Advice: Thoughts on ADM Youth Hockey Model for 4 year old?

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
My Kid is 4 years old and is interested in Hockey. There is a ADM Youth Hockey Model that starts at the age of 4. Do you guys have any thoughts on the ADM model? My son really hasn't started to skate yet, so we thought perhaps the ISI Learn to Skate program pre-skate group (ages 4-6) that just teaches basic ice skating would be better first and then move onto the ADM model?

Thoughts?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
For the benefit of those who don't know, what is the ADM model? What is the ISI Learn to Skate?

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
For the benefit of those who don't know, what is the ADM model? What is the ISI Learn to Skate?

Sorry guys, I come from an acronym filled world:

ADM= American Development Model It was put forth by USA Hockey as a new approach in developing hockey players

ISI= Ice Skating Institute - Learn to Skate program, basically it starts you offer with the basics of skating

Surgeline

Jan 10, 2012
OH
X2 on getting him skating lessons first. I coach Mite ADM and we had an unexpectedly high amount of players sign up this year. Many need a lot of help in the skating department and our organization is looking into changing how we are going to do things going forward. We are developing a road map for parents and new players and will be laying out what we feel the minimum skill set for ADM participation should be. USAH does have some guidelines working in conjunction with USFSA but many groups allow anyone who can stand on skates to join. We want all kids to be able to play and don't want them to quit because they can't keep up or get frustrated. ADM is all about skill development but the very basics need to be in place. We have a tremendous range of skater skill levels and it is a real challenge to make practice effective, fun and to not have kids getting lost. Luckily we have enough coaches to be able to break the kids up by skill level. I am a big advocate of ADM, many are not, especially parents of kids who have just jumped to squirts. They fail to realize the big picture.. it's long term development and the windows of optimum training for specific skills need to be utilized or the kid will have a lot harder time learning(or unlearning) these skills outside the age window.
It can't be said enough, hockey is all about skating, if you want him to succeed and have more fun get him into learn to skate asap. If he starts and wants to continue don't worry about puck and stick related stuff for now, put your $ and time into skating, the rest will come later. Agility, balance,control and speed (directional change) are what is important at 8U. The more ice time the better, get out there with your kids at open skates and stick and pucks and have FUN!

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Thank you!

Yeah definitely thinking the 'learn to skate' is the way to go, then slide into the ADM.

I know there are other options (Like getting him into 'squirts') right away, but I'd rather my kid develops the right fundamentals before going into competitive 'team' play

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
My Kid is 4 years old and is interested in Hockey. There is a ADM Youth Hockey Model that starts at the age of 4. Do you guys have any thoughts on the ADM model? My son really hasn't started to skate yet, so we thought perhaps the ISI Learn to Skate program pre-skate group (ages 4-6) that just teaches basic ice skating would be better first and then move onto the ADM model?

Thoughts?

If you can get your kid in skating lessons, do it. Then do it more and more and more if he/she doesn't get discouraged. It will pay dividends down the road.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Putting in my $.02 as a USA Hockey certified coach.

The ADM is the way to go as kids jump into hockey, especially for that age group. For those who don't know, the very simplified approach is that in ADM 8 and under kids play side-board to side-board rather than the full length of the ice.

The main takeaways USA Hockey gives it's coaches about the ADM games/practices is that it GREATLY increases the puck touches per game each player has and increases their creativity, stick handling, and passing as it requires more of each since the players are closer together as opposed to when you have young kids chasing each other all over the ice. Basically it makes the playing surface size proportional to the kids size and strength.

There are some fringe benefits too, as it also can help lessen the cost for parents as up to 3x the amount of kids can be on the ice at the same time. I think it's a fantastic model.

buddhaknows

Apr 20, 2014
Putting in my $.02 as a USA Hockey certified coach.

The ADM is the way to go as kids jump into hockey, especially for that age group. For those who don't know, the very simplified approach is that in ADM 8 and under kids play side-board to side-board rather than the full length of the ice.

The main takeaways USA Hockey gives it's coaches about the ADM games/practices is that it GREATLY increases the puck touches per game each player has and increases their creativity, stick handling, and passing as it requires more of each since the players are closer together as opposed to when you have young kids chasing each other all over the ice. Basically it makes the playing surface size proportional to the kids size and strength.

