News Article: Thorough Tavares FA article (with quotes from current and former Isles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I was ridiculed for saying that Pajama Boy's body posture, expressions, and overall demeanor during the Belmont announcement event clearly expressed that he was leaving. To this day, I'm sticking to that. Watching that event was painful instead of happy, as I knew right then that he was gone.

In our defense, he's a dopey, mopey looking guy even when he's happy.

Reactions: beach

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
You sound like Charles Wang and his Pat Lafontaine ban. A Better approach is to understand the greats of the game have high ambition,on a different level than Josh Bailey's and Charles Wang's,..more along the lines on LeBron. That's part of how they became great.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I have a feeling the end to this story will be that JT killed the Leafs in the end as the core got dismantled and "that's why super teams don't work in the NHL"

It's not like Tavares took 7 million a year, he got more than the Leafs really wanted to offer, why are Nylander and Marner going to take pay cuts? Matthews agreed to it now to JT but things change.

It will be interesting to see what happens to that team with the cap situation. It's okay this season with Matthews and Marner still on their ELCs. But going forward, you're looking at potentially (if those players pan out as well as Leaf fans think they will) multiple guys in the $9-12 million range, including Tavares.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I was ridiculed for saying that Pajama Boy's body posture, expressions, and overall demeanor during the Belmont announcement event clearly expressed that he was leaving. To this day, I'm sticking to that. Watching that event was painful instead of happy, as I knew right then that he was gone.

Agreed.

I also think when we allowed Nielsen and Okposo to walk for nothing after it looked like the rebuild was over and we were on track to potentially become a contender...then replaced them with nothing was the first huge red flag for me. I think that's the moment Tavares realized that he didn't want to be here for the rest of his career or was at least open to the notion.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
3) There should be NOTHING — no tribute, and no mention of him when the Leafs visit. F - Him. F the Leafs. I have always hated the Leafs and their smug for nothing fans.
Be very interesting. I could easily see a tribute as easily as I can not. Very weird thing to say but given what has happened you'd think they'd avoid the boos and the asshole chant that will happen while we see the highlight vs the Panthers OT winner but at the same time the awkwardness of not having a tribute to a former player that's spent a lot of time is also weird.
It will be interesting to see what happens to that team with the cap situation. It's okay this season with Matthews and Marner still on their ELCs. But going forward, you're looking at potentially (if those players pan out as well as Leaf fans think they will) multiple guys in the $9-12 million range, including Tavares.
Already Nylander hasn't signed, I don't think it will be any different next offseason in terms of signing the 'big four'.

Marner and Matthews are very very good players, they're going to want their worth. Also so will the agents.

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
When I read this I focused more on what Lou was saying. He told Tavares he’d get a coach and more games at the Coliseum and he did that, the only thing he didn’t get was a goalie, but he needed Tavares to commit. It never fell through but if Lou was going to get a difference maker in that short time, think of what he’ll do with the whole season to scout and look for players to be on this team next year. This story made me even more excited to have Lou as our gm

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
He's being given the Chris Benoit/ LaFontaine before he made peace with the organization treatment in regards to any trace of him being scrubbed from team history (remember the story of Lou personally overseeing destroying any trace of him at the practice facility). I would be stunned if they did a tribute video for him because I think the organization's attitude is pretty much "F that guy".

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Lou was a islanders employee for like five days before JT left. Who is he to say anything about JT? Do the Yankees try and smear Don Mattingly by talking about his "individual accomplishments". JT SACRAFICED how many seasons of low payrolls where the team wasn't even trying to win...? You can tell Lou never played pro sports from his style as a GM. Easy to disrespect NHL hall of gamers when you never played minor league hockey at any level. JT and the ISLES.we're a mismatch from the beginning. LOU needs to focus on making some.trades and moves and start earning his paycheck. His cups with the devils aren't helping the ISLES win.games.

Reactions: phillipmike

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
Actually pretty informative piece, albeit I wanted to punch my computer monitor multiple times while reading it... The one thing that sticks out to me is that the whole thing seems predicated on a promise Dubas can't possibly keep.

Quoted from the piece: "No, that came down to the roster. On the podcast, Dubas gave his highly quoted answer to the question of whether or not he could keep all four of Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares: “We can… and we will.” Tavares demanded that commitment. If he was going to make the leap, he craved assurances the team would not go backward".

I can't possibly imagine a world where they can put a competitive team on the ice while keeping all 4 at competitive contracts... JT is too smart to think otherwise. That part really struck me as strange.

Yea I felt that way also. I can't stand Dubas for a number of reasons, but mostly because he was a nobody that went to become GM of TML virtually overnight. He's become wildly overhyped after signing Tavares--despite not having any proven track record--by using a false pretense of being able to keep TML's core intact. Nothing makes me happier than seeing them struggle to sign Nylander, and I hope that they either A) sign him for 8+ million; or B) trade him for a weak return. I think the fans of TML will eventually find out that Dumass is in over his head.

At this point, I'm over it. Tavares was never the kind of player that could carry a team to a Stanley Cup, but you know what? I think Barzal can definetly be that kind of player. I think ultimately, in the long run, JT did us a favor by not signing with us.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I actually enjoyed the article for what it is, but I also come away from this whole saga thinking the Islanders will be better in the long run without Tavares than with him.

When he was here, it sure seemed like there was John Tavares, and then below him the rest of the Islanders.

With him gone, I hope they can unify to be one collective group, with no one more powerful than the other.

I know the odds of this are about the same odds of getting struck by lightning, but nothing would make me happier than seeing Isles/Leafs in round one and to see the team come back to Barclays/NYCB Live with a 2-0 series lead.

That’s pretty much my reading of this. I do think when it’s all said and done, I would have preferred him to re-sign bc we have a strong base of forward talent (the duo of JT-Barz). But after reading what I have, he’s not the leader I once thought he was; he needs others to win. He comes off as an all star, not the franchise player NYI treated him as (even giving him a centralized locker).

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Someone elsewhere pointed something out: the anonymous players are almost certainly PJB's circle of friends from the T Dot area upset about what the fans are saying about him, and it's clear PJB is bothered by it too. To which I say: good, f*** em!

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Actually pretty informative piece, albeit I wanted to punch my computer monitor multiple times while reading it... The one thing that sticks out to me is that the whole thing seems predicated on a promise Dubas can't possibly keep.

Quoted from the piece: "No, that came down to the roster. On the podcast, Dubas gave his highly quoted answer to the question of whether or not he could keep all four of Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares: “We can… and we will.” Tavares demanded that commitment. If he was going to make the leap, he craved assurances the team would not go backward".

I can't possibly imagine a world where they can put a competitive team on the ice while keeping all 4 at competitive contracts... JT is too smart to think otherwise. That part really struck me as strange.

The team can fit those four in easily. It's just it doesn't leave a ton for the defense. It's more cap allocation than actual cap space issues. I'd expect Nylander to get moved 2-4 years into his contract for a defenseman, so the team is more balanced.

Yea I felt that way also. I can't stand Dubas for a number of reasons, but mostly because he was a nobody that went to become GM of TML virtually overnight. He's become wildly overhyped after signing Tavares--despite not having any proven track record--by using a false pretense of being able to keep TML's core intact. Nothing makes me happier than seeing them struggle to sign Nylander, and I hope that they either A) sign him for 8+ million; or B) trade him for a weak return. I think the fans of TML will eventually find out that Dumass is in over his head.

At this point, I'm over it. Tavares was never the kind of player that could carry a team to a Stanley Cup, but you know what? I think Barzal can definetly be that kind of player. I think ultimately, in the long run, JT did us a favor by not signing with us.

Dubas was hired in 2014, interim GMd for an offseason at age 28, and then was the Marlies GM / Assistant Leafs GM for three seasons learning under Lou. He was also a player agent at age 21, and an OHL GM at age 25. He has a 'track record'.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Interesting to see everyone's takes. One thing stood out for me..... He wanted commitments that Matthews, Marner and Nylnader were all going to be there for a long time. Aside from this being a borderline unprofessional question (how the hell can anyone honestly answer that question?) it's already looking like that scenario is in serious jeopardy! I mean they haven't even signed Nylander and it is starting to get snipey in the press. Totally agree that this is a puff piece by some people close to Tavares that want to shine him in the best possible light.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Oh and one other thing..... He was deeply concerned and embarrassed that the Islanders were bending over backwards to include him on every decision and yet he wanted to know before he signed that the three other stars would be locked up long term. Anyone see the hypocrisy here? Puh-lease!

Reactions: HyeDray

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Who the hell wasted time writing that article, I stopped reading after like 5 minutes(when it seemed like their was still 10 minutes more of reading)

It seems like a fluff piece put out by his agent to try claim down the negativity from Islander fans

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Hope that Barzal is not reading this article and thinking about copying what JT did - the Canucks will have have a very talented young core in few years when he turns UFA if not locked up long term by Isles when he turns RFA.

Isles better start to build more young high end pieces around Barzal so he will not do the same - going back to his home town and playing with the likes of Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes, plus the potential 40+ goal scorer Boeser.

Besides massively improving the team through successful draft and trades, Isles will need to lock up Barzal long term when he turns RFA to stop he doing the same. He need to taste success before he reach UFA status.

joekono

Apr 29, 2016
Roxbury,New Jersey
It's funny that he's asking the TML to keep the core intact or he wouldn't sign. What an jerk#*&! I hope Matthews and Nylander do what just about every other player does....take the biggest offer and it can't be the Leafs. It's funny how a choking and losing organization are so conceited. Also, that NHL network has mention #91 more times yesterday than the whole time he was here. I too will become Lightning and Bruins fans for a few years. Hehe. Let's move on from this liar. I just wish last nights game could've went into a shootout so the TML fans could see how good #91 is at shootouts.:naughty:

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The team can fit those four in easily. It's just it doesn't leave a ton for the defense. It's more cap allocation than actual cap space issues. I'd expect Nylander to get moved 2-4 years into his contract for a defenseman, so the team is more balanced

The comments by Shanabum (a guy I absolutely despise for coming to Hartford as our savior, being a worthless bum who phoned it in and then demanding a trade to give us all one last solid kick in the nuts) asking players to sacrifice financially seem to indicate it might not be as easy as you think.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Hope that Barzal is not reading this article and thinking about copying what JT did - the Canucks will have have a very talented young core in few years when he turns UFA if not locked up long term by Isles when he turns RFA.

Isles better start to build more young high end pieces around Barzal so he will not do the same - going back to his home town and playing with the likes of Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes, plus the potential 40+ goal scorer Boeser.

Besides massively improving the team through successful draft and trades, Isles will need to lock up Barzal long term when he turns RFA to stop he doing the same. He need to taste success before he reach UFA status.
IIRC Barzal was a Blackhawks fan as a kid.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
The team can fit those four in easily. It's just it doesn't leave a ton for the defense. It's more cap allocation than actual cap space issues. I'd expect Nylander to get moved 2-4 years into his contract for a defenseman, so the team is more balanced.
Yes, hence why I said they wouldn’t be able to have a competitive team... If you sign those four and forget about the defense, you’re going to have issues. Cap space, cap allocation; Call it whatever you want, but they won’t have a cup competitive team with all 4 signed to competitive contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad