Speculation: Thoughts on 19/20 season

Dead Thing

Jun 24, 2018
I know it may be a week too early, but I don't think that this weeks results would change any of my thoughts on what I would like to see happen this off season and next years team make up.

For as much as our latest little winning streak may encourage some much needed optimism regarding next years playoff chances, I still think we will be on the outside looking in. For the life of me, I can't see us beating out TB, Boston or Toronto to be a top 3 division winner. As for a wild card place, I think we would rank behind Montreal, Carolina, Philly, Florida and possibly the Blue Jackets(depending on how many of their UFAs they manage to retain). So 1 more year out of the playoffs.

Management: I am far from Ken Holland's worst critic among Wings' fans( and I thank him for being instrumental in the 4 Cups he was involved in) but(after he fulfills his last year of his present deal)I think it is time for him to move on, or up, with him vacating the GM post. Bring in Stevie in an advisory role for 19/20 and then take over as GM in 20/21. Our drafting lately has been spotty at best and I think Yzerman can easily improve this situation.

This off season, I hope that Holland restrains himself from any UFA signings other than possibly Kronwall(if he feels he has one more season in him). This means no Vanek and Witkowski. I truly believe that none of the major UFAs like Karlsson, Panarin, Duchene or Bobrovsky would seriously consider the Wings no matter how much money they were offered. Save the cap space for 20/21 when Mantha, AA, and Bert(amongst others) will need contract extensions with significant raises.

Coaching: Not the biggest Blashill fan, but I'm OK with his 2 yr. extension. This means that Stevie can bring in his own guy in a year costing the Wings only 1 year in salary if he fires Blash. As the Wings presently rank 22nd in PP and 27th in PK, we could use up grades in these coaching positions. I personally would love to see Adam Oates brought on board to fine tune the PP.

Roster: With respect to NMC/NTCs and cap hit situations this is how I see the roster playing out(with some wishful thinking along the way).

Forward keepers:
Larkin: Team leader and future captain. Enough said.
AA: Has finally showed the talent and, more importantly the consistency, that we have all been waiting for. Not sure if he is a true center or better on the wing, but either way he is a top 6 forward. His speed alone makes him a keeper.
Mantha: His recent 5 game point splurge should put to rest any questions about how productive he can be. I have no doubt that he is easily capable of 30/30 in the future(would 40/40 be out of the question?).
Bert: Again, his recent production only bodes extremely well for the future. At worst, a highly productive 3rd liner.
Zadina: If the Wings kept Rasmussen on the big team this year, really can't see how Zadina doesn't make the big team next year. He will make mistakes, but he will learn.
Rasmussen: I would have sent back to junior this yr(as I not sure that playing just 12 minutes a game helped improve his game all that much). Also, not sure where he best fits in best-as a winger or as a center. I was one, of the apparently few, Wings fans who were happy with his 1st rd.(10th OA)selection in 2017. I can easily envision both Ras and Mantha bracketing any of Larkin, AA or Veleno in the next couple of years.
Abby: His NTC and cap hit means that he will be on the roster for the immediate future. If only we could see a little more production.
Nielsen: His cap hit and modified NTC(10 team no trade list) suggests that he is around for a while unless a deal can be made with some sort of retention. The question is how much.
This leaves 5 spots with Helm, Glenny, Hirose, Frk, Ehn and DeLarose having the inside tract. Although it's a small sample size Hirose has impressed and will definitely press for a spot. Veleno had a magnificent season and is off to a great start in the playoffs but will likely need a year in GR to adapt to the pro game. As for Svetch, no doubt he will start in GR to insure that he has fully recovered from his knee injury.

Defense keepers:
DDK: Has a full NTC until Jan. 2021 when he can then submit a 10 team no trade list. His cap hit is another factor(although his $5 mil hit doesn't even land him in the top 50 of NHL dmen).
Kronner: as stated above, he might come back for one more season. Had a decent yr. missing only 3 games so welcome back if he so chooses.
Hronek and Cholo must be on the big team next year.
Green, Daley and Ericisson are all entering the last yr of their present contracts.
Depending an any moves, Bowey and Sulak will be in the mix.

Goal keepers:
Howard and Bernier. Can't see this changing for the start of the yr.

Potential/likely tradeables;
Helm: If I understand his NTC clause, he can now be traded as the Wings missed the playoffs(his second condition revolves around ice time). Hard to believe that some team who needs help with PK(not to mention adding his speed) would not have some interest, especially if we retain $1.350 mil to make his cap hit a reasonable $2.5 mil. This move might happen in off season and he would be a valuable addition to a playoff bound team at the TDL.
Glenny: His cap hit of $1.8 mil is very affordable in this day and age of the NHL. His value rests in his PK play and, as importantly, his winning faceoff of 55%.
Green: His full NTC is in effect until Feb. 1st 2020(well in advance of the 2020 TDL)when he submits a 10 team no trade list(likely to be non playoff teams). Got to believe that he would be a very sought after asset being a right handed shot who can QB a second team power play.
Daley: Can presently submit a 15 team no trade list. He could be moved during the off season, but would definitely attract some interest at the TDL for depth purposes if nothing else.
Ericsson: One more guy in his last year of present deal. He actually has more a restrictive NTC with a 19 team no trade list. Might be easier to just buy him out.

As for our 1st pick in the upcoming draft, that will obviously depend on where we finish-which could as high as #1(if we were to win the lottery) or as low as the 14th pick (if we win our last three games and none of the Sabres, Rangers, Ducks, Oilers or the Canucks gain any points to overtake us and remembering that the lottery allows teams to jump into the top 3). While I would obviously love a top 3 pick, I'm thinking that our recent winning streak has probably put us in the 4-8 pick range. Potential picks in this spread include LD Bowen Byram, C Kirby Dach(6'4") and C/RW Dylan Cozens(6'3"). A later pick might be G Spencer Knight(who is that rare tender projected in the 1st rd.). Although we have been playing very well lately, I'm hoping that since the Penquins have yet to secure a playoff spot, they will be very motivated to win out and that would include 2 wins against the Wings.

Let the good times roll.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
No on Oates as head coach, he does OK as an assistant though. His problem is that he will micromanage every aspect of the game including defense and the goalies. He really screwed up Holtby, you're not supposed to get into your own goalie's head.

I decided to Google Adam Oates & Holtby, and this is the first article that came up:
The Micromanager: Adam Oates’s Downfall

Reactions: Sentinel

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Oates said on Spittin Chiclets that he doesn't plan on becoming an assistant coach and likes his gig as a skills coach.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I think most here know my stance. Scorched earth by getting rid of the coach, GM and anything we can do without and basically start from scratch

We have an amazing roster for the most part and the possibilities are endless but enough of being complacent and settling for the status quo

What was the point of this little outburst of team effort and play making when the rest of the season was the equivalent of a wet fart

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Oates said on Spittin Chiclets that he doesn't plan on becoming an assistant coach and likes his gig as a skills coach.
That's where a micromanager belongs, in a specific area of expertise. I doubt he ever gets another head coaching job.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I’d like to see the following happen
-two of Kronwall, Daley, and Ericsson gone.
-explore short term deals for max one forward and one defenseman (Hayes/Nyquist or Edler/Stralman tier)
-us win a lottery pick of course
-Seriously contemplate burying Abdelkader in the minors or retaining a bit of salary to trade Helm

Mantha-Larkin-Bertuzzi
UFA-Athanasiou-Zadina
Rasmussen-Nielsen- Hirose
Abdelkader/Helm-Glendenning-Svechnikov
(Ehn)

Let Veleno start in GR and get called up halfway through. You can maybe replace the UFA if we get Hughes or Kakko, but then we’d have to reahuffle the lines because AA and two rookies would get exposed defensively every shift.

Defense
Hronek-UFA
Green-Dekeyser
Cholowski-Bowey
(1 Vet remaining/Prospect with the best camp when Green inevitably gets injured)

I would fully support buying out Ericsson or retaining salary on Helm/Daley to move one. Abdelkader is too early to buyout currently so have to let him captain the GR for a bit

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
my main thought right now is that Ken Holland has double digit millions to throw at free agency this offseason and that scares me

we'll see what ends up happening with that but we all know he's not gonna be able to resist using it on something

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
We still have too much dead weight on this team. I think we could take a step and finish as the tenth worst team in the nhl next year, but we still have a ways to go. This is an 82 game season and it takes more than a hot stretch to be a good team in this league.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Screenshot_20190402-223201_DuckDuckGo.jpg

From the current injury report, trade those circled, do whatever it takes to keep the X's off the pro team.

Bunch of losers on that list, why play with them on the team? I know the current roster won't come close to keeping this up, but they almost certainly wouldn't be worse than what came before them.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
please no more helm, abdelkalder, glendning, kronwall, ericsson.

Mantha-Larkin-Bertuzzi
?-Athanasiou-Zadina
Rasmussen-Nielsen- Hirose
Chris Terry-Ehn-Svechnikov

? = free agent, ufa, draft picks from 2019 or great players from european leagues.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Still not fond of AA at center, but we have don't have any other options. Obviously it's difficult to project our roster next year until the draft lottery takes place, but for now, I want to see something like:

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Hirose-AA-Zadina
Rasmussen-Nielsen-xxx
Svechnikov-Glendening-Abelkader

Obviously, if we some how wind up with a top 3 pick, there's a strong chance that that player steps in on day 1.

Dekeyser-Hronek
Cholowski-Green
Kronwall-Bowey

Howard
Bernier

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I really do wish we would have not gone on this little streak, but when its solely because of the play of the young guys and not veterans its hard to be truly pissed.

If we can add a high quality dman this summer, trouba or Karlsson, we will e a good team next season.

