Speculation: Thoughts on 19/20 season

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
SHL players tend to spend little or no time in the AHL. Either they're ready for the NHL or they stay home. I'm guessing Lindstrom has at least another year.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It will be interesting to see what happens on D this summer, considering:

-Bowey and Hronek are likely on the roster full time next season, meaning they'll have a crowd again, especially if Kronwall returns for another year.

-DeKeyser is the only "veteran" D under contract past next season, and I can't see whoever is GM (especially Holland) going into next summer trying to round up multiple Dmen on the free agent (Because we obviously know not even the infallible Steve Yzerman would simply plug all of those holes with young guys...)

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they sign a vet D with at least 2 years of term this summer as insurance in case most of, if not all of Daley, Green, Ericsson or Kronwall (if he's back for another season) don't return after next year and/or the young guys aren't ready to take on big roles yet.

I've also been wondering if there's already something in the works for next season where they know they'll have an open spot on D, like Kronwall has indeed already made up his mind on retiring, or they plan on shopping Daley, or one of Daley or Ericsson has planned on (LTI)Retiring next season.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
It will be interesting to see what happens on D this summer, considering:

-Bowey and Hronek are likely on the roster full time next season, meaning they'll have a crowd again, especially if Kronwall returns for another year.

-DeKeyser is the only "veteran" D under contract past next season, and I can't see whoever is GM (especially Holland) going into next summer trying to round up multiple Dmen on the free agent (Because we obviously know not even the infallible Steve Yzerman would simply plug all of those holes with young guys...)

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they sign a vet D with at least 2 years of term this summer as insurance in case most of, if not all of Daley, Green, Ericsson or Kronwall (if he's back for another season) don't return after next year and/or the young guys aren't ready to take on big roles yet.

I've also been wondering if there's already something in the works for next season where they know they'll have an open spot on D, like Kronwall has indeed already made up his mind on retiring, or they plan on shopping Daley, or one of Daley or Ericsson has planned on (LTI)Retiring next season.

They can buy out Daley with minimal issue to open up a spot and I think they will. There's just no logical way in my mind they can bring back all of Ericsson, Daley, Green, Dekeyser, and (if the rumors are true that he might want to play again and the Wings are open to it) Kronwall.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
They can buy out Daley with minimal issue to open up a spot and I think they will. There's just no logical way in my mind they can bring back all of Ericsson, Daley, Green, Dekeyser, and (if the rumors are true that he might want to play again and the Wings are open to it) Kronwall.

I don't think they'd need to buy Daley out. He's got an NTC that would still allow him to go to 15 other teams and it isn't like he's way overpaid. They could probably flip him to one of those 15 teams looking for a veteran 3rd pairing guy or some depth, maybe with a little retention, and get at least a 4th rounder back.

Or considering Daley doesn't really have much to play for anymore, he could go the Zetterberg route and say whatever back injury ended his season this year will keep him from playing next year and he can collect that last year of his contract on LTIR.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don't think they'd need to buy Daley out. He's got an NTC that would still allow him to go to 15 other teams and it isn't like he's way overpaid. They could probably flip him to one of those 15 teams looking for a veteran 3rd pairing guy or some depth, maybe with a little retention, and get at least a 4th rounder back.

Or considering Daley doesn't really have much to play for anymore, he could go the Zetterberg route and say whatever back injury ended his season this year will keep him from playing next year and he can collect that last year of his contract on LTIR.

I don't see anyone giving up assets for Daley when they can just sign another over the hill veteran off the streets (likely cheaper, even with retention) without giving up draft picks.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think E and Daley could both be tradeable with one year left if you hold onto a mil or two in E's case. Yeah you cam sign a vet D as a UFA but they oftem want multi year deals. I'd be game bringing Kronner back if we could cut them both lose.

Would love to see something like:

Bert-Larkin-Mantha
Hirose-AA- UFA
Ras-Nielson-Zadina
DLR-Ehn- Helm

Karlson/Trouba-Dekeyser
Green-Hronek
Cholo- Bowey
Kronwall

I'd send Abby to the minors or make him the 13th forward.

For the forward UFA spot I'd off to any of the below that would take a one or two yeah max deal.

Nyquist, Eberle, Johansson, Zuccarello.

If we deal a Mantha or AA for a Trouba type deal then I'm interested in Nelson, Hayes, and Panarin too.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I wouldn't sweat a five year deal to Nyquist. Guy's never had a problem with injuries and he'd bring a similar tendency as Hirose with his ability to distribute the puck. It would help balance some of our more shot happy players.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I wouldn't sweat a five year deal to Nyquist. Guy's never had a problem with injuries and he'd bring a similar tendency as Hirose with his ability to distribute the puck. It would help balance some of our more shot happy players.

I don't disagree with this from a player skill standpoint but long term I think Ras, Veleno, Zadina, our 2019 pick are all likely top 6 forwards. Wings don't need to sign a mid 6 winger for 5 years when they will likely have better options in a year or two from within. With AA and Mantha up for raises soon, I don't think the Wings need to add more long term money vets.

Plus if we land a Hughes or Kakko there is a good chance that spot goes to one of them. Also I completely forgot Svech in my lineup.

Reactions: jkutswings

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

No thanks. I'd rather spend a few million more and sign someone like Jeff Skinner who is younger and better. Otherwise, just save the cap space for next year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
No thanks. I'd rather spend a few million more and sign someone like Jeff Skinner who is younger and better. Otherwise, just save the cap space for next year.

I don't think Skinner is worth a few million more than what Nyquist could be signed for (~$5.5m). Stone would have, as would Panarin. After them, the most I think I'd want to spend on any forward is right around $5.5m. I'm just not a huge fan of a lot of the other guys looking to hit the market, or they are guys who I think would be a bit superfluous here (Anders Lee).

I don't disagree with this from a player skill standpoint but long term I think Ras, Veleno, Zadina, our 2019 pick are all likely top 6 forwards. Wings don't need to sign a mid 6 winger for 5 years when they will likely have better options in a year or two from within. With AA and Mantha up for raises soon, I don't think the Wings need to add more long term money vets.

Plus if we land a Hughes or Kakko there is a good chance that spot goes to one of them. Also I completely forgot Svech in my lineup.

I think Svech is going to be in GR for awhile. Coming back from this injury, let him get back into shape down there, and if he looks good call him up later in the year. Him missing this entire season is a major disappointment.

I think having a guy like Nyquist on the third line is a nice luxury, and I think the Wings could afford it. As I mention above, I'm not really thrilled with the possible UFA forwards this summer, outside of Panarin. Looking ahead to next summer, Hall is clearly the big fish and after him Dadonov could be a really nice get. After them, I don't really see anyone I'd want to spend above what it would likely take to sign Nyquist.

I'm not against staying out of the forward market entirely and just chasing D, though. Karlsson this summer, and then a slew of possibilities next summer.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I'd stay far away from Nyquist. Does he make us a playoff team? Barring something major like signing Karlsson this team is likely nowhere near the playoffs next season. That would be a long term commitment to a player on the wrong side of 30 which would likely make our draft pick worse (and these 1sts are the most essential part of the rebuild). I understand the sentimental aspect with Nyquist, but it just doesn't make sense.

This time is all about drafting and development. Keep drafting the Larkins, AAs, Zadinas, Hroneks, etc and work on developing them as players. That includes having them play in the NHL earlier than we used to. I think the development of many of our newest crop of young guns has shown that it can be helpful to get a realistic taste of the adversity in the NHL early in their pro careers.

Leave the free agent signings for a year or two from now, the only exception being a Karlsson or someone similar becoming available. Those you just have to go for if you have the money no matter who you are.

Reactions: golffuul

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
We don't need Nyquist back. He has been here, and we lost with him, lets just go fresh. Also his contract stands to be too long and too much NTC/NMC whoever signs him.

Reactions: golffuul

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
It remains to be seen how Cholowski and Hronek will handle a full season. Daley and Ericsson are on their last years next year. We do tend to get hit with injuries. I say, generally, unless we can bring in Karlsson, stay where we are, sell off come trade deadline and have the kids on the back end take their roles full time, granted they keep developing. We potentially shedding 3 contract? I love what both Cholo and Hronek have displayed so far but lets not jump the gun just yet. We've seen this before and it hasn't always worked out. Kindl, Smith, Jurco..

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
One thing going for both Cholo and Hronek, is they have had moments where they are impactful and stand out, something we haven't had or seen from any of our young defenders in the past. I am a Brendan Smith fan (celebrate the guys entire album), but even he never had any long stretches where he looked like a difference maker.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Nyquist still ranks #4 on the team in SOG, the only shot happy player on the team is Larkin (which is fine). The problem with the team is that it doesn't get enough opportunities to shoot the puck, because you can't shoot from your own end (except Mantha on an empty net).

In any case, the team isn't going anywhere next year, spend the money the following year to fill holes (which will more than likely be on defense).

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Outside of a #1d or bonafide top line winger at end of the rebuild really no UFA's should be signed. And start to draft c and d heavy.

Those two positions are the only that can get good trade assets and centers can always be converted to two way wingers if we have a overflow of them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad