Thoughts on 7d-11forward lineups

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's the way the Senators have been going this year.

It depends a little on the usage of your 4th line. Our 12th forward is a rookie so Boucher is reticent to give him big minutes, especially on the road when you don't get the line match-ups.

The argument in favour of 7D is that, if a D-man goes down, and they typically play more minutes, it's more of an impact in that the icetime has to be shared among 5 other players.

Whereas, when a forward goes down, there are 11 other players who can shoulder the load.

Another argument in favour is that, if a d-man goes down, you don't necessarily have to keep switching defensive pairings around but rather keep 2 pairings untouched with the 3rd filled with the replacement defenceman. With 5 D, often you see every defenceman playing with every other defenceman after awhile because of the double shifting, and they may or may not have good chemistry together.

Finally, on the Senators, we have puck-moving and physical 3rd pairing d-men occupying that 6th/7th slot so depending on the situation we can use one or the other.

Depending on how your team is structured, and how often the 4th line plays, it may be less desirable.

As Karlsson settles in and the pairings are established, you may see Ottawa move more solidly into 12/6. But I can see it as something that Boucher moves back to from time to time depending on the situation.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm not a big fan of leaving yourself vunerable if a forward goes down but I'm not a great strategic hockey mind either so what are your thoughts?
Really depends on your roster and where you're pulling the F from. No problem in theory though. Gives D some breathing room and gives you the chance to double shift your talented forwards.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
It's been working for the Lightning. But it's a short-term approach at best IMO. I feel like in our case it's a way to ease a couple of defensman into the NHL.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Curious as I've hardly heard of this...

Do lightning, Sens and any other teams find that their forwards are getting gassed late in the game or when their double shifting? Thus resulting in odd man rushes against them?

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I prefer the 12-6 makeup. For defensive pairings chemistry is key. I don't like juggeling players on defense.

The best thing imo is if you have a Matheiu Dandendault on your team. He could play both defense and wing.

The Ducks used to do this with Sheldon Brookbank as well. I don't know why teams don't try this more often.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
teams need to start having a guy who is capable of bottom six duty with their bottom pairing duty

would be valuable and a good strat

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm starting to warm up to it.

Do lightning, Sens and any other teams find that their forwards are getting gassed late in the game or when their double shifting? Thus resulting in odd man rushes against them?

It's still early in the season and the schedule has been pretty spaced out to this point so fatigue hasn't been much of an issue for Ottawa. Given the way that they play, odd man rushes against are a rarity. Later in games they usually have a forward very high in the offensive zone, sometimes even along the blue line with the two defensemen. Ironically in the two games in which Ottawa went 12-6, they had a defensemen leave the game in the first half of the game and I would say that the defensemen did look a little gassed.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Well, in both cases, they have pretty good records thus far.

Ottawa's first 2 games had 12 forwards.

Game 1 - 12th forward Logan Brown played just over 10 minutes. Top forwards Turris and Stone played 22 and 21 minutes. This was a shootout game with OT.

Game 2 - 12th forward Alex Formenton played 5 minutes. Top forwards Turris, Stone and Smith played 20 minutes. This was also a shootout game with OT.

Game 3 - 11th forward Tom Pyatt played 11 minutes. Top forwards Brassard and Stone played 22 and 21 minutes. This was a 60 minute game.

Game 4 - 11th forward Nate Thompson played 12 minutes. Top forwards Dzingel and Smith played 20 minutes. This was a 60 minute game.

Game 5 - 11th forward Alexandre Burrows played 13 minutes. Top forward Smith played 20 minutes. There is a cluster of guys around 17 minutes. This was a 60 minute game.

Overall, you don't see a huge uptick in icetime despite moving to 7D as it is fairly evenly distributed throughout the forward lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad