Thornton says Matthews should be up for the Rocket, Selke, and Hart - PART 2

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
So if they had more money, they could have signed a 4th liner that's worse than Joe Thornton with a much bigger cap hit?
Terrible excuse. Vast majority of NHL teams have no cap.
Why would any GM give 3 million to a 4th liner? Dubas wouldn't do it even with more cap room.

Why do these players want to sign for that money on the Leafs? Because the team is very good? Dubas has been a big part of that since 2014.

3/4 of them wanted to play for there hometown team.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
3/4 of them wanted to play for there hometown team.

Wrong. Leafs could never sign any hometown players for years. It only started because they built a first class organization that has a chance to win.
Do you not recall the narrative no Ontario players wanted to "Go Home"? Doughty even gave an interview about it.

If The Leafs were bad in 2018, Tavares never even meets with them.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Wrong. Leafs could never sign any hometown players for years. It only started because they built a first class organization that has a chance to win.
Do you not recall the narrative no Ontario players wanted to "Go Home"? Doughty even gave an interview about it.

If The Leafs were bad in 2018, Tavares never even meets with them.

What?

Spezza was going to retire when he got waived if anyone claimed him because he only wants to play for the team he grew up rooting for.

Being a good team helps. But so does the hometown thing.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
What?

Spezza was going to retire when he got waived if anyone claimed him because he only wants to play for the team he grew up rooting for.

Being a good team helps. But so does the hometown thing.

Once again, I stated it was because the team can compete for a cup. It isn't because it's their "Hometown" team. No Ontario players were "Going home" prior to 2018. I know Lebrunn said "Hometown Allure" but that doesb't make it so. If the team was bad, he wouldn't go.
And spezza was going to retire because a team picking him would have been worse than the Leafs and there's no point for that salary and at his age moving away from his family.

WE know from years and years, the hometown angle doesn't mean anything without a great team and top notch organizatiom.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Once again, I stated it was because the team can compete for a cup. It isn't because it's their "Hometown" team. No Ontario players were "Going home" prior to 2018.

I'm not talking about 2018. I'm talking about this season. And there's two examples of people turning down more money or even playing at all to play at home. Just because it didn't happen before 2018 doesn't make it wrong lol.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
I'm not talking about 2018. I'm talking about this season. And there's two examples of people turning down more money or even playing at all to play at home. Just because it didn't happen before 2018 doesn't make it wrong lol.

I said since 2018 because that's when Tavares signed and things shifted.
I was well aware of what Simmonds was offered. Again, he's here to win. It's because of the organization.

Time to give Dubas credit here. Brillant value on contracts. Leading candidate for GM of the year. Since 2014 he's been a big part of the organization turnaround. Tavares actually mentioned Marlies Calder cup win in 2018 press conference. Dubas built that team.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I said since 2018 because that's when Tavares signed and things shifted.
I was well aware of what Simmonds was offered. Again, he's here to win. It's because of the organization.

Time to give Dubas credit here. Brillant value on contracts. Leading candidate for GM of the year.

The same organization that hasn't won a playoff round since 2004? If you think going home had nothing to do with it you're just ignoring reality. If he was only in it too win he would have signed a minimum deal with a team like Colorado or Tampa.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
The same organization that hasn't won a playoff round since 2004? If you think going home had nothing to do with it you're just ignoring reality. If he was only in it too win he would have signed a minimum deal with a team like Colorado or Tampa.

Yes, let's go back to 2004 because that's so relevant here. Leafs are seen as a top notch NHL organization. Player polls prove this. I don't care about the Leafs when JFjr was GM LOL

Do you know if Colorado and Tampa even were interested? I didn't hear any reports to that. You're arguing aginst me based on facts that aren't there.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Yes, let's go back to 2004 because that's so relevant here. Leafs are seen as a top notch NHL organization. Player polls prove this. I don't care about the Leafs when JFjr was GM LOL

Do you know if Colorado and Tampa even were interested? I didn't hear any reports to that. You're arguing aginst me based on facts that aren't there.

What players poll lol? The same one that listed Carey Price as best goalie?

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
What players poll lol? The same one that listed Carey Price as best goalie?

Still more relavent than a 2004 argument when John Ferguson Jr was GM. Kyle Dubas wasn't old enough to buy a beer or vote

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Still more relavent than a 2004 argument when John Ferguson Hr was GM

LMAO. You're seriously trying to argue that they only wanted to go to the leafs because of the organizational success and it has nothing to do with it being those players hometowns despite them saying that and the leafs having very little organizational success?

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
LMAO. You're seriously trying to argue that they only wanted to go to the leafs because of the organizational success and it has nothing to do with it being those players hometowns despite them saying that and the leafs having very little organizational success?

Toronto born NHL players did not sign in Toronto for years. Why are you acting like this is news to you? If the team stinks no one cares about "Hometown team".

You're bringing up "2004" as proof the team isn't successful. Sorry dumb argument. Joe Thornton clearly felt differently about the team's chances. He did think they were a cup contender and he was especially asked why since no first round wins in his press conference after signing.
Players don't harp on "how many round won" like fans on here. That's in the past.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto born NHL players did not sign in Toronto for years. Why are you acting like this is news to you? If the team stinks no one cares about "Hometown team".

You're bringing up "2004" as proof the team isn't successful. Sorry dumb argument. Joe Thornton clearly felt differently about the team's chances.

I'm not talking about past years. I'm talking about these specific signings that you are saying have nothing to do with it being the players home town.

Simmonds took less money because he wanted to play at home, this has been widely reported.

Spezza welcomes shot at childhood dream with Leafs
Spezza wanted to play for his childhood team.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
I'm not talking about past years. I'm talking about these specific signings that you are saying have nothing to do with it being the players home town.

Simmonds took less money because he wanted to play at home, this has been widely reported.

Spezza welcomes shot at childhood dream with Leafs
Spezza wanted to play for his childhood team.

You brought up 2004...

And Leafs could not sign any hometown players for years. This is well known. WE know why it is happening now.

The media would have loved to asked Steve Stamkos about signing with his hometown team, but he said no thanks. The team was horrible at the time...

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
You brought up 2004...

And Leafs could not sign any hometown players for years. This is well known. WE know why it is happening now.

And you brought up the past first. So I don't get how you bringing up the past is okay but when I do it it's somehow unacceptable. I agreed with you about them not being bad helps. But you keep saying that it being there hometown has nothing to do with it despite being shown evidence.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
McDavid is a good player and will always have a lot of even strength assists, but his PPA compared to the rest of the league is probably higher than anybody else (not including defencemen). And yes he still gets a lot of secondary assist points.

Funny how that works when you pass like he does and get more assists than most players get points every year....

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
And you brought up the past first. So I don't get how you bringing up the past is okay but when I do it it's somehow unacceptable. I agreed with you about them not being bad helps. But you keep saying that it being there hometown has nothing to do with it despite being shown evidence.

I only brought up the past in pointing to 2018 as the turning point, which was relevant to the discussion. "No playoff wins" since 2004 is such a lazy, cliched troll move. No relevance to anything. Different players, ownership, management, Everything. Doesn't even enter players minds who want to win in 2021

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I only brought up the past in pointing to 2018 as the turning point, which was relevant to the discussion. "No playoff wins" since 2004 is such a lazy, cliched troll move. No relevance to anything.

It is when you are trying to use organizational success to disprove widely reported facts about players wanting to play at home. You're literally saying its wrong to say that these players, who have said themselves that they wanted to play at home, only want to play for the leafs because they are so successful.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
It is when you are trying to use organizational success to disprove widely reported facts about players wanting to play at home. You're literally saying its wrong to say that these players, who have said themselves that they wanted to play at home, only want to play for the leafs because they are so successful.

What widely reported facts? You're bringing up media quotes. look at what guys like Spezza and Thornton have said about how good the team is. That's their #1 priority. THe media asked Spezza about playing for his hometown team and answered. I've heard him bringing up the cup way more since he's been here. Pierre Lebrun tweeting "Hometown allure" doesn't change that,

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Once again, I stated it was because the team can compete for a cup. It isn't because it's their "Hometown" team. No Ontario players were "Going home" prior to 2018. I know Lebrunn said "Hometown Allure" but that doesb't make it so. If the team was bad, he wouldn't go.
And spezza was going to retire because a team picking him would have been worse than the Leafs and there's no point for that salary and at his age moving away from his family.

WE know from years and years, the hometown angle doesn't mean anything without a great team and top notch organizatiom.
Where are you getting 2018? David Clarkson turned down more money to sign in Toronto (at home) for the 13/14 season.

You’ll find several examples over the years, but I find it odd you would forget David Clarkson.

Players are individuals and some value certain things more than others. You’re trying too hard and looking to give Dubas credit for the market he works in rather than the work he’s actually done.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Where are you getting 2018? David Clarkson turned down more money to sign in Toronto (at home) for the 13/14 season.

You’ll find several examples over the years, but I find it odd you would forget David Clarkson.

This is true but Edmonton was a worse team which you are ignoring (They offered the contract). Leafs had made the playoffs the year previously.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
What widely reported facts? You're bringing up media quotes. look at what guys like Spezza and Thornton have said about how good the team is. That's their #1 priority. THe media asked Spezza about playing for his hometown team and answered. I've heard him bringing up the cup way more since he's been here.

Every player who signs on any team is going to bring up the cup. Hell even Taylor Hall said he was going to Buffalo to win when he signed there. Facts are, Spezza would rather not play at all then play anywhere else then his hometown team. Simmonds turned down more money to play for his hometown team.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015

Everyone tries to forget Clarkson and that contract...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->