Blueliner70

Mar 16, 2018
Elliotte Friedman had this to say,

3. Edmonton’s interview list for the GM position is around 10 to 13 names long. As Mark Spector reported last week, you should add Pat Verbeek’s name to whatever roster you’ve put together. My suspicion is he was recommended by Steve Yzerman. His candidacy could be affected by Yzerman’s own decision, since he might want Verbeek with him should he go to Detroit.

31 Thoughts: NHL-backed women's league the 'obvious solution' - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: avssuc

Athana see you later

Feb 9, 2019
I think we will see AA as a 2C until we have a prospect (like Veleno or possibly this years pick) adjusted to the nhl as a wing and ready to transition to center

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Next season is going to be just as rough and as pointless as this season was unless we end up winning the lottery on top of landing someone like Karlsson on July 1st.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
We still have too much dead weight on this team. I think we could take a step and finish as the tenth worst team in the nhl next year, but we still have a ways to go. This is an 82 game season and it takes more than a hot stretch to be a good team in this league.
i would be fine with zadina being up and possibly chow having a consistent role and if we win the lottery and have hughes or kakko in the lineup they are probably right around 10. i don't see the point in going out and getting UFAs. proper rebuilds take time and this year was a great step for larkin, AA, mantha, bert, hronek, and hirose could be a player. we need goaltending bad, i wouldn't mind moving up to get knight if he drops past #25.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
I really do wish we would have not gone on this little streak, but when its solely because of the play of the young guys and not veterans its hard to be truly pissed.

If we can add a high quality dman this summer, trouba or Karlsson, we will e a good team next season.
i wouldn't want to give up a ton of cost controlled assets to get trouba and karlsson has had major foot issues, it would take 7 years to get him on the market and i would not want to be in the business of paying a 33-36 year old karlsson $8-10 million a year. i don't know why karlsson would want to come to detroit anyways.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Screw it. If the team can win with McIlrath, Hicketts, Witter, and Jake playing defense and a bunch of no names on the 3rd and 4th lines, then let's just not sign any UFAs. Vets just slow down the game and the progress of the young players.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Hirose-AA-Glendening (This line actually looked OK until Glenny got hurt, Helm looks terrible on the line)
Rasmussen-Nielsen-Zadina (Rookies always start on Nielsen's line...)
Helm-Ehn-Svechnikov (or anybody else not named Abdelkader)

Abby gets sent to GR. Each line already has "veteran presence".

Dekeyser-Hronek
Cholowski-Green
Daley/Big E-Bowey

Howard
Bernier

DLR and Witter or McIlrath as spare parts, Veleno and McIsaac get 9 games

It's not like they're going to be real contenders next year anyways, even if they sign top UFA players. Play the kids and fill the holes the following offseason when Green, Daley, and BigE are gone.

Reactions: TheOtherOne

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Svechnikov will likely start the season in GR. After missing a full year, it will take him time to recover his game (and that may be questionable). His waiver exemption has been extended a year, no reason to rush him back to Detroit. I could see a mid-season call up.

Veleno will push for a spot on opening day, but ultimately wind up in GR due his waiver exemption status and Holland's desire to protect other players.

Cholowski could start off in GR if he doesn't show significant defensive improvement during GR's playoff run. He would likely be first call-up. At this point, I do expect Kronwall to be re-signed.

Zadina will play the season in Detroit.

Rasmussen may split the season between GR and Detroit. Much depends on how much he physically develops this summer.

Hirose had made his case for playing in Detroit next year.

Turgeon will no longer be waiver exempt. I am not sure Holland has given up on him, and I would not be surprised if he found his way onto the opening day roster. He still could be a viable Glendenning replacement.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I went with what I want, not what the team will do.

More than likely Kronwall gets re-signed and Abby plays on the second line with Hirose-AA. Imagine how far behind the play he'll be every shift. Hirose & AA might as well play short handed the whole game. At least Helm and Glenny can skate.

There will be no lessons learned from the last 7 games other than keeping the top line together. When the vets are healthy, they will get ice time and we'll have to watch boring ass hockey again. By the end of the season, the vets will get hurt and the Wings will win the last 10 games to mess up the lottery pick again.

Yooper906

Jul 1, 2016
Michigan
My hopes for next year are that we play as many of our younger players as possible. We don’t sign any veterans to a one year deal. Kronwall retires. Waive abdelkader. And we try to improve on this years record. Don’t expect to seriously compete for a playoff spot. But continue to improve the roster by letting our younger core grow, and weed out the ones that aren’t. Another top 10 pick and then see where we’re at for the 20/21 season. Which is the season I expect to start competing for a playoff spot.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm okay we re-signing Kronwall and I know im in the minority here but whatever. He hasnt been nearly as bad as people make him out to be considering who else we have. I'd be all for getting rid of Daley and Ericsson, and to a lesser extent DeKeyser. Hronek and Cholowski are on the team to start, the only free agents id go after defensively is Edler or Karlsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad