News Article: Thorough Tavares FA article (with quotes from current and former Isles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
One thing this article makes me realize is how much of a disconnect there is between the players and the fans. Players want the love and admiration. They seem to feel believe someone like Tray Toor should be admired for having the guts to do what he did and Isles fans should be grateful for what he did for us during his time here. They intimate that Rattlesnake was genuinely taken aback by fans burning his jersey. WELL WHAT THE f*** DID HE EXPECT TO HAPPEN???

Reactions: sabremike

StumpNYI

Sep 10, 2010
One thing this article makes me realize is how much of a disconnect there is between the players and the fans. Players want the love and admiration. They seem to feel believe someone like Tray Toor should be admired for having the guts to do what he did and Isles fans should be grateful for what he did for us during his time here. They intimate that Rattlesnake was genuinely taken aback by fans burning his jersey. WELL WHAT THE **** DID HE EXPECT TO HAPPEN???
That quote from Drew Doughty and the fact that Tavares is the only player of his stature to ever do this tells me most players probably get it. Tavares deserves everything he gets and I hope its rough. He wants to play for an "intense market"? Well, he can wait for when he comes back.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
So basically Lou was going to get a big time goalie if Tavares stayed but when JT f***ed us over Lou backed off.

The more crap that comes out about this the bigger piece of shit he makes himself look like.

Reactions: bigtim1988

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
It makes my stomach turn when I read about our guys defending this decision. I would rather no comment or the BS Lou spews. Just enough with the I understand the decision and good for John crap. This guy embarrassed the organization and these players and we just stand their grinning. Nobody sticking up for the fan base anywhere.

Reactions: Surfrat and Bood12

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe in his trusty little notebook he could have jotted something down like:

"Note to self: Don't use 'Note to Isles fans' to announce your dream of playing in Toronto."

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I actually enjoyed the article for what it is, but I also come away from this whole saga thinking the Islanders will be better in the long run without Tavares than with him.

When he was here, it sure seemed like there was John Tavares, and then below him the rest of the Islanders.

With him gone, I hope they can unify to be one collective group, with no one more powerful than the other.

I know the odds of this are about the same odds of getting struck by lightning, but nothing would make me happier than seeing Isles/Leafs in round one and to see the team come back to Barclays/NYCB Live with a 2-0 series lead.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I've long said that Isles management really screwed up the handling of John Tavares and their inability to build a competitive team around him. I still feel that's why he ultimately left.

But having said that, in light of this article, I'm also now saying "f*** John Tavares".

Bill Herlyn

Oct 18, 2017
A puff piece article on Tavares and his decision to leave the Islanders-totally expected from the Toronto media. I still believe that Tavares made up his mind not to re sign with the Islanders in April-May 2017, a year before he was set to become a free agent and just used the team for leverage during the FA negotiations. As far as the anonymous quotes, it is hard to say who was being quoted but it would not surprise me if players like Strome, Moulson, Okposo and Nielsen were contacted for their opinions and none left the Islanders on good terms and of course would defend Tavares!

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Nothing new or noteworthy here. If he came out and said "I looked at Lou's plan and wasn't impressed by it, and that's why my decision changed" I'd be pissed but would understand...looking at what Lou's done since would validate his reasoning for leaving. Or if he said "I made the promise not to leave to Snow/Weight...but they're not here anymore". I'd still be upset with how he left, but at least he'd gain a little more respect in my book for being a man and owning it.

I don't get why they're so focused on making Tavares look better (or at least not as bad) in the eyes of Isles fans though, really doesn't affect them one way or another? Regardless it's time to move on.

Reactions: Strummergas

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
A puff piece article on Tavares and his decision to leave the Islanders-totally expected from the Toronto media. I still believe that Tavares made up his mind not to re sign with the Islanders in April-May 2017, a year before he was set to become a free agent and just used the team for leverage during the FA negotiations. As far as the anonymous quotes, it is hard to say who was being quoted but it would not surprise me if players like Strome, Moulson, Okposo and Nielsen were contacted for their opinions and none left the Islanders on good terms and of course would defend Tavares!
If you really want to go down the path of dissecting the anonymous quotes... at least one of them has to have been someone who was with the team at the TDL last season and now is not. So... DeHaan, Halak are your likely quoters.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Although Tavares had physically left the city years earlier, his friends admit there was always a strong connection. He lived and trained there in the summers. And, like most great players, he is acutely aware of what was going on in the league. It was not unusual for him to listen to Toronto sports radio to hear what was happening with the Leafs as he drove to and from practices or games. “We used to roll our eyes at it,” one teammate laughs.

----------------

Wonder if he wore his Leafs pyjamas on his way to our practices...

Reactions: NC 1972

StumpNYI

Sep 10, 2010
I actually enjoyed the article for what it is, but I also come away from this whole saga thinking the Islanders will be better in the long run without Tavares than with him.

When he was here, it sure seemed like there was John Tavares, and then below him the rest of the Islanders.

With him gone, I hope they can unify to be one collective group, with no one more powerful than the other.

I know the odds of this are about the same odds of getting struck by lightning, but nothing would make me happier than seeing Isles/Leafs in round one and to see the team come back to Barclays/NYCB Live with a 2-0 series lead.
I agree. And this was clear on the ice.

The team allowing him to hold himself accountable for his mistakes set a poor example. His regular turnovers. His extended shifts. His stupid penalties. Never lost a minute of ice time. He had us by the balls.

It had been a while since we had a player that put butts in the seats. I guess that was worth more than winning to some.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
So basically Lou was going to get a big time goalie if Tavares stayed but when JT ****ed us over Lou backed off.

The more crap that comes out about this the bigger piece of **** he makes himself look like.

Staple had already reported this. Lou had a deal for Grubrauer. But it was using one of the 1sts. (Caps were making the Isles pay a premium) I believe Lou went to Brisson for an answer, Brisson couldn't give one, so Lou said F it and kept the pick

Reactions: PuckItUp27

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
This guy needs to get lost. **** him, he no longer matters to us anymore. This whining and damage control from him is getting cringeworthy. Be a man and stand by your decision. Stop trying to make up with the team you ****** over. It’s too late.

Also, this quote stood out to me:

“John Tavares and Aryne Fuller were married Aug. 4 in Niagara-on-the Lake, about 90 minutes southwest of Toronto. The emcee was Edmonton Oiler Ryan Strome, a former teammate. “So, Strome opens the night by saying, ‘I had this fantastic speech written, but I had to change it on July 1,’” one of the guests says, laughing at the memory. “People were dying.”

I hope every current Islander reads this and gets PO’d. We’re essentially a laughing stock to people, the buttend of jokes.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The bottom line is Tray-Toor wanted to leave. You don't need a War and Peace style article to know that his actions spoke louder than his words.

Tavares chose to leave his friends and the team that he said made him what he is today as a man and a player.

No amount of fluff pieces will ever change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad