BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
churchladyspecial.gif

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Are they in a pretty good position to miss? Probability models show they're far more likely to make it than miss. We only have 36 games remaining in the season you need to remember.

As to your last point I highly doubt you have seen more of McDavid than 99.99% of Oilers fans on HF boards, which are really the only relevant fans in this debate because you aren't debating with non-HF fans here. A lot of Oilers fans watch Leafs games while waiting for Oilers games, while I doubt the same is true to the same extent for Leafs fans who are far more likely to be heading to bed with 9 or 10pm local time starts (we all have jobs and responsibilities after all).

More likely to make the playoffs then not, sure. But a hearty LOL at anyone who thinks they're a lock (or that McDavid is a lock for the Hart). This seems so obvious that I'm baffled that people actually exist who think this, perhaps they just don't understand what lock means in this context, not sure.

Most people watch only their team play so I sincerely doubt that there are many Oiler fans who watch Leaf games. The only exception for me personally in McDavid as I was very interested in watching him play his first few years in the league.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
More likely to make the playoffs then not, sure. But a hearty LOL at anyone who thinks they're a lock (or that McDavid is a lock for the Hart). This seems so obvious that I'm baffled that people actually exist who think this, perhaps they just don't understand what lock means in this context, not sure.

Most people watch only their team play so I sincerely doubt that there are many Oiler fans who watch Leaf games. The only exception for me personally in McDavid as I was very interested in watching him play his first few years in the league.

Obviously nobody is a lock for anything, and I have never said McDavid is a lock. He could get injured tomorrow or Edmonton could go on a 10 game losing streak. He absolutely is the favourite though and would win the award if the season abruptly ended today.

Our around the league threads are very active during Leafs games, idc if you believe it or not.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I am sorry, but look at the game tonight. I barely knew matthews was playing. A guy like McDavid would have literally created 5-10 great chances by himself.

This is how I see it overall. You could put two scrubs with mcDavid/Crosby and I think they come out fairly well. Put 2 scrubs next to Matthews and I do not think he comes close to these guys. Matthews, from what I have always seen, needs a playmaker for him and also somebody to do some heavy lifting.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Obviously nobody is a lock for anything, and I have never said McDavid is a lock. He could get injured tomorrow or Edmonton could go on a 10 game losing streak. He absolutely is the favourite though and would win the award if the season abruptly ended today.

Our around the league threads are very active during Leafs games, idc if you believe it or not.

He's probably the favourite at this point, that seems reasonable. I was disputing the claim McDavid is a lock for the Hart, I never said you were the one saying it.

I rarely peek at other team's boards so I guess I'll take your word for it. It is surprising to me though as like I said, most fans just watch their own team so I don't see why would Oiler fans want to watch the Leafs play? Do Oiler fans just hate the Leafs that much or what?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I am sorry, but look at the game tonight. I barely knew matthews was playing. A guy like McDavid would have literally created 5-10 great chances by himself.

This is how I see it overall. You could put two scrubs with mcDavid/Crosby and I think they come out fairly well. Put 2 scrubs next to Matthews and I do not think he comes close to these guys. Matthews, from what I have always seen, needs a playmaker for him and also somebody to do some heavy lifting.

Of course that's how you see it. :rolleyes:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He's probably the favourite at this point, that seems reasonable. I was disputing the claim McDavid is a lock for the Hart, I never said you were the one saying it.

I rarely peek at other team's boards so I guess I'll take your word for it. It is surprising to me though as like I said, most fans just watch their own team so I don't see why would Oiler fans want to watch the Leafs play? Do Oiler fans just hate the Leafs that much or what?
I mean a lot do, but generally our fan base at least on HF usually watches the 5pm/7ET Canadian game because it's on TV.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The only?

naturalstattrick has a page full of stats showing McDavid is better analytically when it comes to their defensive game

Was gonna comment until I saw what you posted, kudos.
Matthews generational on the radar for hart couldn't even score against big save sieve, lmaoooo

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Lmao, of course that's what you gathered from the game tonight, but what about the previous 16 games where he had 18 goals and 28 points?

Reactions: Apex Predator

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Soon after Toronto plays against a mediocre NHL team Mathews doesn't put any points :sarcasm:

It's easy to put points against Ottawa and Vancouver as you can see from the stats.

Ottawa and Vancouver have let goals against about as much as (5 teams) Colorado, Vegas, Boston, Minnesota and Tampa bay combined :D

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

To many we are their biggest rival. It's odd.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
I think iif 1 Leaf gets an award it's Dubas actually. Thornton, Spezza, Simmonds, Bogo for 3.9 COMBINED.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
They had to take those contracts, or they couldn’t sign with the Leafs, as they had no money.
So if they had more money, they could have signed a 4th liner that's worse than Joe Thornton with a much bigger cap hit?
Terrible excuse. Vast majority of NHL teams have no cap.
Why would any GM give 3 million to a 4th liner? Dubas wouldn't do it even with more cap room.

Why do these players want to sign for that money on the Leafs? Because the team is very good? Dubas has been a big part of that since 2014.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

A lot of Oilers posters on HF watch the Leafs regularly. Myself included. For all the light hearted chirping and banter that sports fans have, the Leafs are actually a pretty fun team to watch. I enjoy watching Matthews and Marner.

It’s the early game generally on at 5:00 pm MST. I think the problem for Leafs fans outside of the truly hardcore, most only watch their team and don’t stay up to watch the Oilers who play the late game at 9:00 or 10:00 pm EST. Which is fairly understandable given people work in the mornings. Not to mention TSN and Sportsnet heavily cater to that market.

Some of the ignorance just comes from time zone differences not making it conducive to watching the Oilers/Flames/Canucks games late in the evening. Whereas for fans in Alberta/BC it’s much easier to watch the Eastern games earlier before ours as a kind of an appetizer before the main course.

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
The real question is why all the haters won't acknowledge Matthews as the clear favourite for Vezina, Norris, Masterton and Lady Byng.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Selke lol, man Thornton must have brought some wacky tabacky from out west in his beard.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
If Matthews wins any award will we hear the whining that it was only becaose of eastern writers? Like when Jets fans said that'\s the only reason Matthews won ROTY?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->