There are some fringe benefits too, as it also can help lessen the cost for parents as up to 3x the amount of kids can be on the ice at the same time. I think it's a fantastic model.

and to add my $.02 on top of Cowbells - The ADM is set up to be stations based. This means that there are up to 6+ stations doing different drills with skating technique, puck handling, and small games going on at the same time. After 10 minutes at each station the kids move to the next station. This keeps kids on the move while having lots of fun. At 4 years old skating lessons may not hold his attention and he may lose interest. I'm a USA hockey coach and have a daughter in USFSA. USFSA is organized by level and mixed with different ages. As you progress in learn to skate you move up to the next level. My other daughter hated USFSA and left to go right into ADM at 5 years of age. It just couldn't keep her attention.

With ADM we teach skating too especially with 4 year old kids. Ultimately it really is up to the OP.

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
Yeah things changed a lot and I like it better. I volunteer with the Jr. Mites in my town and they have about 6 different stations ranging from follow the leader to freeze tag and even a puck handling drill or two.

Surgeline

Jan 10, 2012
OH
Here's a link to USA Hockey's learn to skate program.

http://www.usahockey.com/page/show/893676-learn-to-skate

If you're an 8U coach look at their evaluation sheet you'll probably see that a lot of your players could not pass level two. We have players who cannot do inside edge swizzles. can't do them. We have a dedicated skating coach in our group along with the other coaches. The only issue i have with high rep station based drill, in terms of skating skills, is that I see a lot of coaches not stopping kids and showing them the right way, the wrong way, and then the right way again. We'll do power turn drills and over half the kids will go around the cones on one foot. Again, and again.. and they aren't being "taught" , they are just blowing through the drill. I know this is a coaching issue, but to pull a kid out and work one on one, or stop the squad as a whole, slows things down and these kids have about a 7 second attention span. It's tough to find that balance of throughput and proper instruction.We don't hold hard and fast to having all players be able to meet that level two requirement and probably wont, but we want them to at least be able to stop (any way, snowplow, hockey whatever ), turn and be able to c- cut. So that's why I recommend a learn to skate and even a few private lesson if you can swing it. It is very hard for a little one to concentrate on skating instruction while 8 year olds are goofing next to them trying to go bar down off their backhand while skating backwards. Again, I'm all for ADM but it's not basic/beginner learn to skate nor should it be.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I would like, for my own sanity, to say I should have really emphasized the "as they jump into hockey" part of my post. Skating skills are the foundation of hockey, and shouldn't be ignored... But if you have 2 choices in programs where 1 is ADM based and 1 isn't, I'd pick ADM 1000% of the time assuming everything else is equal/near equal.

The best thing you can do for a kid that young is some skating instruction and public skating, and then talk to the people running the programs you want to join to see how they would fit in and what they recommend. Unfortunately none of us here know the exact skill level of your kid, the local programs, etc.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Thanks everyone once again. There is a 'learn to skate' program that will really help with him just learning how to skate. Thankfully the learn to skate and ADM hockey program is under the same 'building' so I will definitely be talking to the ADM coaches.

Thanks again guys :)

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
If there is a hockey ADM program that starts at 4, just stick him in that. Because all the other 4 year olds in it will be in the same place. The practices are station-based, and the kids are usually split up roughly by age/size/skill level, so he will be fine and with people at his skill level. :)

Let him go at his own pace and let him come off the ice if he gets tired. He's still little and you want to keep everything positive. Have fun!!

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
And I just noticed you're in Seattle. I coach with SnoKing if that's where you're headed and you can start him in the Hockey1 program, no problem!

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Thank you Beth! We don't actually live in Seattle, actually live in Pierce County. Sno-King is at the Kent Valley correct? I know the program there is exceptional.

We actually live about 15 minutes away from Sprinker Rec Center, which is where the ADM model would be at.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Oh, okay. SnoKing is Renton and Kirkland. Kent has its own hockey association. You would be at Tacoma Junior Hockey Association. Have fun!!

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
ADM is great for little kids. I would really recommend he can skate and stop on his own though before doing hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad