in the first round. Context ... try it. "

What context do you need? We got clobbered. Context is an excuse for Trotz gets frequently outcoached in the playoffs.

Here is how I describe Trotz....if I have an expansion team or a team needing rebuilding I call Trotz. True, he will build a solid foundation. His "structure" is fine for the regular season. But come playoff time, he usually just has no second act, no flexibility that is required in a playoff setting.

Trotz is a good B coach. And, all the context I need is, yet again, Washington sure didn't try to keep him there even after winning a Cup. That is all the context you need.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
"One of those was the only matchup of teams that tied for the greatest number of wins in the conference to meet in the first round. Context ... try it. "

What context do you need? We got clobbered. Context is an excuse for Trotz gets frequently outcoached in the playoffs.

Here is how I describe Trotz....if I have an expansion team or a team needing rebuilding I call Trotz. True, he will build a solid foundation. His "structure" is fine for the regular season. But come playoff time, he usually just has no second act, no flexibility that is required in a playoff setting.

Trotz is a good B coach. And, all the context I need is, yet again, Washington sure didn't try to keep him there even after winning a Cup. That is all the context you need.

How sure are you that Trotz wanted to stay? He had the sword of Damocles over his head the entire season. No extension offered. The Caps had already made their post Trotz plans and had a coach in waiting. Why would Barry be excited to stay even though he won a Cup? I'd say the departure was more him than the Caps and I dont blame him a bit.

Trotz now has one Cup. Exactly the same number as Laviolette.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005

A series of one goal games is "clobbered". Please inform Merriam-Webster so that they can alter their next edition.

Washington did try to keep him ... using the framework of a contract they had in place that spelled out the pay raise for an extension year that did not account for winning a Cup ... or multiple Presidents Trophies.

Maybe looking at each individual matchup on its own merits is the wrong way to look at things ... but I'll continue to do so. Understanding true strengths and weaknesses at a given point in time results in context ... and in sports, just as in conveying ideas, context matters.

Good day.

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Yes, you're getting a top caliber coach. And Korn has had nothing but stellar success in his career with many goaltenders.

Laviolette has been good for this organization, primarily convincing Poile to finally pull the trigger on more offensive players like Johanssen, Neal, etc.

If my recollection serves me correct, Poile has drafted two players who scored 30 goals for the Predators in his 20 year history.. Hornqvuist (once) and Ardvisson (once)... horrible track record.

Barry did everything in Washington his detractors said he couldn't do... 1) Manage a superstar, 2) Groom top young offensive talent (Kuznestsov), and 3) Win a Cup. That's why this tread is so quiet-- along with our postseason flop.

Poile still has plenty to prove. Beyond his forward track record, his moves these year were highly questionable. Turris was a total turd in the playoffs, and Hartman was benched. We gave up most of our young assets for those guys, and we have little to show for it.

Not sure where the Islanders stand without Tavares, but Trotz is likely to get the most of your roster.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
You mean, David Poile, the winningest GM in NHL history? Or some other David Poile?

And I guess your definition of "little to show for it " includes the franchise's first ever division title and Presdents Trophy??

Pretty hard to take you seriously when you post silliness such as this

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
No emotion assessment of the Trotz, Lambert, Korn coaching combination ... two President's Trophies in Washington ... eliminated in the playoffs both times by the eventual Cup winners. Every season over 100 points. Second round or later in all four years with the Caps ... twice eliminated in the second round by the Pens (both seasons the Pens won the Cup), once eliminated by the Rangers in the second round, one Cup winning season. 15-16 Adams Trophy.

No Presidents Trophies in Nashville. Missed the playoffs in three of their final six seasons. Trotz and Korn coached on the 51 win team that met the 51 win Sharks in the first round ... Lambert was still coaching in the AHL. Lambert in four years as an AHL head coach made the playoffs all four years.

It comes down to realistic expectations. In a 31 team league, half the teams make the playoffs in any given season. The number of teams to make the second round or later in season after season is low ... Trotz has second round appearances in four straight... six of the past eight seasons.

For comparison .. Lavi has three straight seasons with second round or later appearances with one loss in the SCF in that time. Over the past nine seasons he's coached ... he's made it to the finals twice (lost both times), the second round four times, lost in the first round once, missed the playoffs once after a full season, and was fired during one season. No Adams Trophies in that time.

In Lavys defense, he deserved the Jack Adams in 2001-2002

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
You mean, David Poile, the winningest GM in NHL history? Or some other David Poile?
And by far the longest tenured GM in the NHL.

Poile has mostly been a post season flop. He's made it conference finals twice in 35 years. He has plenty to "prove" in the postseason.

We had a great Cinderella run in 2017, but he burned a ton of good assets for guys that were absolute post season flops. He still doesn't know how to get over the final hump.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
And by far the longest tenured GM in the NHL.

Poile has mostly been a post season flop. He's made it conference finals twice in 35 years. He has plenty to "prove" in the postseason.

We had a great Cinderella run in 2017, but he burned a ton of good assets for guys that were absolute post season flops. He still doesn't know how to get over the final hump.

Whatever dude. The thread is about Trotz anyway so I'm not going to bother arguing with you.

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Whatever dude. The thread is about Trotz anyway so I'm not going to bother arguing with you.
Trotz's tenure here goes hand in hand with Poile. But whatever dude, just keep posting whatever.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
30 teams each year fail to win the Cup under the current model. 28-29 (depending on the season) fail to reach the finals. When you set that as the standard, then most teams fail.

The most one can logically hope for is a competitive team on a consistent basis. As a coach, Trotz brings that. As the coach of the Preds, he delivered a conference leading (well, tied) 51 win season only to lose in the first round to the other team with 51 regular season wins (neither team with the most wins in the conference won the conference title that season). He took Washington to multiple Presidents Trophy seasons and a Cup win.

In the past eight seasons he as six playoff appearances, all making it to the second round or later ... the later being a Cup win. He's the 5th all-time most winning NHL coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad